1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Hinch and Lunhow FIRED

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Yordan, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Luhnow didn't get fired for the ruthless, toxic or whatever you want to call it environment. I blame Luhnow along with others for how Astros responded to the incident, and for having Osuna in the first place. Crane didn't seem to care.

Luhnow got fired for not adequately protecting his boss's interests. Astros got caught cheating. Astros don't cheat or Astros don't get caught, Luhnow is still the GM.

On witch hunt, it isn't a witch hunt if one actually did the things people said were done and get caught.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

Couldnt agree with you more DD.

whiskeyred and raining threes like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MLB only cares about Astros sign stealing because media was able to get Fiers to squeal like a little piggie, other teams complained, and because it made games longer in the 2017 playoffs. For the most part, MLB has been "I see nothing".

raining threes, awc713 and BigM like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly... so why even continue to bring up “toxic culture czar” and the Osuna/Taubmann fiasco when it comes to why he is being banned?

he is still the GM with all other events.... GM’s are going to continue to take chances on questionable character players and some GM’s will continue to be as ruthless and calculating as Luhnow was.

using those events to further the sentence here is a witch hunt/pile on that is unnecessary. And that being said, he will likely get another job in baseball (if he wants it) and be in a leadership position.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because Manfred specifically pointed it out in his letter when discussing his ban. Not saying Osuna was a factor, but Taubmann incident and the complaints about him from former employees and others around baseball were clear factors in his suspension. And the criticism being leveled directly from the Commissioner had to factor into Crane's ultimate decision to move on.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not the one who brought up the toxic culture...just provided signs that one existed when it was posted that there weren't signs that that one existed.

Media piled on Luhnow because they didn't like him, but that is partly on Luhnow. I still don't see the witch hunt though as Luhnow has done what the media has said in general. Media hasn't really needed to spin much lately as Astros have been a PR nightmare.

Luhnow will get another job in baseball if decision is based solely on winning. Though, I think there is a chance he gets blackballed at least by the MLB teams. I'd expect he ends up consulting.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't like the outcome at all. Should have retained both. Astros are likely now on the decline.

whiskeyred and Hank McDowell like this.
  8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

It isn't a 'witch hunt' if there really is a witch, and you find it.

KePoW likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correct. He did mention and single out that incident specifically.

I just think he is being prosecuted for every single thing in part because of how he treated the media early on (when the media was treating he and the Astros pretty badly as well). He’s not a bad guy or some malicious intent mastermind.

and in the end, this is pro sports. Winning matters... to the point of stretching (but not breaking) rules. They were stretching things (as all teams likely were) till the mandate came down to stop... they didn’t.

raining threes likes this.
  10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

So Cora fired. I hope this is not a wink wink with the league. We fire Cora you don’t investigate us. We get the hammer every team that did wrong-doing should get the hammer.

11. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

[​IMG]

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

very curious as to why Fiers decided to open his pie hole. Astros were in the wrong though. They were a great team without cheating. Why do it.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're not going to vacate the title... but I heard they are going to vacate his no-hitter as they stole signs that night.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I believe after the Taubman/Footer incident the national media was pissed, especially with Luhnow's response afterwards. They wanted to take them down and starting digging into the rumors that were going on around the league regarding sign stealing. They probably identified former players from the Astros they thought might hold a grudge and found one dumb enough to go on the record. I bet several players were approached, not just Fiers.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This makes too much sense and what Id probably lean towards. Also, **** mike fiers.

The Beard and raining threes like this.
  16. raining threes

Lets see if the major markets get hammered.

Keep on dreaming

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

18. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

"Hammered"? By MLB? No chance. But investigative reporting? Certainly possible. The fact that the Dodgers statement leaked that MLB held a conference call with all league owners just prior to announcing Astros' punishment ordering them not to talk about this matter is more than enough to read between the lines. MLB recognizes that "sign stealing" is potentially a poison pill as dangerous to their business as the steroid scandal was in the 90's. They were presented with a fall guy (the motive for Mike Fiers coming forward would be another interesting item to investigate), punished, and are now hoping that will be enough to pry inquiring eyes away and push this issue out of the forefront of the collective public conscience. Maybe one day a reporter will publish more of the narrative. That might happen a year from now. It might never happen. But several thing's are definitely grounds for motive. This story offers reporters something to chase to increase their individual profiles, pursuit of media awards, better jobs, etc (and it only takes one). There are many current, and former players, that know more about the truth than the public. Is there a Jose Canseco out they're penning his book as we speculate (again, it only takes one)? Might some players be annoyed by partial truths and cover-ups (perhaps the reason no players were punished)? And who benefits? MLB? The Yankees? Other clubs and players that got away with it? Look, I have no evidence, but I just don't take what is conveniently placed before me as the gospel. Common sense won't allow me to do so. We'll see what happens.

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Fiers was left off the playoff roster then got shelled by Astros hitters with 9 runs last year.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

As if having your Championship tainted and forever question nationally isn't a decline of some sort.

The kool-aid really is strong here.