1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you evaluate the Fultz for Tatum trade?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Dec 12, 2017.

?

How do you evaluate the Fultz for Tatum trade?

1. Lopsided in favor of Celtics

49 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. Somewhat in favor of Celtics

16 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. Even trade

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Somewhat in favor of 76ers

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Lopsided in favor of 76ers

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

The Celtics had the first pick and traded it to the 76ers for the third pick and a future first round pick.

Since Fultz was considered the top prospect and Ball was clearly going to the Lakers, it effectively was a Fultz for Tatum trade.

The trade made no sense to me for the Sixers. It's not like Fultz is so much better than the other top prospects. And many analysts considered Fultz's game to have serious deficiencies.

And now with Tatum becoming the clear top pick and Fultz and Ball teetering on busto status, it seems like Ainge basically stole a future first round pick from the 76ers for nothing.

Do others agree as well?

roslolian likes this.
  2. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Yup.

But I think Fultz will be a good player. Just that nobody seems to be saying whats wrong with him currently, and why they tried to play him through the injury.

3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

looks very lopsided in favor of the celtics but it's still too early to know what fultz is. he's hardly played. we can judge the trade a lot better 3 years from now.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s hard to judge. But the Celtics have a chance to win a million games the next several years.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Takes longer for Markelle obviously. Tatum is going to rule for now.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Could you draft a Tatum with a healthy Ben Simmons coming back though?

7. calcium

calcium Member

I think PHI was scared that LAL would go for Fultz and wanted to take no chances.

8. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Way too early to say but Fultz is more talented than Tatum IMO. You also have to consider fit and coaching. Obviously the health is a big factor now. And lol @ calling Fultz/Ball busts as we've barely passed a quarter of the season...

OP, why do you make so many similar threads? I can't really think of a word or phrase to categorize them.

Louka likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You guys are nuts.

It's year one, it's 25 games into the season. Fultz has missed 21 games and was playing with an injury.

Lets burry this thread for about 3 years and then dig it up.

For all we know a guy like Kuzma may flop out of the league after a super hot start and a guy like Ball could end up being a superstar after a very slow start. It's 25 freaking games into their rookie year, give the guys a couple of years at least.

10. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

The thing to keep in mind is the value of the 76ers first round pick.

So it is comparing Fultz to Tatum + 76ers pick.

Although doubtful, let's say Fultz turns out to be about equally good as Tatum. That still makes the trade lopsided because then the 76ers essentially gave away their pick for nothing.

The only way the trade is even is if Fultz is better than Tatum to the extent that it makes up for losing their future 1st round pick. That's very hard to see happening.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They already had Covington so the didn't really need another shooter and no on knew he was going shoot over 50 percent for 3's. If he continues to be a near 50 percent shooter from downtown, the league is in trouble.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's more accurate to say it's the Lakers pick. Sixers own the Lakers pick, with protection, and that is what was traded. So Sixers won't be without a pick.

It goes like this:
    2018 -- Cletics get Lakers pick if it is 2-5th
    2019 -- Celtics get the best of the Lakers or Sixers pick.

That said, I agree with you. Since Tatum is already proving to be a star potential pick, Faulk would have to be max supperstar to overcome Tatum and the pick...

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Right now it appears the Celts robbed the Sixers but we have to wait until Fultz gets on the floor before having any idea.

Prior to the draft, I thought Fultz would be better than Tatum. After watching Tatum so far, that seems unlikely.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

19 years old, 4 games, 76 minutes, with a bad shoulder injury.

Clearly time to call him a bust. I have no idea what kind of player he will be, but it's ridiculously stupid to make any call on him right now.

Tatum looks great though, no disagreement on that.

Yung-T and BallSoHarden like this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There you go being all reasonable!

But agreed. I wouldn't even start to try to evaluate this deal until at least 2-3 years in. I will say that right now it appears that whoever got the better end of the deal the Celtics seem to make the right move for their franchise right now. Tatum is a big part of why they're the #1 seed in the East.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Right now it looks like Boston robbed Philly, but with Fultz having his shoulder issues this year that shouldn't be surprising.

The only thing about Fultz that concerns me is I don't know if he's very good at passing or moving the ball in general. I remember one of the early narratives of Fultz/Ball is that Ball was more of a high usage, classic PG and Fultz was a combo guard. But the stats from college showed otherwise: Fultz had a higher usage %age and held the ball for longer than Ball did.

That's not something that I would use to condemn Fultz (small sample; could be misleading due to bad Washington team, etc.), but it is something that might be a sign of a trait that I'd rather not have in a PG.

17. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The guy hasn't even played , Victor Olidipo didn't look worthy of his selection until this year.

DonatasFanboy likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking worse than Joe Chee

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I would be very worried if I were a Sixers fan...his jumper is ugly and broke

his release and form looked so much better just a year ago in college...he had a few issues such as shooting from NBA range and his jumper being a little slow, but damn, he has ruined his jumper

he also always looks so nonchalant and lazy as well

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sam Hinkie wouldn’t have made this stupid ass deal.