1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston traffic question (288/Beltway)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the shark, Jan 20, 2016.

1. the shark

the shark Member

My mother has Bladder cancer, and has an appointment at MD Anderson tomorrow morning at 7:15am. Live down here in Clear Lake, and was planning on picking her up at 6am. Thinking of taking the Beltway west and then taking 288 north. I haven't driven this route that early in yrs, and was wondering what the traffic is going to be like at this time?

When does the beltway start backing up?

When does 288 start backing up (heading north)?

Is this the best route to go, and if not any other suggestions/

Also F*&K cancer!!!!!

2 people like this.
  2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Google Maps allows you to find out typical drive times based on time and day. According to them, to get to MD Anderson around 7am tomorrow from Clear Lake, it says if you take BW8 up 288, it's about 33-55 mins. Kind of a big range there, but you could always check tomorrow morning when it takes into account live traffic.

The drive time going straight in on 45 is 30 mins to 1h...basically the same.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your mother, thoughts with her and you.

I live just south of 288/BW8 and drive through to get to work, hitting it around 6:30am each morning. It will definitely be backed up but usually no more 15-20 minutes max from there to 610 (note that I don't enter from the Beltway so I'm not sure how bad it can get from this area, but I've never noticed it being awful). Once you clear that backup it should be smooth sailing to MD Anderson.

If you want to give yourself plenty of time, leave at 5:45. When I have to be at work early I leave at 6 and typically hit little to no traffic. The traffic on 288 gets progressively worse from 6:15-6:30, etc. Also have to keep in mind how far you will have to park, if you have to shuttle, etc.

4. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

If you pick her up at 6 am, just go straight up 45 and you'll be fine.

5. the shark

the shark Member

Thanks so much!!!

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Hope everything works out!

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I strongly suggest you use the traffic function of Google Maps. It is totally awesome.

I commute from Missouri City to/from IAH every day. There are 5-6 different routes I take and it's based on what Google's traffic maps say at the time. They are dead on correct.

Probably at some point most people will discover this but it's good right now that very few have. A few years ago I used the Houston Transtar app but G-Maps blows it out of the water.

8. the shark

the shark Member

Thanks Joeson332 & A_3PO!!

9. DieHard Rocket

Have you tried the Waze app? I don't drive quite as far as you, but do drive from Pearland to the 610/290 interchange so there are a few routes I can take. Waze is fantastic. I've found it to be a even more reliable than Google Maps.

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

never tried Google maps. Waze is terrific!

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I tried Waze right after the Google acquisition was announced and found it to be a mess compared to G-Maps. It was far inferior at giving directions and traffic flow information.

Now that G-Maps has the accident reporting data from Waze, I really don't see the use for Waze at all.

Seriously: Tell me if (and how) it has improved. I'm open-minded. The social aspect of Waze has no appeal at all to me.

12. DieHard Rocket

I'm not sure what it was like at first, I've only been using it for 4 months (when I started a longer commute). I was very skeptical at first and didn't think I would prefer it over GMaps but it won me over. It just seems to be quicker to respond to conditions ahead on your route and will let you know if your ETA is delayed so that you can look at alternate routes, or in some cases it will change your route for you.

I think the overall reporting is what sets it apart, allowing users to report heavy or standstill traffic (not necessarily related to an accident) and it tracks user speed so it knows exaxtly how well a route is flowing. Google always felt like it was a step slow on traffic buildups (and even accidents) to me...it would send me down a route that would look relatively clear, only to hit bumper to bumper.

13. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

Waze is awesome for spotting potential cop locations on roadtrips

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I live in Clear Lake and work at MD Anderson in the Med center. Since it's the two of you, your best bet is to take the gulf freeway HOV. Even without using it, 45 tends to be faster than beltway. Seriously though, just take the HOV. I often pay 4.50 each way to take it by myself (2+ people only from 6:30 - 8:00 am. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

As others said, Waze is awesome. I use it everyday going both ways of my commute.

15. the shark

the shark Member

Decided to take 45 north to 610. Left at 5:52am and got there at 6:22 (30 minutes total). Wasn't bad at all.

Having to go back again tomorrow so she can get another CT scan.

Appreciate the help again my friends. Thank you!!

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Based on comments here, I will re-install Waze and give it another chance.