1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honey Badger to Sign with Texans!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by clutch citizen, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Did they protest?

4. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Texans need to sign one of this for cheap (Imagine having to reliable safety ) Our weakest position for a long time

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. conquistador#11

these coaches like standing on tables. Is this a thing?

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...eason-analysis-Secondary-still-a-12791547.php

Accustomed to shutting down quarterbacks and receivers, the Texans' secondary regressed and took a mighty fall last season.

The Texans allowed the most points per game in the NFL one year removed from ranking first in total defense and second in pass defense.

The secondary got picked on regularly as there wasn't much of a pass rush being generated other than from Pro Bowl outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney with J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus out for the season.

It wasn't only attributable to a lack of pressure, though.

The coverage was inconsistent and frequently exposed, especially a lack of support from safeties Marcus Gilchrist and Andre Hal over the top. Veteran cornerback Johnathan Joseph drew the toughest assignments and had issues containing fast receivers like Indianapolis Colts star T.Y. Hilton.

Besides the offensive line, overhauling the secondary has been a major priority for new Texans general manager Brian Gaine.

Gaine has signed former Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Aaron Colvin to a four-year, $34 million deal, former Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu to a one-year, $7 million contract, re-signed Joseph to a two-year, $10 million deal and former New England Patriots cornerback and special-teams ace Johnson Bademosi to a two-year, $6.5 million contract.

Colvin is more of a slot cornerback who played opposite Pro Bowl corners Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye, but has the capability to compete outside.

Mathieu provides a hard-hitting, feisty presence and has positional flexibility.
    Joseph isn't as fast as he once was, but still is a strong leader and started every game last season.

Bademosi is big and fast enough to keep receivers honest.

The Texans still need to decide whether to assign a fifth-year club option to Kevin Johnson.

They could use an outside cornerback, but can find one in the draft.

They still need more help at safety and could find one in a deep draft for that position. Hal needs to be more consistent. At this point, though, there's no one on the roster to challenge him for a starting job one season into a three-year, $15 million contract.

This is no longer a dangerously thin unit. With the return of Watt and Mercilus, the secondary should no longer be an area of concern.

Texans' defensive backs under contract are:

CB Johnson Bademosi

CB Aaron Colvin

CB Treston Decoud

CB Kareem Jackson

CB Kevin Johnson

CB Bryce Jones

CB Johnathan Joseph

CB Josh Thornton

CB Dee Virgin

S Ibraheim Campbell

S Kurtis Drummond

S Andre Hal

S Tyrann Mathieu

S Corey Moore​

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I am not ready to give up on KJo just yet. Kareem Jackson was the absolute worst corner I had ever seen in my life and turned in to an above average one for a few season there.

Saying that, KJo isnt trending in the right directions and he seems to be injury prone.

Bobbythegreat and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#251 zeeshan2, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    macho GRANDE and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Eric Reid did for sure.

I think the problem with Vaccaro is he just plain sucks.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's got one more season to show that not only can he play well but that he can play well AND stay healthy. If he can't do that, he'll go the way of XSF.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a couple of reasons behind that.

1. The league isn't shelling out big bucks for safeties for whatever reason and I'm sure they are looking to get paid.
    2. Kenny Vaccaro sucks (only slightly better PFF score than Kevin Johnson 35.4 compared to 32.0)
    3. With Reid you've got off the field baggage that not many teams want to have to deal with.

I would bet that Reid has gotten offers, they just haven't been for the kind of money he wants to make.

15. showa13

showa13 Member

I think the biggest factor is the draft is closing in and it’s a relatively deep draft class in the secondary. I expect both to be signed after by a team that leaves the draft unsatisfied with what they got safety wise but they’ll prob remain unsigned until then.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At this point I agree. I think they didn't get the kind of offers that they were looking for so now they are waiting till after the draft hoping for a scenario exactly like you described where a team didn't get what they needed in the draft and they were desperate.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I like what Crennel did with the secondary. Colvin, Honey Badger, and Bademosi are nice pickups.

Hopefully Kevin Johnson develops and stays healthy, that would be huge

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jonathan Joseph at age 62 is at this point better than the current CBs not named Aaron.There is still hope for KJohnson but I still wouldn't mind picking up a Bashaud Breeland, Delvin Breaux, or bring back Brice.

eric.81 likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member