1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Poloshirtbandit

I'm wondering how much of this is his dad's decision.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup and as a grad transfer, he’d be able to play next season. Not sure if they’d be interested but OU, LSU, and Georgia will all be replacing their starting QBs.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Maybe King just doesn't fit the system and this is way to give him more time to adjust to it or realize it won't work and to move on... I don't understand how Corbin fits in though. The "package deal" makes no sense. Why would he risk going somewhere else and possibly not playing at all just to be with King. Is King also going to demand Corbin starts for the new team as well?

I think Dana is trying something innovative with these seniors (including Carr) but gambling with King. But because King is a senior, hasn't performed well (passing) and they're off to a bad start, in the end it's only gambling on 8 remaining games of an inaccurate quarterback leading a battered team with little depth.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Especially if there's money involved.

If you read the story Duarte wrote, it does not paint a picture that puts Holgorsen as part of the decision process.

King and Corbin are projecting that this year will be a rough one and so they essentially hit the eject button on the whole thing in hopes of landing somewhere better next year, be that on a better UH team (lol) or elsewhere.

They maintain the veneer of plausibility deniability in pursuit of their degrees, but even that looks to be a career move and not an academic one (grad transfer).

If I'm Holgorsen, I can't let these guys back in the program after torpedoing an entire year of everyone else's career and life for their own purposes. Especially King. If you do let them come back, make them backups next year.

They did what was best for themselves, now the program should do what is best for itself, and that's to move on.

5. dc rock

How is that the simplest explanation? Why would they need plausible deniability? Also, Holgorsen was part of the process. King didn't just walk into the coach's office and say "my pop and I decided to redshirt, bro. Smell ya later."

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Plausible deniability allows them to finish their degrees without the stress that bailing on their teammates in the middle of the season would certainly bring. It also lets your “Captain” look like less of an a-hole to the outside world.

7. dc rock

This isn't a simple explanation though, which is what I'm responding to... I don't know what the truth is, but saying that two guys conspired to lie to their teammates, friends, coaches, fans, etc. to momentarily hide the truth (when they left, the jig is up obviously) is not a simpler explanation than Dana asking seniors if they want to redshirt and come back for another season.

I just don't see the need to lie about it in this situation. It's not like they're at Alabama or Notre Dame where a horde of weirdo fans would hound them and their families. Is it for a semester's worth of tuition? I don't understand why Corbin, who's not even the best receiver on the team, would be all in on this plan of deception, either. Maybe this is all correct, but it's not Occam's razor. More like Sartre's hairbrush.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly at this point it is irrelevant.

They either are back starting in 2020 or they transfer.

This season is a wash either way.

Luckily the 2020 team should be pretty good defensively.

Pat and YOLO like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

even if the coogs ran the table and won the next 8 games, which is highly unlikely, they still wouldn't put themselves in a position of anything significant as far as postseason play. it's actually not that bad of an idea that king doesn't completely waste a full year of eligibility knowing the season won't be beneficial to him no matter how it ends up. Holgerson has acknowledged previously red shirting as a point of emphasis of his. he didn't think it was used enough in recent years and has wasted seasons for many of the players.

Nook likes this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Maybe, but is a coach asking his starting quarterback and team captain to redshirt a simple explanation when something like that has, to the best of my knowledge, literally never happened before? Coaches are a competitive bunch. Ive never heard of one willing to throw in the towel on an entire season after just four games, and that’s exactly what he would be doing if he was encouraging his seniors to redshirt. I mean, hell, I’m not saying that I know what is going on better than anyone else, but that would be unprecedented. As for the hordes of weirdo fans hounding them, that’s probably true, but I can all but guarantee there are a lot of guys in that locker room who are his teammates who would be straight up PISSED if this turns into a transfer situation, and saying you are coming back avoids all that conflict. It’s the path of least resistance, which to me actually is the simple explanation to all this. I guess we’ll see!

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Dana has said many times he wants guys to redshirt and he was working to get several of them to buy into the idea. Maybe King and Corbin are gone but I think this was Dana's plan from day one.

YOLO likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Managing redshirts will be pivotal for UH's Dana Holgorsen
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ts-will-be-pivotal-for-UH-s-Dana-14354016.php

Dana Holgorsen open to redshirting even seniors at UH
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...open-to-redshirting-even-seniors-14432637.php

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You don’t pay a guy 4 million dollars a year to waste a season after 4 games. I’ll believe all this when I see it because it spits in the face of everyone who bought season tickets and also screws all of the other Seniors who came to Houston to win now. If this was by design, it’s disgusting.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

UH was in win now mode? that's hard to believe since they hit the reset button once they hired Holgorsen

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Hell yes. You don’t pay a guy 4 million to purposely lose. There’s no draft pick here, if you’re coaching in college and not trying to win you should quit and go coach the Dolphins.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're not even purposely losing. they're just not any good actually especially defensively, hence the reset mode

Nook likes this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You’re right, they’re not trying to lose, but if (big if) he’s encouraging his seniors to redshirt, he’s not exactly trying to win either. It’s just becomes a weird ethical thing at that point.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes acknowledged that as being possible options from day 1 though. see the articles.

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Then why not just redshirt everyone who is worth a damn? Hell, what was the point of playing the season? I’m just not down with a college coach not giving his team and fans the best opportunity to win. People don’t buy season tickets to watch what basically amounts to an exhibition season, and kids don’t commit to play football under that pretense either. Like I said, it’s unethical and shady.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Here’s his quote about redshirting, and I agree with him. There is a HUGE difference though between redshirting Seniors who aren’t going to play much, and your starting Senior Captain quarterback.

"If guys have redshirts available and they're third on the depth chart, I'm gonna try to redshirt 'em," Holgorsen said on Aug. 12. "I don't care if they're a senior. There's some guys that are going to their senior year who have redshirts available, and if they're not going to be playing a whole bunch, then I'm gonna try to redshirt 'em. That's how you develop a program. That's how you build a program and develop kids. We've got some seniors who are 20 years old. That's crazy to me.“

No argument with that philosophy. I don’t believe, however, that that’s what is going on here. Again, time will tell I guess.