1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holidays’ names stricken from next year’s Montgomery schools calendar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mdrowe00, Nov 12, 2014.

1. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

First thread post for me, and I kind of find this interesting...

Wondering what people here might think about this.

Holidays’ names stricken from next year’s Montgomery schools calendar
    By Donna St. George November 11 at 6:34 PM

Christmas and Easter have been stricken from next year’s school calendar in Montgomery County. So have Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah.

Montgomery’s Board of Education voted 7 to 1 Tuesday to eliminate references to all religious holidays on the published calendar for 2015-2016, a decision that followed a request from Muslim community leaders to give equal billing to the Muslim holy day of Eid al-Adha.

In practical terms, Montgomery schools will still be closed for the Christian and Jewish holidays, as in previous years, and students will still get the same days off, as planned.

Board members said Tuesday that the new calendar will reflect days the state requires the system to be closed and that it will close on other days that have shown a high level of student and staff absenteeism. Though those days happen to coincide with major Christian and Jewish holidays, board members made clear that the days off are not meant to observe those religious holidays, which they say is not legally permitted.

The main and most noticeable difference will be that the published calendar will not mention any religious holidays by name.

Muslim community leaders have been asking Montgomery school officials for years to close schools for at least one of the two major Muslim holidays.
    It is unclear how many Muslim students attend Montgomery schools, but in 2013, Muslim community leaders urged Muslim families and their supporters to keep students home for Eid ¬al-Adha, hoping that the number of absentees would be persuasive as they made their case for a school closing. Montgomery school officials reported that absences for that day — 5.6 percent of students and 5 percent of teachers — were only somewhat higher than a comparable day the previous week.

Students who miss classes on religious holidays are given excused absences. But Muslim families have argued that students should not have to choose between their faith and their schoolwork and that missing even a day leaves many students behind. They say the day off is a matter of equity, with Christian and Jewish students getting days off for their holidays.

But Tuesday’s outcome was not at all what Muslim leaders intended. They called the decision a surprise — and a glaring mistake.

“By stripping the names Christmas, Easter, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, they have alienated other communities now, and we are no closer to equality,” said Saqib Ali, a former Maryland state delegate and co-chair of the Equality for Eid Coalition. “It’s a pretty drastic step, and they did it without any public notification.”

Zainab Chaudry, also a co-chair of the coalition, expressed dismay, too, contending the school board’s members were willing to “go so far as to paint themselves as the Grinch who stole Christmas” to avoid granting equal treatment for the Muslim holiday.

“They would remove the Christian holidays and they would remove the Jewish holidays from the calendar before they would consider adding the Muslim holiday to the calendar,” she said.

Muslim leaders had focused their efforts for the next school year on having the holiday of Eid ¬al-Adha recognized with equal prominence on the published school calendar because the holiday falls on the same day as Yom Kippur, when Montgomery schools are already closed. They had said the step was symbolic but important.

Superintendent Joshua P. Starr presented the board with three options to resolve the question Tuesday, and a majority of members supported his recommended proposal to do away with the names of both the Muslim and the Jewish holidays on the calendar. But amending the proposal, the board opted to ditch references to Christmas and Easter, too.

Board members pointed to the Fairfax County school system’s calendar as an example; the largest school district in Virginia does not call out such religious holidays by name. In Montgomery, closing schools for Jewish holidays began in the 1970s. In voting to scrub the holiday names from the calendar, board members said they were trying to reflect the reason schools are closed on religious holidays: because of operational impacts — such as expected high absenteeism among students and staff on those days — not because the school system is observing a religious occasion.

“This seems the most equitable option,” said board member Rebecca Smondrowski (District 2), who offered the amendment.
    Board members talked at length about not wishing to disrespect the Muslim community or those from other faiths. Muslim community members and their supporters packed the meeting room.

Several board members pledged to produce a clearer standard for the kind of operational impacts that might lead to further consideration of closing schools on a Muslim holiday in the future. The calendar change Tuesday affects only the next school year.

Board member Michael A. Durso (District 5) was the sole vote against the calendar change. During the board’s discussion, he noted that Montgomery brags about its diversity and its embrace of different cultures. “No matter how well-intentioned we are, it comes off as insensitive” to Muslim families, he said.

School officials said the time off in December would become “winter break,” while the time off around the Easter holiday would be called “spring break.” Other days, such as Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, would be simply listed as a day when there is “no school for students and teachers.”

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm surprised they were still naming the religious holidays until now. HISD doesn't name them. Probably many don't. With all the separation-of-church-and-state types all over, I thought all schools would be the same, so it's funny that it comes over pressure from Muslims instead of secularists.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like an easier option would be to add a few days to the school year in the summer instead of treating the summer months as sacrosanct. The studies show that kids' abilities do drop off during that downtime anyway, so it could be a good thing.

4. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I am so freaking sick of religious people and their nonsense. Erase all of this crap from everything.

Everyone can have an equal billing share of zero point zero percent.

5. bongman

bongman Member

In before.... Fox's "War on Christmas".

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They should remove the names from all holidays, no one really cares if it's MLK day or Labor day, they just like that they don't have to go to school/work.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol this, just put, holiday, __ days off work

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The original complaints against observing Christmas and other holidays came from Jewish activists. Secularists and Muslims today are using that precedent.

I think it'd be interesting to observe Jewish holidays over Muslim since given time, there'd likely be more Muslim students than Jewish.

Overall though, if you strip away the connotations some people hold against Muslims, this is more of the same test over multiculturalism and religious tolerance that made this nation a test bed of ideas.

I don't think the school made the wrong decision. They made the most risk adverse, given the choice of observing Muslim holidays in a red county (yep) or ripping the whole compromise off like a bandaid and officially endorsing no religion.

9. JuanValdez

I tried to find school district data on how many Muslims are in the Montgomery County district in the first place, but couldn't find any. I did find a website that said 2%+ of the Washington DC area is Muslim. The national average for Jews is 1.7%, for comparison. It's possible they have a critical mass to justify a holiday. The methodology described in the article of comparing absenteeism to the prior week seems kinda weak to me. Is that what they're going by?

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Religious holidays are a reality of many (if not most) K-12 students and recognizing that they occur helps with their understanding of the US melting pot.

No one is saying you must force all kids to miss school on holidays or even observe it in some fashion. There is definitely a way to do this without offending anyone.

For example, in HISD, the principal of TH Rogers (K-8) delivers a weekly address that goes out to parents via email and phone. Besides providing updates regarding school activities and recognizing individual achievement, he delivers a simple message on holidays like "We would like wish our Muslim students a happy Eid al-Adha." IIRC, he also does this for Diwali and the Jewish high and holy days.

No harm no foul.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

DC? I thought it was Alabama.

I guess red/blue isn't factored in this one.

The activists quoted in the article are saying that. The schools give them religious holiday exemptions but they don't want their kids to lose days and get "left behind".

The precedent are Jewish holidays that observed schoolwide.

12. JuanValdez

It's not clear in the OP, other than that the article is from the Washington Post. Google it and you'll see other articles are more clear about which Montgomery County they're talking about.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That sort of defeats the purpose of the Holiday, to honor the person as exemplary so we establish what traits we aspire to as a nation.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I'd be for treating all holidays the same, be it religious holidays or secular holidays. If removing the names from religious holidays wouldn't "defeat the purpose" of the holiday, why would it do so for secular holidays?

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Totally against that. The Muslim holidays are literally two days in a school year. In my experience they get excused by the school, but I was still responsible enough to recognize when I couldn't afford to miss the school day.

In terms of the Jewish holidays, I always found it strange that they were district-wide holidays. Regardless, It didn't matter as my teachers were understanding of the days I had to miss because of Muslim holidays.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Because religious holidays promote specific religions. Nationally designated holidays promote individuals and groups without discrimination. There's no Muslim Christmas but every American can celebrate non-violence and equality.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Actually, "national" holidays would end up promoting statehood (insert 'Murica joke here).

We're human, we'll find a way to screw it up.

Having said that, this is a good thing the school did before it gets out of hand. Muslim holidays are supposed to be 3 days for each of the two Eid holidays, and then a few more for Prophet's ascension, birthday and Islamic New Year. Eventually you'll have to add another for Shia's 10th of Muharram as well.

Better to get it out of the way now.

18. JuanValdez

I appreciate your point, but they didn't remove the names of the religious holidays. They renamed them, essentially co-opting them into secular holidays. Christmas break isn't celebrating Christmas at all. It's Winter Break, that marks the end of one semester and the beginning of the next, gives some students some time off to rest, and just so happens to occur during the high Christmas season. The school isn't letting kids out for a generic break, or for unannounced reasons but in recognition of events in the school calendar. (Of course, there's a chicken-and-egg thing here because the school calendar was built around Christmas, but it is what it is now.)

19. Nook

Nook Member

It is STUPID.

People are getting those days off historically because of the named holiday.

Christmas, Easter, etc. all are part of the American culture and history.

It doesn't mean that you have to celebrate the holiday or even like the meaning behind it..... but sterilizing it is just dumb.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think taking the name away is necessary though, Christmas is more of a secular holiday at this point anyway. I once dated a woman that had Muslim parents and they still gave gifts at Christmas time because it's become more of an American thing to do than a Christian thing to do.

For many, Christmas is about a fat man giving presents not about anything related to Christianity. Though some don't know it, the Christmas tree, Santa Claus, and most "Christmas traditions" are Pagan in origin.

How about Easter? Is it really a Christian holiday when to most it's a day where a magic rabbit hides painted eggs for kids to find?

I argue that those holidays have become secular so they shouldn't be offensive to anyone that matters. As such, there's no reason to remove the name....unless you want to remove all names from holidays.