1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Houston honors local hero for efforts during Harvey

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Aug 14, 2018.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

You have to be ****ing kidding me?!

This is a joke.

Sorry not sorry.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Religious institutions should be socialized. Once you hit a cap the money is pooled and distributed between other churches.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't really hate him. I think the theology he preaches and writes is kinda mickey mouse, but I'm not a Christian anyway. So to me he is effectively just a CEO of a large nonprofit. His nonprofit helped thousands of families recover from Harvey. That's great. No shade on them for that. My beef is with the City of Houston giving him and Lakewood special recognition for their contributions when really there were hundreds of nonprofits (and for-profits) and thousands upon thousands of people who also gave sacrificially to attend to the same need. Lakewood might have been a big player because of their scale but not because they were more committed or more sacrificial than some local church that gave from what they had, or Joe Citizen who waded down the street to help a neighbor. My church was an enormous help to me; where's their recognition? My company was also a huge help; where's their recognition? So what is the city doing putting a spotlight on this one organization? Is it because a lot of campaign dollars come from Lakewood congregants (that's rhetorical, the answer is yes)? Is it because they have staff who have very intentionally lobbied and developed relationships with city leaders so they can get special treatment (again, I think that's a yes)? These aren't good reasons. Big pat on the back for Lakewood, but the city shows no class doing the patting.

Major and JumpMan like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lakewood employees hundreds of people so I'm not about to hate on the business he grew that cuts checks to 4 people I know personally. They pay well too so I'll focus on hating Walmart instead.

Sajan likes this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Ahh, damn.....I thought they were talking about -

[​IMG]

They got the wrong guy.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Don't worry, he'll get his when he's super president of Texas.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Unlike Walmart, a church or religious institution provides no real tangible product to a community. At least I can buy a microwave or ping pong paddle at Walmart. A corporation pays taxes and is not a burden to society.

That being said, I have no issue of Lakewood not opening their church during the floods. As it's a well run money making operation, they should be allowed to do whatever they want to maximize revenues and ensure future success. I don't think the city or any public opinion should make them change what's best for them or their constituents.

donkeypunch likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So you think Walmart provides more for the community than Lakewood? That’s just a stupid opinion but since you’re just trolling I’ll LOL

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Walmart serves a far greater number of people than Lakewood. Can you buy a rifle, American flag, bird seed and a 20 quart cooler at Lakewood?Possible, but unlikely.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I've been an avid Target customer for a while now specifically avoiding WalMart people but I have to admit WalMart wins this round.

11. Buck Turgidson

Dude, you ARE "Walmart people".

Nook likes this.
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

add another one to the "I like to tell people I have them on ignore but really I read all their posts" list

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Where is Mattress Mack's award?

Killatron 2000 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't worry, Mack does a good job going around giving himself credit. :p

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

At least Mack didn't have to be publicly shamed into opening his store

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  16. Vanilla Thunder

Vanilla Thunder Contributing Member

Color me astonished that this post made 2 pages without being exiled to DnD. Not much that is polarizing as religion.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Most people agree this guy is a fraud.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Less polarizing about religion but more about honoring a less deserving organization.