1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

High School Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 22, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Love seeing things like this. A small town of 3,000 with a small high school with 150 kids. Look how many people in the stands.

DFWRocket likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

good for them. i can't imagine living in a small town where everyone knows each other. one small misstep and the whole town knows, no social media needed.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

In small towns, the HS sports is a big part of socializing..because there's not a whole lot of other places to socialize other than school and church. It's easy to get excited about going to the game when there's absolutely nothing else going on. I always tell people that when I spent almost 10yrs covering HS sports, I saw Ryan Mallet vs. Matt Stafford in a high school playoff game with about 16,000 people. I've seen state championships between major powers with 35,000. I was on the field when Celina had its 68 football game winning streak come to an end against Daingerfield...I've seen a LOT of great H.S. stuff.

But nothing ever beat the atmosphere of the regular season game between (at the time) class 3A rivals Pilot Point vs. Celina. The crowd was intense and insane despite being an easy win for Celina. This small town had standing room only in a small field with NONE of the upgrades or poshness of a higher class, modern stadium. Not even a blow-up run through tunnel. But that didn't matter. The teams and fans were so pumped up for this game that the excitement was infectious like an airborne virus. Then entire scene seemed as if it was scripted in a film, but you truly had to be there to understand it.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've only been to a lamar high football game. it was rather meh. was hungry and there was no food.