1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 86 rockets deserve more respect, not from lakers fans or celtics fans, but rockets fans here

RudyTBag and saleem like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your statement here just shows that YOU are the one who is moving the goalposts. You are probably the only one in the universe that would say going to the all star game the first four years in a player's career during a golden big men era is NOT stellar.

Being not as good as Dream = not stellar? LOL. There are only a handful of players that are "stellar" in your eyes. But no, I think you are just backpaddling after proven wrong in your "not stellar" comment.

There were extremely high expectations of Sampson coming out of college. But nobody expected him to be totally mature right from the start. People pointed out how lanky he was and thought he would be pushed around until he would gain some weight. But he actually surprised many people how strong he was. The only disappointing thing about Sampson's career was it being shortened by injury. His first few years was pretty much what people expected him to do.

As you pointed out (for a totally opposite reason) that he was 25 (yes, ONLY 25) when his got hurt. Players don't usually go into their prime and peak until they are about 27 or so.

Olajuwon's development was a true surprise. Nobody expected him to be so good so fast. And few people expected him to be the better half of the Twin Towers.

#282 Easy, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    RudyTBag likes this.
  3. jbasket

jbasket Member

Easy, my friend, let's move on from the diction. It's just convention how we label things (def. or stellar vs. not stellar) and not the focus on the argument.

There are quite a lot of responses to me, yet nobody actually is attacking my point, and my point, and I'll mention this again (and again, and again), is that Ralph Sampson was a disappointment compared to his pre-nba hype. I don't want to start going into random tangents above. And no @chenjy9 I don't think the earth is flat: how about instead of coming up with an ad-hom, create an argument instead.

He was a 3-time college player of the year. Outplayed Ewing in one of the most hyped college games of all time. 6 SI covers in 4 years. One of the most recruited HS athletes of all time. The next big (pun intended) thing after Wilt and Kareem and Russell.

And he never averaged over 21/11/2 when healthy. Are those bad numbers? Of course not: he was a 4-time all star. Nobody here is saying he's a bad talent or player. But his career arc is not what he was billed to be, and like the WaPo article says, some consider him to be one of the greatest busts of all time. He was supposed to be legendary, revolutionary, trans formative, dominant, transcendent. Rather, he was "just" all-star for "just" 4 years. And in his case, "just" is correct in context.

This is, yet again, my point. Does anybody care to argue this, and specfically, this point? I am honestly stunned that I am in the minority of this opinion, even on the Rockets forum.

And to continue along the point; I'll make another claim that even if Ralph was healthy his whole career, he still would not have lived up to the hype because at the end of the day, his hype was a goat-level center, and he would have been the 2nd fiddle on a championship team/dynasty. Great career, but nevertheless, not the 2nd coming of Wilt or Kareem, etc.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't need to create an argument for the same reason that you are in the very small minority of one on this topic, because you are completely wrong in every sense of the word. It has nothing to do with how things are label as Sampson performed at a stellar level the moment he stepped into the league until he got injured. There is a reason that the Twin Towers beat Lakers to get to the Finals despite both players being very young.

Being injured does not make you a bust. Anyone who follows that line of thought epitomizes the word "moronic".

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

Did I call him a bust? Nope. Just said that some do, which was a clear reference to the article I linked in a prior post, *not* my own words.

Did you address my claim? Negative.

Waiting on your argument.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, yes, yes and yes and this again yes.

That team was arguably better than even our championship teams. Quite possibly the greatest Rocket team ever assembled.

Ralph was a GOD Rookie that was giving Kareem THE BUSINESS as a ROOKIE.

Rashmon likes this.
  7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Ralph was not a Rookie. That makes this post here:

So ironic.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I never said he was a rookie in 86 you dunce... :D

Hence the paragraph spacing... SEPARATE STATEMENTS.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    NEVER FORGET

10. tinman

Supporting Member

If Porzingis and Zhou combined into one player, Ralph would still be better than it

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

WAY better...

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You will be waiting for a while because you literally do not have an argument. Sampson averaged 20/10 as a young player prior to injuries in the golden age of big men, an era where big men had skill. What you are doing is the equivalent of walking around Houston pointing at white cars and saying they are black and asking people to argue with you.

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Check out these dunks on Dream, the greatest C of all time. The behind the back pass on the fast break. Pull-up jumpers, turn-arounds, skyhooks, shot-blocking. The full package.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I think this only happens for the Rockets.

I know fans of other teams, like the Lakers, they respect their history. Only Rockets fans for some reason neglect their rich history
    of Moses Malone, Ralph Sampson, even Dream (Harden makes Dream obsolete thread..)

Rockets NBA Finals:
    Moses:1
    Ralph:1
    Dream:3

Zhou : 0
    Porzingis: 0

Mazulis and RudyTBag like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Will we see Zhou and Porzingis in the Dunk Contest?
    NO.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Ralph would beat Zhou and Porzingis
    1 vs 2

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Fair :) I missed that :D I apologize profusely.

@tinman , Ralph Sampson has better two-way play than both Porz and Zhou combined. Neither have sniffed playoffs, nor the all-star game. But that was never the argument.

Unfortunately you still have yet to actually refute anything I said.

My claim: he didn't live up his pre-draft hype. I illustrated how strong his pre-draft hype was, and then illustrated how his career achievements did not live up to his supposed billing.

You have yet to actually enter the playing field. I never denied his numbers. I never denied his 4 all-star experiences. But you have yet to actually answer the question: "did he live up to his pre-draft hype?" which was the original intention of this discussion. This is what @basketballholic had brought up, and I was coming to his defense.

And I decided to come up to holic's defense, because, well, I've also crucified him on this board too. It's gotta be both ways haha.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yep, just like you respected our owner. Am I doing this right?

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Charlie Thomas was great owner. He had Hakeem, beautiful uniforms, and Steve Patterson who engineered the core team and coaching staff that won two titles.

20. txn

txn Member

WTF is this? You guys compare Zhou with the legends I am not even sure if he can stay in the league long at this point. Come on now. I can feel the QOF or ZOF is in producing.

Mazulis likes this.