1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Deep breaths, people: The Astros could still screw this up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by samtaylor, Jun 6, 2017.

1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

#1 samtaylor, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. Anticope

Anticope Member

I think anyone who's been around Houston sports for a decent amount of time knows that cautious optimism is far and away the best approach here.

3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

As a Houston sports fan, I have to really enjoy the good times whenever we're having them. I've been kicked in the balls too often by our teams here to have any sort of trepidation when a team is really doing something right. I took this writer's approach with the Rockets this year. Even as good as they were in the regular season, I still kept telling myself "....but D'Antoni can't win in the playoffs". What did that get me? Disappointment in the playoffs AND the realization that I didn't really get to enjoy what was a fantastic regular season.

So screw the writer of this article. I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this regular season, and I'll worry about the playoffs when we get to the playoffs.

4. HTM

HTM Member

Another person telling people not to have fun in June because what counts is October....

Yea, no sh**.

I'm still going to have fun in June.... I'm not gonna sit around and poo-poo everything... September isn't the only month baseball fans should be allowed to enjoy themselves.

This is awesome. Let the good times roll.

vince, msn, Hey Now! and 2 others like this.
  5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I've noticed this in the game threads... there is joy and excitement, but it's so so so so cautious. Go through any game thread and there's very little, "Yeah! We're gonna stomp these fools!" (not that any real person actually talks like that). But there's very little that's boastful in those threads.

It's more of a hushed, "holy **** guys, this team might be really good... like historic." There was a complimentary article about the Astros earlier today that I wanted to post on here somewhere... I didn't post it because, I don't know, you don't talk during a no-hitter, right? Let's all just nervously pretend like this is easy and boring... nothing to see here...

RockFanFirst likes this.
  6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Pointing out the obvious. - its early, key Injuries can happen, magic fairy dust can run out blah blah blah
    That applies to all teams.

World Series Bound!

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Easy

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agree with this. Just enjoy the ride and stop worrying so much.

Let's just say we play at this torrid pace for the rest of the year and end up winning the WS. How do you want to remember the season? Do you want to remember not having any fun until the last pitch of the WS? Or do you want to remember enjoying every moment of the entire season as a whole?

Live in the moment!

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Who even is this guy?

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As everyone else has said, we all know the pitfalls of being Houston sports fans. Nobody, not even the local fan rag, needs to remind us of that. However, it's been rare (if that) for us to have a team as DOMINANT as this one. I know it's early. I know "baseball happens." I also know of all the sports where an epic collapse is a plausible scenario, baseball is at the top of that list. However, I also know this team is special. I know that they have the right mix of youth, veteran presence, and most importantly.....TALENT. And, I know this.......42-16. For now, that's all I need to know.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

Who says they're going to win the WS?

That doesn't mean Houstonians can't get excited about the team and enjoy the ride (especially when they've NEVER been this hot). They're on a historic run (ahead of the Cubs pace last yr).

As for October one can only hope!!

vince likes this.
  12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The Atlanta Falcons would kindly like to disagree with you.

msn likes this.
  13. AnHero

AnHero Member

14. Major

Major Member

I don't think it has anything to do specifically to Houston. Even if the Astros ARE by far the best team and remain that way, playoffs have an element of luck to them. We're the favorites to win the WS, but even that's at only around 20% - meaning 5 seasons like this would expect 1 title.

But that's not really anyone's problem. As others have said, the point of sports is to have fun. The Astros are having fun, and the fans are having fun. If it doesn't end well, who cares at this point? It's not like being downbeat is going to make it more or less likely that the teams wins.

Hey Now! likes this.
  15. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

r/astros is the place for those shootin it up and stomping fools.

Get those trues!

newAge_Rockets and Joshfast like this.
  16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

17. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Bleh.

The author of that Chron article is precisely the type of person that most sensible people don't want to invite to a party or a night out on the town. Apparently he can't (or doesn't want to) live "in the moment". Let fans be fans. It's fun, and also better for business.

vince likes this.
  18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Sure, but you don't quite have the "Up 7 games with 15 left to play" type collapses in other sports like you do in baseball. That was more my point.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Don't you mean Vamos Los Astros?

20. MystikArkitect

Whatevs. Coogs, Harden, Watson, and now the Fantastros.

Not a bad calendar year for H Town. Even if we haven't gotten to a championship