1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] Mike Judge's Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Apr 7, 2014.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That was a prediction before the season's end, didn't know how they would play it out.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea, it was kind of sprung up on us. And the way Gavin was kind of "cool, bye Richard ; )" made me have to go back and double check for season 5..

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I feel like I've posted this before, but Richard is beyond toxic. His antics are no longer laughable. Instead of learning from mistakes, he continuesly finds a way to make increasingly more catostophic decisions along the way.

He's an unequivocal loser and now my least favorite character on the show.

Uprising likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Oh, I know, but the writing has been on the wall for the last 2-3 episodes. I just dont think the show can carry on with Richard, Gilfoyle and Danesh.
    To be fair, he was changing his "good ol' boy" ways and was trying to do more in terms of straddling the line of legality. Annoying still? Yes, but throughout the entire show, everybody wanted him to do what was wrong and now that hes finally stepped across that line and willing to, everybody wants him to do right?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The best character on the show is Jared.... I think they could survive provided he has an increased role.

They pretty much took Monica out of the rotation by season's end. No longer going to try and make her a romantic interest. Jin-Yang had a breakout season, but his character was mostly tied to Erlich. Big Head also saw less and less time as the season went on.... they're going to have to do more with him other than the usual "accidental genius" approach.

Most HBO comedies have about a 4-5 year shelf life. Silicon Valley, even with Erlich, is no different.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I think hes the second, right after Erlich, but going forward there is still a lot to reveal about Jared and thats what I think they are banking on. From his German speaking early in the show to the uncles little box of secrets thing. The show overall is losing/lost its appeal though.

7. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Solid finish. Losing TJ Miller will hurt, but for me Jared is the funniest character.

seclusion likes this.
  8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a fun show to watch even if it does lose its coherency. I'll continue to enjoy.

Now bring on GoT.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I cant stand Richard at all anymore its like the guy is a genius but never learns at all from his repeated failures at a businessman. His ego is so big that he wont let someone else with any bit of business acumen run things instead. The dude is a narcissist in the worst possible way. The only thing that made me laugh that Richard did was when he said to Jared "this guy ****s" when he realized Jared had girls in his condo.

Jin Yiang was my favorite character this season.

Overall though I am kind of getting tired of the guys getting bailed out last minute by some miracle and then things are on the upswing only for Richard to mess things up again and again. They need to either become wildly successful or fall so hard there would be no coming back and they have to go back to their hometowns or jail

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

All the ups and downs with nothing to show for it. They should just take the existing formula and port the show from an IT startup in the Bay to an NBA franchise in Houston.

Roxnostalgia likes this.
  11. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

My guess is they have 2 seasons left, 3 if they bring back tj miller which is likely

A comany is only worth as much as its stock and with tv shows their stock is how many more seasons can they churn out before people stop watching

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Richard is too annoying now . .. . his awkwardness has gone from kind of charming like a new puppy to beyond annoying like a telemarketing call

Every opportunity to do the wrong thing . . .he does
    The group did not want him to do illegal or immoral so much as do what is effective!
    I mean seriously . . . why f*ck with the Ex's new dude . .. . . in the middle of THE MOST IMPORTANT MOMENTS OF YOUR LIFE
    You chance it all to do that???
    I saw that and knew it would come back to f*ck up the company

He rarely assumes accountability and almost constantly blaming others.

Rocket River

13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Pretty sure he's a textbook narcissist.
    I mean throughout the entire show, he thinks he's the smartest person in the room, with a world changing idea to "make the world a better place".

Really liked that the show spells out that Richard and Gavin are the same type of people at the core, just at different points in their business success.

Glad they went away from love interest side-plot because it never made sense.

Not sure where they can go with the story much more, although I suspect ransomware will have to show up next season.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The show was great at first... But just getting old now, how many times can Richard screw his team out of money before they walk?? I mean I guess the show would be over, and while Richard and Gavin are similar egomaniacs, Gavin has a lot better business sense, Richard should have at least looked at the offer. Especially since he was screwed without the patent, and then the patent troll...

His character is beyond flawed and after 4 seasons still screws up in similar ways from the beginning... "guys, I'm doing illegal stuff!!", okay, but it's still the same dense Richard character

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the season was a mixed bag. Jared remains the best comedic presence on the show and the supporting cast is great. Richard is insufferable to the point where, even for a comedy, it's hard to believe that the rest of the guys (and VCs like Monica and Laurie) would continue to stick by him as a business leader.

I, too, wish Monica got more screen time as she is often the only voice of reason in the entire show. I don't know how they can continue to drag out Big Head's Stanford career, but I have a feeling he'll be back. I also hope that Jin-Yang is featured more, he was gold this season and, ironically, the only one of the guys that has struck it rich.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you're watching this show simply because u want to see them make it big... I'll save u the effort. It will unlikely happen till the very end. And even if it does, it will come with a catch.

It's like Gilligan's island. They were never going to be rescued (till the end), despite each episode giving the audience hope that it would happen.

mtbrays, CCity Zero and jev5555 like this.
  17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Judge has said from the beginning that this would be a 6 season show, no more.

This show used to be a "I must be home at 9PM to watch" and I would block everything out and lol for 30 minutes, but no longer. Now I catch it on demand whenever I have time. The same ol' stuff has just gotten completely stale and I loathe Richards screen time. Next year I'll most likely wait until the season is over and just binge it. I started watching season 1 over again last week and this show has seriously gone down hill , especially this year.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. MystikArkitect

I really liked Erlich and thought his energy combined with Jared and Gilfoyle carried the show. The show was great at first but is just rehashing the same story over and over again.

Richard doesn't have that Walter White quality that can make you tune in to a narcissistic genius for a long time. Breaking Bad eventually gave him success and carved out an entire season of him enjoying that success while still evading his brother in law. Not sure if Silicon Valley has that dynamic in it.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspect Kumail Nanjiani
    will leave after next season. He seems to be getting more work

Rocket River