1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HOPE KEPT ALIVE] The Impeachment Trial of Donald John Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 18, 2019.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, it could be he loses by even more millions of votes, but the electoral college still won't "care" about his transgressions. This is my prediction. The coasts are fired up and bring millions of extra anti-Trump votes in 2020, even if the Dems run a refrigerator on their ticket. But still quite possibly lose the electoral college again.

tmoney1101 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cocaine Mitch daring Nancy P to a game of chicken?

cml750 likes this.
  3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Putin says Trump was impeached for 'fabricated reasons,' calls new US sanctions 'unfriendly'

GOP: Government Of Putin.

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is rich. Moscow Mitch is too afraid to have a real trial in the Senate.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think a short trial, 2 weeks is being suggested? Hurts Trump.

I think he's right to want a long one that doesn't exonerate him (he's guilty) but it at least plays into his narrative that the Democrats did all this and found nothing, "No collusion, no obstruction, perfect call, I did nothing!"

Meanwhile, if it is a short trail the narrative for the Democrats going into the election will be that the trial was rigged and held unfairly.

EDIT: To those saying "This is bad strategy, it fires up the Trump base..." well yeah. Everything fires up the Trump base. This is immaterial. The important thing is cementing to blue collar voters that Trump is actually a crook and only looks out for himself. If the DNC is scared of punching Trump in the mouth because his base will be fired up then they are going to lose.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

go Nancy!

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly this. People seem to always forget this little tidbit.

Reds will be fired up no matter what, Trump will make sure of that. Seeing Impeachment trending nearly daily on twitter since this all started and polls on the left, tells me this did fire up the liberal base, I think 2018 many people wanted to see this happen and blue won the house overwhelmingly

While this does fire up Republicans to vote, it fires up Democrats to vote too, and I know some people don't realize this but Democrats need their base to win too. Yes, swing states are key, but they can also be decided by driving up votes in blue districts and cities, that's how you win states like Minnesota/Florida/Ohio as a democrat, you drive those votes up in blue areas since more people live in those areas than the rural ones.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  8. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's nothing new.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You may have me confused with another poster. I haven't been posting on the whole impeachment matter. The only post I made was perhaps a month back, in which I stated I'm against impeachment because it won't pass it the senate, therefore it's a big show for nothing that I personally believe will end up empowering Trump and riling up his base for 2020.

Trump lives on being anti-establishment, lives on portraying himself as the underdog outsider who the elites want to get rid of, if this goes to the senate I think it could be the best possible thing to happen for his campaign.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

These backfire rationales were always specious and they look more so now. We always worry about the 40% or so of Trumpsters getting "fired up". Over and over again.

What about the 50+% of the country who wants him impeached? They matter, believe it or not, and if you want to make judgments about political calculus, you have to kind of worry about them? Especially considering that they gave you your House majority to explicitly do this kind of thing.

The most likely outcome is this has no effect on that picture. Trump is hyperpolarizing as it gets because of his malignancy and incompetence.And obviously, he very much did not want to be impeached.

So, do the right thing here. And, they did. Hope won. On to 2020.

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Maybe I did confuse you …. and I agree with the above. It was a waste of time that will end up empowering Trump.

Its another instance for him to yell Witch Hunt! Fake News! - I said that a month or more here somewhere.

I think it was @FranchiseBlade I was thinking of ...and it was in response to me saying exactly what you said in the above post.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly, I don't get how this makes Trump stronger in any way. Remember all of the things they said would fire up the Trump base in the mid-terms? How did that work out?

Democrats won a ton of state elections and won back congress.

People are always worried about the Trump voter as if they can be convinced to swap over or something.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Will there actually be a trial? or is due process off the table now too?

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Yep and it's probably why McConnell wants the trial to be quick, as it stands it's Trump vs the house democrats, and that'll be his campaign, McConnell doesn't want the senate to be in that fight, because they're as unpopular as the house.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I remember when you said that it was like a lightning bolt of enlightenment struck you -- how did you come up with such a unique, independent thought on the impeachment process?

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It could be me you meant to whom you meant to respond. I am in favor of impeachment. I elected my representatives to do their duty and provide the checks and balances. They should do their job because that is what they should do. They shouldn't avoid doing their job because someone else won't do theirs. If my congressional representative had not done his job, I would have worked to get them replaced.

I said before that if the Democrats didn't impeach the GOP would cry witch-hunt because they made a big stink but didn't even trust in their case enough to impeach. Lo and behold, the GOP is doing that right now with not sending it to the Senate. So they would cry with-hunt no matter what. Since that was going to happen and is happening they should definitely do the correct thing and try and hold the President accountable.

Trump's base was going to be fired up no matter what. Trump and the GOP will spread lies about conspiracies and faux scandals about whoever the Democratic candidate is in order to fire up their base. With impeachment, Democrats can fire up their base as well. Impeaching means that Democrats are willing to fight for what is right and do their jobs.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You do know its Pelosi , the head Democrat who's not sending it to the Senate (Yet) ?

19. TheresTheDagger

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do know that. That's my point. The fact that the Democrats aren't sending it is causing the GOP to cry witch hunt and say the case isn't strong enough.

They would have done the exact same thing had Democrats not pushed for impeachment. The Republicans would have claimed the Democrats made such a big stink about Trump but obviously they were making it all up since they weren't willing to impeach him.

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.