1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Chronicle: Cal McNair MIA

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets94-95, Jan 19, 2020.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's very strange to me that the collapse against the Chiefs wasn't talked about more nationally.

People are STILL talking about 35-3 and it's referenced all the time - even nationally. At the time, it was the biggest story in the NFL by far.

But with this most recent epic collapse....it seemed like it was just "well, Texans gonna Texan...anyway, up next, we'll talk about what might be Tom Brady's last game..."

2. Buck Turgidson

Put a sequined suit and top hat on him and he'd be indistinguishable from all of the Barnum & Bailey Circus ringleaders I saw in Houston as a kid.

Nook likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The Bills comeback was more improbable with the back up QB and it was still a close game won in overtime. The Chiefs were a big favorite, who just took a quarter to get going and the final score was a blowout.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Major likes this.
  6. gucci888

We are the Utah Jazz of the NFL. We make the playoffs all the time without being actual contenders so no one cares anymore. Maybe we knock off an inferior opponent here but a close loss, blowout, epic collapse, etc...is all in the same for the Texans.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Eh - what QB ever says they don't like their coach? Especially when they've never had another NFL coach to compare with? I have no doubt he'll play hard for BoB, regardless of good or terrible he is. I just would prefer he have a coach that puts him in a position to succeed.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. SemisolidSnake

I mean, this is exactly what it is. Before the game, I told my friends around the country that the Texans would probably be the Texans and go out in the divisional round. And when they did, I had no bitterness about it. The Texans were the Texans, I explained.

Now, promoting instead of firing the guy that makes the Texans Texan every year...that's pretty embittering.

9. Buck Turgidson

This.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It was odd after that game. My wife kept asking me "are you okay?" and I was like "yeah, why?"

Contrast that with Oilers/Bills, I was basically on suicide watch for a good week after that game. Of course I was much younger then, but even comparing the Texans game with how upset I was more recently after Game 7 against the Nats, or the Rockets blowing the 3-2 lead against the Warriors, or the Lilliard shot, or Yao getting hurt against the lakers....it wasn't even close.

Native Houstonian like me, I have lived and died by my 3 (technically 4) Houston teams for basically 4 decades now. I can never remember just not caring about one like I currently feel about the Texans.

11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

As somebody here in another thread pointed out, "What else would Watson say right now?" And that was before BoB was officially the GM.

Here is what we know about William O'Brien the GM, when it comes to negotiating contract extensions. We know Watson is under contract for one more year, but it wouldn't be unexpected to extend him now. We also know BoB loves to overpay for guys he likes, and cut loose guys he doesn't. Nick Martin being one of the more egregious examples vs how JD Clowney turned out.. Watson is going to get a big bag wherever he goes, but he might get the biggest bag if he stays here. 30-something vs nearly 40, or a lot more upfront guaranteed money, or both.

Watson may not know that, but I bet his agent does. It does him no good to badmouth the coach, and thereby drive down the price of his next contract. Plus, maybe Watson actually does like the guy? It could happen.

gucci888 likes this.
  12. gucci888

I think the players genuinely like playing for BoB. But that is only part of the equation for a HC. If William O'Brien is smart enough, he gets a new deal with Watson before Mahomes and Dak does.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He said he loves him, so maybe he does.

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm not worried about the Mahomes deal. He's going to go last if his agent has a brain in his head. I hadn't thought about the Dak deal though, so thanks for reminding me. Agreed, that BoB needs to get this done while the market is as low as it will be for Watson. Tunsil too. And while the Texans still have enough money that they don't feel too squeezed by their cap situation. Unlike some of you, I'm pretty sure Reader is gone, and maybe Roby too. I just can't see BoB going for 65-75 (40-45 guar.)/5 for Roby, which is what I think he's looking for. Which will thin the herd of people they need to pay now.

I'm just concerned they're going to delay on this, especially with Tunsil, and rely on the hammer of the franchise tag to potentially get one of them in line. Like how I was told the Clowney negotiation would go.

15. gucci888

Agreed although I don't think Mahomes' agent cares when he goes, he'll be the highest paid player in NFL history this summer (despite what Hunt is saying). BoB already delayed a Tunsil deal this past season despite his VP of Football Admin saying it's best to get it done now so your concern is absolutely real IMO.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Choke job implies a team shouldve won and screwed up to lose.

24-0 against the Chiefs wasnt a choke job because the Texans were a vastly inferior team on the field that day. The Oilers at least got to their 35-3 lead in a legit way that make people think they deserved it

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

some hilarious answers from Cal in this AMA, seems like he'd be awesome to have a beer with

Rudyc281 and STR8Thugg like this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I got excited and thought he went missing off the planet.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Chill lol

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

LFG!!

cmoak1982 likes this.