1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Applegate got fired because he deserved to be fired. He squandered a lot of talent built up by Tom Herman and was clearly leading us in the direction of Tony Levine mediocrity. Applegate in hindsight should have never been hired as head coach to begin with.

King1 and dc rock like this.
  2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If coaches were actually fired after 8-4 seasons, he would've been fired after his first season and immediately after his second season. Briles got a raise after this past season. Clearly they weren't planning to fire him initially, despite his record (and historically embarrassing bowl loss). Applewhite didn't fail because of some undue pressure from Khator. Applewhite failed because he just wasn't good at his job. Recruiting, marketing, roster building, game day coaching, etc. He was in over his head.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I never said anything to the contrary. :confused:

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Could the redshirt stuff be due to having a new coach every couple freaking years? "This old guy doesn't fit my plans, this new guy does" type of stuff? Hopefully some stability will eliminate a lot of it.

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I said when Herman left that we really needed to get the coaching hire right and the coach to stay at least to see one or more of his classes of recruits graduate. We really are lacking in talent in some positions because 3 of our last 5 recruiting classes have been transition classes and its going to affect us at some point. I said last years team wasn't as good ass their record just because we played such a terrible schedule.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Well, we didn't get that coaching hire right, unfortunately. Hard to put any stock in "continuity hires" after the last couple flops at UH. We could have given Applewhite three more years to get all of his recruits on the field, but the program literally couldn't afford that kind of crash. I'm sure Herman's abrupt exit did him no favors, but Major just wasn't the guy. Hopefully DH is.

7. Poloshirtbandit

What does this mean?

Edit.. Never mind, pro day.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't think Oliver is going to be drafted high. The hype machine was kicking on all cylinders the last few seasons, but his size is going to be a hard sell. I don't think he was used appropriately at UH and even the big AAC linemen were stuffing him.

9. Buck Turgidson

How did he do in the combine drills? His calling card was always his quickness and speed.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't see any reason why all the mock drafts would be that far off if he isn't going high. and hes having a solid combine. definitely an elite talent in this draft and he don't be without a team for long at all

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ed-oliver?id=32194f4c-4929-0385-df1c-0f8e40559b5a

11. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I think it will be surprising if he does not go in the first half of the first round. I hold no animosity towards him for shutting it down during this past year. It is just a shame to me he had to play under a really bad defensive coordinator throughout his U of H career. I am hoping that which ever team he lands with, he will have solid defensive coaching so we can all follow along a hopefully impressive NFL career.

12. solid

My guess is that Oliver will end up a pro linebacker.

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

No, we botched that hire with flying colors. The drop in attendance plus finishing with the 6th best recruiting class year after year is going to affect the team at some point. I am excited for the first time in a few years with DH and a competent staff being brought in i look for them to really sign a strong class this December. The buzz on social media has been better in the 3 months they have been on the job than it was in the 2yrs Opie was here.

14. Buck Turgidson

I don't see why he couldn't be a 4-3 DE (3-4 LB I hadn't thought about, but nowadays they're kind of the same thing) and move inside on passing downs with his quickness, or vice versa, given the situation and who he's playing with. I'm far from an expert though.

He's gonna make plays for whoever utilizes him correctly. It's what he's always done.

raining threes and solid like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Poloshirtbandit

Surprised no NFL teams gave him a look at special teams. From what I remember he was decent at WR in preseason games with the Eagles.

17. solid

I love Greg Ward, didn't think he got a fair shake in the NFL.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I certainly think he is a good enough return man and (at worst) backup slot receiver to be on some team.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member