1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden 2019 better than Kobe 2006...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Dec 3, 2019.

1. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"You might not like it, but what James Harden is doing in the NBA this year is even more historic than his last two incredible seasons."

Folks, looks like another 2nd place MVP finish.

3. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

This article and the other one on ESPN today are framing a narrative where it will be impossible for anyone else to win MVP other than Harden.
    • Greatest offensive season ever post Wilt.
    • Breaks Wests record for FTs and Curry's record for 3PM in the SAME season.
    • Rockets would be a lottery team without Harden.
    • Better than Kobe 2006
    • Teams inventing whole new defensive schemes ONLY for him
    • Another MVP candidate (Doncic) has modeled his entire play style after Harden, but is still inferior to him.
    • Harden combining record efficiency with record usage rates.
    • Harden was MVP 2 years ago and got better. Then he was runner up last year and got better AGAIN.
    • Chase for 40 points per game is an exciting and easy to spin narrative all season long.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

him barely not getting 40ppg will be the reason he doesn't get it.

lol

daywalker02, Nook and justinh like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good points.....but just wait until ESPN's groupthink pushes Giannis as we get to the all-star break. In the LEASTERN Conference they will have the best record and a lot of the ESPN talking heads (and ex-players) are not Harden fans.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I listened to the latest Windhorst podcast. He said last season he listened to a "10 minute impassionate speech from Scottie Pippen on why Harden should NOT be MVP over Giannis." And Windhorst said he held that information with high regard.

Pippen is on The Jump. Now imagine him pushing his agenda on all of the other ESPN Voters. Ripple Effects. Stuff like that.

Nook and larsv8 like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

really getting tired of everything regarding Harden starting off with “u may not like his game, but”...”he might not be fun to watch, but”...”his free throws might want to make u scream, but”

Kobe can’t compare to what Harden has done the past 2 seasons...if Kobe had seasons like this, they’d be having serious “Has Kobe surpassed MJ?” debates...with Harden, he’s often not even viewed as a top 3 current player

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The people (former players, current players, writers, talking heads) that truly believe Harden shouldn't be --at the very least-- an MVP candidate are ones of low basketball intelligence, including Scottie Pippen, the same guy that MJ stole money from every night at the United Center betting on those racing games they show on the jumbo screens during timeouts.

#8 steddinotayto, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Honestly the Kobe comparisons are laughable at this point.

The only guards in this discussion are Jordan and Oscar.

AroundTheWorld and Blurr#7 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

"You know...... yeah 39 points a night is great but I need more. So on my ballot I have Giannis second and I had to go with Luka Doncic first. I mean is there really a big difference between 40 points a night and 30? Plus Harden has won the award and Luka hasn't. The Rockets have the better record but I just don't know, I don't like all those Harden free throws so I voted for Doncic. So Harden is third on my ballot. I mean maybe if he rebounds or blocked more shots I can move him up next year. Just show me something new." - What 66% of the media idiots will say around the voting date

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yup it's all narrative at this point on who wins MVP. Harden should be gunning for his, what, 5th MVP by now? But Silver/NBA/media wants that feel good "Mom, you're the REAL MVP" sob story.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah a foul is a foul.. howbout not fouling him

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You guys are making the same mistake as last year, and will again be disappointed. Harden’s been great. But Giannis’s numbers are no less eye popping and his team seems bound for another 1 seed.

The only way Harden will have an unassailable case, with what Giannis is doing out East, is if the Rockets are a juggernaut 1 seed. That appears to be unlikely.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

FIFY.

Giannis because he dunks a lot. LeBron because he's > father time. Luka because he's the new kid on the block.

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I especially like how he commits the most offensive fouls of all players (even though refs only call about 10% of them). That means he’s aggressive, and people like that.

He’s actually great for the NBA. When people get bored of him, they can start calling charges, and he’ll fall off a cliff. Then they can make a new player the talk of the league without changing any rules.

16. Adam Silver

Adam Silver Member

Doubt it. Luka and Giannis are both ahead of Harden right now. And Siakam and LeBron are right there as well. MVP race is wild this year. So many deserving candidates.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Anyone could get 40 if they had the usage rate Harden does. I know Doncic has a higher usage rate, but it's harder to produce stats with a higher usage rate.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's worth noting that who gets the MVP and who is the best player in the game are different stories.

Without doubt Harden is the best player in the NBA, and has been for at least 18 months. It's not difficult to argue that he has been the best player on planet earth since the start of his MVP season (so the last 2.5 years).
    Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.

That doesn't necessarily mean he should win MVP this season. If Houston is 5 seed, he won't get it. If they are a 1-2 seed, and he is scoring 35+ a game, it is virtually impossible to give it to anyone else.

19. BigTex

BigTex Member

That will definelty be "the excuse/reason" some bozos use to not vote for him. I can see Chris Broussards take now..."Harden averaged 39.9 points" If he just got to that round number I woulda voted for him"