1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How's this for eating clean? Diet to become fit.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Going to eat the following every day:

Breakfast - oatmeal, bananas, couple strawberries, milk

Lunch - tuna, yams or sweet potatoes, handful of almonds

Dinner - salmon or chicken, broccoli, protein powder, couple strawberries

This is the cheapest healthy diet i could do for myself. How's this compared to having subway and whataburger every day? Can i expect a lot of change with my body?

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

My life changing diet occurred when I stretched that out to 5-6 meals.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Are you going to be working out?

I would try to replace the bananas with any two other fruits (or make sure the bananas are not ripe), and replace the milk with orange juice or a serving of raw spinach.

Also, I'm guessing you're talking about canned tuna here. I don't eat seafood so I'm not the best person to ask, but I'm pretty sure canned anything is not good for your health so do some research on that especially if you're going to have it routinely.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

What's wrong with bananas?

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Higher sugar content.

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

What's bad about tuna in a can with water? It's a good source of protein.

But, it's natural sugars and carbs. I don't see anything wrong with a banana or two a day, especially if you're working out.

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with bananas or any fruit for that matter. Get real folks.

The one concern with doing that diet is that it's boring... Continue to find ways to mix it up. Maybe an omelette some mornings, etc etc

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Put a small amount of protein powder in your oatmeal.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

myfitnesspal.com

track what you eat there

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I think i can do it consistently without getting bored.

And yes, i work out. What's wrong with milk? I bought skim milk.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nothing at all.

12. Asian Sensation

Eat what you want as long as it fits your macros. Make sure you hit your micros and fiber numbers first though. Dieting shouldn't have to be bland or boring.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Currently my diet is 85% + organic, non GMO, free range, grass fed.

Roughly 25% of the meat I eat is wild game meat.

Roughly 50% vegetables, 25% meat, 10% fruits, 10% dairy and roughly 2% grains with the ocassional chocolate or "garbage food".

Was a very, very hard diet to do at first, but it has gotten progressively easier. I was not a believer in new age bull****, but I have to say the dietary changes I have made have been amazing. My back pain went away, I lost approximately 40 lbs, I now have a 33 inch waist. I only need a few hours a night sleep and seldom if ever get sick.

The biggest drawback? Try $1,500 a month in grocery bills for myself, wife and son.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Why skim milk? Whole milk is better for you honestly.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member

what would be the lower cost alternative? just everything you get but not in organic?

Also sorry to ask but can you give a breakfast,lunch, dinner and snack (total consumption) breakdown?

Like Monday AM- XYZ
    Monday Lunch - XYZ
    Monday Dinner- XYZ

Tues AM- XYZ
    etc

16. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Eating clean is hard to do these days, with advertisements pounding greasy and processed foods into your subconscious day in and day out. If you really want to eat clean, turn the TV's off, cut meat out of your diet. Forget the myths, there are unlimited ways to get protein and every other source of nutrients into your body by means of veganism.
    Just sharing my experience, I've been going vegan for about a month now, and I've never felt better. The thought of meat sitting in my stomach honestly sickens me now. I think the key is to get to the point where you don't crave meat anymore. It takes a couple weeks of conditioning your body, but it is best thing you can do for your body and mind and overall health and well-being. :)

17. Classic

Classic Member

I adjusted this to be a little more reflective of what I would do but without knowing anything about your basal metabolic rate or workout schedule. The adjustments shouldn't cost too much to implement. This will help you lean up more if you're the average guy.

The goal here is to front load your carbs in the day and backend the necessary fat when the metabolism and daily activity is slowing down. Ideally, you would not mix carbs [from grains, dairy or starches] w/ fats in your meals.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

SALMON, yeah, that is REALLY cheap... :eek: said people who catch salmon.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't get atlantic salmon. All atlantic = farmed which means not as nutrient rich (or tasty) because of the crap they feed them in the farms - things fish don't eat in the wild.

20. Classic

Classic Member

Yeah, I try and only eat Wild caught. Find myself buying more steelhead trout than salmon these days.

Look out for that GMO salmon too. Just don't trust something that looks like it grew up in waters outside a nuclear powerplant:

[​IMG]