1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden: Scott Foster Shouldn’t Referee Anymore Rockets Games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Feb 22, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I agree with you in the Rondo foul.

A player passing off and then getting an offensive foul for landing on a defensive player is an offensive foul if the defender was in position prior to the passer leaving the ground. Would have to look at the replay again to see if that happened.

I’m not able to recall how bad the foul LeBron drew was. Again, would have to look at the replay.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with everything you say

your post is 100% accurate

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We can be outraged by Scott Foster's antics.

AND

We can also acknowledge the Rockets cold shooting and lack of defense/rebounding to make up for the cold shooting.

AND

We can also acknowledge that the roster is flawed and missing pieces.

All of those points are germane. And can be discussed without this "black and white" BS.

Context and nuance.

D-rock, luckyman76, topfive and 13 others like this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

It's the latter.

But none the less, this whole stance by Harden and CP3 isnt about the calls or the outcome of the game. It's about a clear bias he has against the rockets and these 2 players more specifically. And even on a broader note about how bad of a ref he is and how hard it is for any player to do their job.

I agree losing a 19pt lead is a factor of many things. But you would have to be blind to not notice the job officiating had in the Lakers ability to come back.

After going up 19, the Lakers proceeded to shoot 17 FTs to the Rockets 0. The calls were egregiously bad and overwhelmingly one sided.

If you dont think that type of officiating has a way of manipulating momentum and how the game is played, i fear you have not played organized sports.

Firstly is it not o ly demoralizing and frustrating;ultimately taking you out of your groove. It forces you to play a different way to try and counter.

I 100% believe if Scott foster wasn't the ref we win. Same as I believe for game 7 last year.

When you punish a team for being aggressive and force them into jacking 3s it limits their offense. You take away half our offense because already we are in foul trouble and driving is not only not rewarded but actually punished.

There is direct evidence correlating an unusually happenstance when foster officiates the rockets.

This. Entire. Thread. Has nothing to do about "the calls". Its about an obvious vendetta or some sort of bad blood or some kind of conspiracy.

The FT discrepancy, the win/loss ratio all these points of data point to this singular conclusion that something is fishy.

It's not about playing through bad calls. It's about something bigger. Again this is your strawman.

D-rock, clutchdabear, 34to11 and 14 others like this.
  5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate crying about the refs but there is a point that you have to stand up for yourself and say something. Foster has it out for the Rockets for whatever reason and it needs to stop. :mad:

6. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I think the issue is that the grievance against Foster is a separate issue. The players airing it immediately following the game says that it is only one example. But the fact that they ARE airing it publicly, specifically Harden, is to say that they are noticing a pattern with this specific official. They are implicitly saying there's enough evidence out there to warrant an investigation.

I think as basketball fans, we would have loved to hear Harden and CP open up with the technical aspects of their breakdown before going into their grievances. CP briefly brushes on the basketball side of things in his interview.

7. TheresTheDagger

When a team has a losing record of like 1-7 with a specific referee...
    When a team doesn't shoot a single free throw the final 17 minutes of a game...
    When that same team fouls out their TWO best players in the same game...
    When one of those players and the head coach get technical fouls too...
    When BOTH of those players speak out about this specific official accepting fines to say their peace...
    When this same official in 2016 was voted by players and coaches anonymously and overwhelming the worst official...
    When attempts have been made to fix the relationship between this official and a specific player to no avail...
    When multiple sports shows on multiple networks and multiple articles have been written addressing this as a problem...

Exactly WHEN does the NBA finally address this?

D-rock, clutchdabear, 34to11 and 6 others like this.
  8. Handles

Handles Member

I'm not proud of it, but I'll bet against us if I see Foster. For what it's worth, during the off-season I also put $100 on us to win the championship this year. That bet's still out, just gotta believe.

bballjunkie likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thank god I fell asleep before the game started. I wouldve been punching the air till 1am.

napalm06 likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Officiating can influence the flow of the game. I don't think ANYONE can argue against that. It's very apparent.

Looking back at last night's game, starting with the fourth quarter:

Rockets lead 92-88
    Foster calls an offensive foul on Capela at the 9:13 mark. Video here. Most of the time (I'd venture at least 90% of the time) that is a non-call. I don't know what Foster was seeing that could have warranted an offensive foul.

Rockets lead 95-92
    Kirkland calls an offensive foul on Harden at the 6:03 mark. Video here. So Rondo attempts to reach in, doesn't get a call for that, gets inadvertently touched by Harden and that's an offensive foul?

Game tied 97-97
    Foster calls a foul on Green at the 4:21 mark. Video here. How can Foster make that call when the sideline ref, who has a better vantage point on Green because he's behind/trailing LeBron, didn't bother to whistle it?

Lakers lead 102-105
    Smith calls an offensive foul on Harden at the 1:24 mark. Video here. That should have been a non-call in my opinion because Harden stopped his momentum just in time to make a pass.

Needless to say, offensive fouls take away your ability to be aggressive on the offensive end and this changes the way a player approaches the game because it's in your head that you'll have to back off before you get another charge call.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The fact that the NBA doesn't address suspicious, anomalous trends like this part of why fans (here and everywhere) are always raging about the officiating.

There's been enough Kings-Lakers, Heat-Mavs, Spurs-Suns high-profile playoff series with reffing shenanigans, plus the Donaghy scandal (which the NBA made a VERY curious decision not to clean house with everyone implicated), that make a fan always have a nagging doubt in the back of their mind about whether what they're watching is natural or influenced.

I've been an NHL/NFL fan most of my life too, and while the conspiracy narratives are growing in the NFL, for most of the past few decades it's just been complaining about bad calls, but not a full-blown hatchet job like I seem to have seen in the NBA too many times.

The problem is that the NBA has seen a meteoric rise in popularity, exposure, and revenue while the reffing has also gotten worse. So to what extent should they even want to address it?

12. napalm06

The only "case" people try to deploy against this is that you aren't acknowledging how badly the Rockets played. They did play badly, but that's a different discussion. Neither discussion nullifies the other. It's just distraction tactics. I just don't get what benefit anyone on Clutchfans gets from denying the stats around Scott Foster. Do we need to do a full-blown statistical analysis and prove significance of the Scott Foster Effect? We shouldn't..

D-rock, bobloblaw, topfive and 4 others like this.
  13. Handles

Handles Member

Bookies would get yelled at by clients for losing them their edge. NBA fans will hate us even more. Not worth.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What's odd is that Foster's only officiated TWO games this year for us. A win against the Wizards and last night's game. Sure the refs all rotate around but I found that odd. I wished there was a way to quickly query the games Foster officiated in. My assumption is that most of those games are nationally televised games.

15. napalm06

As much as this would be super entertaining, it will never happen. The NBA would come down like a hammer on the franchise. Think NCAA style sanctions on draft picks and fines galore. Tilman would fall in a faint. For some reason officials have the blessing of the NBA, even over its coddled player's union.

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

A big part of Harden's game is driving to the basket. If everytime you drive to basket you get called for an offensive foul, or you have to play tenative since you are close to fouling out, you don't think that plays into how he played in the second half? Why do you think he kept settling for threes? They took Harden out of the game with those bogus calls.

YOLO likes this.
  17. durvasa

Thanks for the video links.

The offensive foul on Capela was questionable, but not an outright bad call. It's a call you see from time to time. Particularly when the defensive player is blind to the pick coming up behind him, if the offensive screener is moving even a little on the contact he is risking drawing an offensive foul. I didn't like it, but I couldn't honestly say we got screwed on that call.

Rondo call was bad, agreed.

LeBron drawing the superstar foul in that scenario is annoying. Not surprising, and not out of the ordinary. Harden gets his share of those.

That offensive foul against Harden, again, is not an out of the ordinary call. I also would have been happy with the no-call in that situation, but you can't count on that.

We had an 18 point lead with 4:27 left in the 3rd quarter. That lead was gone by 4:36 left in the 4th quarter. So, an 18 point swing in less than 12 minutes of game time in the second half.

Some stats during that span:
    1 offensive foul against the Lakers (Kuzma), 2 against the Rockets (Capela, Harden)
    0 shooting fouls against the Lakers, 3 against the Rockets (Faried, Tucker, Paul)
    Rockets during this span: 4-8 2FG, 1-13 3FG, 0-0 FT
    Lakers during this span: 9-11 2FG, 2-7 3FG, 5-5 FT
    Harden during this span: 1-2 2FG, 0-4 3FG, 0-0 FT, 1 AST, 2 TOV
    LeBron during this span: 4-4 2FG, 0-1 3FG, 2-2 FT, 1 AST, 0 TOV

tinman likes this.
  18. durvasa

Except weren't those two offensive fouls Harden received driving to the basket toward the end of the fourth quarter when the Rockets had already completely lost their lead?

tinman likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vlade's fault for tipping the ball to Robert Horry

20. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

If the latter could be true thats all that they are saying though. Of course the rockets need to be better, but that has nothing to do with scott foster. We are talking about Scott Foster. Instead of just initially dismissing the complaint, maybe you should acknowledge the validity in it which you halfway do here. Then just say what you want regarding the rockets frustrating play. Putting it all together now makes them feel like you are telling them they are wrong and to quit complaining. They are allowed to acknowledge poor play AND feel foster had a hand in the loss.

#120 Gorilladunks, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    BigMaloe likes this.