1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How important is a guards post defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Jun 5, 2020.

1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I hear from some that Harden is very good post defender

I always find that this is an interesting praise. To me, it is like saying a PG is a good offensive rebounder or a PG is amazing with throwing outlet passes

Dont get me wrong, it is better to be good at something vs bad but is it even important? Franky there arent that many guards that post up so the skill is not really utilized regularly

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

When they run a switching defense it matters. He very rarely defends guards in the post. He’s defending bigs, and very well at that.

topfive, JumpMan, amaru and 3 others like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

In this case, it's extremely important. The Rockets switch and don't have traditional bigs. Houston can treat him as a defensive four, which allows them to field a small, scoring lineup without losing much defensively in the post. He's strong enough to hold his own again bigger post players.

Deuce, YOLO, Nook and 4 others like this.
  4. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

I dont think you are understanding why they praise him for it. Gotta understand how they play

D-rock and DrNuegebauer like this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The answer here is that it doesn't matter what position you play, it matters what position you guard. If you guard players in the post then it's important to be a good post defender. If you never guard players in the post then it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter that Harden is a guard, it matters that he guards players in the post. And he's good at it.

D-rock, DrNuegebauer and Patience like this.
  6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To answer the question:

"It probably depends how much PF/C they play via switches".

I'm guessing you watch the Rockets? If so, you would know how often Harden is found defensively in the post.

The nonsense of him being a bad defender is all based on a selective video made by Rinfans years ago, which the ignorant focus on.
    Harden, for years, has been a solid defender (elite when switched to the post). Yes, he takes a play off now and then when up (or down?) 20. But go watch the tape of his D in close games and you'll see him winning Houston games by taking a charge, getting a steal, blocking a shot, getting a stop (etc).

Side bar: chef Curry actually IS an atrocious defender, to the extent his coach takes him off for defensive plays. But no Rinfans made videos, so nobody cares.

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wasting your time with this moron, he does not understand the first thing about basketball, nevermind the system his "favorite" team runs.

He is a Harden hater first and foremost.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It depends, it is relevant but when holding one's own isn't good enough, if you need elite production at it facing the best night in night out, then likely no.

Interesting what a potential weight loss would do to one's post D.

#8 daywalker02, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

this dude really said “there aren’t that many guards that post up”...so u don’t even understand that the Rockets employ a switching defense and that Harden is regularly guarding bigs in the post...

Harden has allowed just 0.65 points per post-up in 2019-20, the second-best mark of 50 players with at least 50 post possessions defended. He's also been an effective pick-and-roll defender. Harden allows just 0.78 points when defending the ball-handler in a PnR, ranking 31st of the 164 qualified players.

this season Harden is 3rd in percentage of defensive possessions spent guarding the post among regular rotation players, and he’s leading the league with 107 possessions spent guarding the post...the next closest is Maxi Kleiber with 83

last season he had the highest frequency of possessions spent guarding the post at 20%...next closest was at 12.5%...he had 212 possessions spent guarding the post with Cauley-Stein being the next closest at 144

so yes, an NBA player who plays in a switching defense, spends the most possessions in the league guarding the post, is the best post defender in the NBA, and is also good at guarding the PnR ball handler is a huge deal

I give this thread 0/5 stars

destroying Harden haters like OP is my favorite pastime...coronavirus had put me out of commission, but with the NBA coming back, I’ll be back to continue handing out these beatdowns

jordnnnn, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL stupid LOF

D-rock likes this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

/thread.

Obviously, someone like Caruso probably isn't going to look to back down Harden to try to get points. However, switching his defender (Harden) onto someone like Anthony Davis should, in theory, be the more favorable matchup.

Even though the big man offense is "dead," you still have guys like Davis, Harrell, Jokic, Porzingis, Aldridge, etc who all like to use the post. And that's just in the WC.

12. rocketseagles07

It’s definitely important for a switching defense and harden is great at it. HOWEVER, I don’t think enough attention gets paid to how many times he doesn’t even try to fight over the screen. And yes I know you guys are going to say it’s by design but none of our other guards do it.

Either way two things can be true, he’s great at it and I love when teams try to attack him there. At the same time, I’d like to see him at least try to fight over the screen more.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Interesting comparisons. Good offensive rebounding PG's (like Steve Francis) are helpful for the same reason anyone getting offensive rebounds is helpful. And I've seen Stockton & Magic win games with key late-game outlet passes.

14. vlaurelio

WB and says hi LOF

D-rock likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

@hikanoo49

if it weren't for Harden your hero Jermey Lin would have made one of your predictions a reality right?

1. A pass first Derrick Rose with better BB IQ

2. A younger more athletic Tony Parker

3. A more athletic John Stockton without the jump shot

4. A stronger more athletic Steve Nash