1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston named worst city to be an NFL fan. Discuss.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SemisolidSnake, Feb 19, 2019.

1. SemisolidSnake

Not trying to be provocative here. The thread title is basically the title of various other articles and tweets (see below.) I just came across this report, and I thought it would be a decent nucleation point for discussion of what Houston fans think of Houston as any NFL city. Certainly, come at it from whatever angle you want; doesn't need to be related to the content of this report.

---

But speaking of the report, here's the background info on it for reference:

I originally was alerted to it from this article from MSN someone sent me. The article specifically refers to this tweet:

That said, the children that write MSN articles couldn't do one minute of digging like I did to figure out that that tweet actually refers to this report from WalletHub:

Best & Worst Cities for Football Fans

WalletHub's full methodology for ranking cities as "Best Football Cities for Fans" is listed at the end of article. The report assigns a College Football Rank, a Pro Football Rank, and a Total Score to each city. If you sort the table by Pro Football Rank, Houston comes up 30 out of 30, and THAT'S where all these derivative articles and tweets come from.

---

Anyway, I look forward to y'all's opinions on the relative pros and cons of Houston and other cities when it comes being a pro football fan.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOL. Its been discussed.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's because of the organization.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

5. raining threes

The ownership fostering a corporate environment and not doing everything possible to put the best product on the field has contributed to this situation. But it has made the McNair's alot of money.

Hopefully the on field product changes under Cal's leadership.

buffalobills!!! and MiddleMan like this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

No. It's because there isn't a very good college team in town (or close enough) and they have the pro team has a short history. If they based it on just the pro team, there are several cities that are worse. Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Miami, Tampa, just to name a few.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Will this ranking lower ticket prices?????????

Houstunna, Von Rafer, msn and 4 others like this.
  8. aznhowie20

aznhowie20 Member

^^ Asking the important question here. ^^

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I was a child when the AFL was created. It was glorious, and two great years for Houston. With exception of the Luv Ya Blue era and Warren Moon, it has been largely downhill since then. Watson gives fans a glimmer of hope, but he needs a much better supporting cast to do much. In summary, it has been a lifetime of Houston pro football disappointment. We have had some of football's worst coaches. Team management has been abysmal.

MadMax, charlieaustin and juanm34 like this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Houston NFL football is either trash or a tease... to make a long story short. I do believe the fans are great though and deserve at least one super bowl win.

11. dmoneybangbang

Their point system:

Pro Football – Total Points = 75
    • Number of NFL Teams: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)
    • Performance Level of NFL Team: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)
      Note: This metric was calculated using the past three seasons’ averages and the following formula: Number of Wins / Total Number of Games Played.
    • Number of NFL Championships Wins: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)
    • Number of NFL Division Championship Wins: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
    • Number of Hall-of-Fame Head Coaches: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
    • Franchise Value: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
      Note: This metric measures the team(s) estimated value in millions of dollars.
    • Average Ticket Price for an NFL Game: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)
    • NFL Fan Engagement: Full Weight (~8.82 Points)
      Note: This metric measures the number of Twitter followers and Facebook “Likes” (on each team’s official accounts) per capita.
    • Number of Coaches in Past 10 Seasons: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
      Note: “Past 10 Seasons” include seasons 2009-2010 to 2018-2019.
    • NFL Stadium Capacity: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
      Note: This metric was calculated using the following formula: Stadium Capacity / Total City Population.
    • Attendance: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
      Note: This metric was calculated using the following formula: Average Home-Fan Attendance / Stadium Capacity.
    • Popularity Index: Half Weight (~4.41 Points)
    College Football – Total Points = 25
    • Number of College Football (FBS & FCS) Teams: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
    • Performance Level of College Football (FBS & FCS) Team(s): Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
      Note: This metric was calculated using the past three seasons’ averages and the following formula: Number of Wins / Total Number of Games Played.
    • Number of College Football (FBS & FCS) Championship Wins: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
    • Number of College Football (FBS & FCS) Conference Championship Wins: Half Weight (~1.79 Points)
    • Number of Hall-of-Fame Head Coaches: Half Weight (~1.79 Points)
    • Minimum Season-Ticket Price for College Football (FBS & FCS) Game: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
    • College Football Fan Engagement: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
      Note: This metric measures the number of Twitter followers and Facebook “Likes” (on each team’s official accounts) per capita.
    • Number of Coaches in Past 10 Seasons: Half Weight (~1.79 Points)
      Note: “Past 10 Seasons” include seasons 2009–2010 to 2018–2019.
    • College Football (FBS & FCS) Stadium Capacity: Half Weight (~1.79 Points)
      Note: This metric was calculated using the following formula: Stadium Capacity / Total City Population.

12. dmoneybangbang

^^^With that system..... yea I can see how the Texans and UH/Rice let us down.

13. Win

Win Contributing Member

I'll decide when to discuss.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  14. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

I am surprised and disagree. Houston is a great city.

15. conquistador#11

if they're going by superbowl wins then how can argue with that. The oilers as much as we love the powder blue unies never gave us much in the 80s and early 90s.
    But the Texans were est. in 2002, almost 17 years. Pats, Packers and Colts had 20 year droughts. With a holy phenom, in Watson, under center, there is an opportunity to get one of those ugly lombardi trophies. It would look cooler in diamond. The lombardi trophy is worth $50,000. Cheap bastards.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"Powder" blue? SMH...

csj likes this.
  17. csj

csj Member

18. conquistador#11

the kits from the 70s to late 80s ranged more in powder and pale blue than "baby"
    In fact in Earl's last few seasons, the blue in the scheme was something not even close to those 3. I guess you wanted me to use "baby".

My fave kit, very rare from 1983, but had to let go as it was from my chubbier days and xxl.
    Nick would shake his head if I said today was Friday and would argue it wasn't.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Oilers have always gone by a very specific name of blue.

msn, macho GRANDE and csj like this.
  20. maw7079_2000

maw7079_2000 Member

Because Bill O’ Brien will be the head coach for the next 10 years. Watson will help him keep his job for that long... but he is going to waste Watson over those years. It’s incredibly frustrating.

Houstunna and Coach Bear like this.