1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about this year's draft class?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about this draft now?

1. F - Worst Draft Ever

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. D - Can any of these guys even play?

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. C - Will look great in a couple years but we needed starters now

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. C+ - Not super excited but in Gaine we trust I guess

34 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. B - Competition at all key positions, no complaints

46 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. B+ - Great job by the Texans, filled up holes with quality players

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. A - In Gaine we trust...again

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. A+ - 7 pro bowlers got drafted today

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not making the trade was not the problem. Not choosing players who have proven themselves against top tier/ better talent was.

arkoe likes this.
  2. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

So by that rationale teams shouldn’t have drafted Jerry Rice, Larry Allen, Steve McNair, Doug WIlliams, London Fletcher, Khalil Mack, Carson Wentz, Joe Flacco, Adam Thielen, Ben Roethlisberger, James Harrison, Jimmy G, Tony Romo, David Johnson, Terron Armstead, Adam Vinatieri, Malcolm Butler, Danny Woodhead.

All of those guys played at small schools and some are amongst the best at their position in the league (or all time greats - Rice and Allen). While it’s harder to predict success from smaller school players, there have been some absolute studs that come from smaller programs.

3. CrazyJoeDavola

Either the Texans are smarter than everyone else as whole or everyone else is smarter than them.

I am betting on the field.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

No doubt. Common sense is to bet on the field. Texans are just a football business and right now it's all about generating more profit. Winning is not a huge concern now. I wish they would admit that just to gain more trust with the fanbase.

raining threes likes this.
  5. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Look at it this way: what position was it painfully obvious we needed? Which player was the consensus most polished at that position?

6. magichat281

magichat281 Member

OT aren't projects when they enter the nft. Offensive linemen either they have it or they don't. Can they move laterally while blocking and how quick they get off the snap. Hands and conditioning is only thing you can learn in nfl but besides that theres nothing much OT can learn in nfl.

7. magichat281

magichat281 Member

i like that pick. He can hold big TEs. Hes a huge cb 6-3 big boy got some speed good enough to play.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Interesting I haven't been able to find anything about our rookies from the OTAs.

I take that as O'Brien is really putting a clamp on the fluff pieces or they're really not impressing the team-hired media, which doesn't bode well still all.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I noticed that as well. You can find info on other teams OTAs but not ours.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I am still not too excited.

#191 Chilly_Pete, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  12. Texanstradamus

Any word on Lonnie johnson ?

13. Texanstradamus

If Lonnie and Howard can pan out I feel this draft will be a success

14. body slam

body slam Member

It was not a sexy draft for the Texans, but the more I look at the draft as a whole. The entire draft was not that sexy. Overall it just seemed kind of blah.

15. Texanstradamus

A lot of corners fell and some of the Top O-linemen just hope we got the 2 best and if warring or the DLmen we took can have a impact I consider this draft a success

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

I feel like drafting another TE in the third round was a bad pick, when you consider that we already have four TE's on the roster. Not to mention, we had already drafted a 26 year old TE (Jordan Aikins) in the third round of last years draft. So they're basically admitting to wasting a pick drafting Aikins.

The only way Kahale Warring would be considered a good pick is if he develops into a pro bowl TE like Kelce or Ertz. If he turns out to be just another guy, then he's just another wasted draft pick.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That is a DUMB assertion. Third round is about getting TALENT. Just because you already have players at a position, doesn’t mean u pass on someone u rate high. Griffin was already on his way out. Aikins and Thomas are 2nd year players that showed promise. You signed an OLDER FA TE that is no lock to make the team. Warring is a downfield TE that the Texans haven’t had since Owen Daniels. He just has to be productive to be a good pick.

body slam likes this.
  18. mario_v

mario_v Member

The Texans had many needs coming into the draft, TE wasn't one of them. If you draft a project TE in the third round, over a bigger position of need, then he better be good. Especially when you already have a promising TE in Thomas and Aikins who's looking like a waste of third round pick and he's already 27 years old. Also, if the Texans value blocking, then Fells will make the team.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wasted pick after 1 season? He was a ROOKIE. Age doesn't matter. He made some catches. Let's see what he does this season before u say a wasted pick. Geez. Texans can carry 4 TEs if they want.

No Worries likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It was clear with our first 3 picks we went after need, perhaps sacrificing higher rated talent (no one but Texans staff know for sure). I felt in 3rd, Gaine finally went for a player that was highest ranked on his board. I loved the Warring pick, because he's a very unique football player given his previous athletic experiences.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Warring could end up as the best pick of this draft. His body type and athletic skills are unique. He's already been recognized as a guy that comes in early and stays late. His frame and hands make him an excellent target for our young QB.

The film I watched on him looks like he ran mostly curls and outs, when he split out or ran a route down field, he usually made a great play. He still looks a bit raw in his routes, but that's to be expected given his background.

He supposedly is a good blocker, I haven't seen enough to verify, but he's supposedly willing which is important for a TE.

Last year's TE draft I was luke warm on. Atkins didn't excite me at all, but I really liked Thomas in RD 6. We'll see how camp goes, but Warring could push for #1 spot, but will likely at least be Thomas backup (barring injuries).