1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hard Choices..

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nero, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, so, this teams needs a lot of help in some areas. We all know that.

But it does have some strengths from which it can deal, and so it means having to make some hard choices.

First, Osweiler cannot be the QB moving forward. It was clear to me that the team itself has given up on Brock, they quit on him during the game. Even if the coaches still have some kind of twisted faith in the guy, his teammates don't. It reminded me a bit of the Rockets last year, and how the entire team basically just gave up on Howard. Same deal here. So you cannot move forward with Osweiler as the QB, or it will just be yet another lost season.

Second, the rest of the division cannot stay sucky forever. The time to make the hard choices is NOW, not three years from now when Mariotta and Luck are finally getting good teams around them. NOW.

We need an almost entirely new O-line. Free agents, the draft, trades.. They need to spend 3 high picks on GOOD offensive linemen, and not whiff like with XS.

We have GOT to get a competent offensive coordinator. Norv Turner. He's the guy. Not that dipstick Chip Kelly, and not some nobody who has never done anything. Turner is available, and if we can get a decent QB in here, and upgrade the o-line, then the guy could come in here and work miracles.

Finally, the QB. Sure, draft a good one if he's there. But unless he's named Dak Prescott or someone similar, drafting a guy this year is not a NOW-success move, it's for the future. Absolutely necessary for the future, but it won't help much now.

So, what do we do?

Good-to-great QBs are just not available. Teams don't let them go. They let Scaubs and Osweilers go. Cassels. But the good ones, no.

Except, this offseason, yes.

Everyone knows who: Antonio Ramiro Romo. You know, Tony Romo.

Fragile? Yeah, so he has to be protected, by the play-calling and by the line. But if he can be kept healthy, then the guy instantly turns this team into a legit contender, at least a contender to do more in the playoffs than get their heads caved in every time.

But how? He's under contract, so you can't just throw money and get him, like with Brock. Oh and don't fret about Brock's money - that money is spent, there is nothing that can be done about it, no one will take him in trade, so he will just be an 18-million-dollar backup next year.

So we have to trade for him.

Trading draft picks is not something any team wants to do, because it can and will come back to bite you in the buttocks. How do you guys think Minnesota fans feel about now? Yuck.

Anyway, so, instead of trading picks, trade a player. Or a player and some combination of picks.

And if you want to trade a player, and not have it kill your team, then you have to trade from a position of relative strength.

This team did have a strength this year, and that was the defense. Does this defense have anything valuable it could trade away without killing the team, AND be something the other team would be willing to takein exchange for Romo?

Well, this was the #1 defense this year, *without* Watt.

I know. It's painful to even contemplate, and honestly, I don't think McNair would ever part with Watt, even if it could bring a haul and not kill the defense.

But, that does leave Clowny.

We work some kind of deal with Clowny and whatever other picks would be necessary to get Romo out of Dallas. Dallas gets the pass rusher it needs, the Texans get a legit top shelf QB, and with Watt returning, the defense could actually be better than it was this year, so you haven't lost much.

I have no idea if this could work under the cap and whatnot, but it's a starting point to think about.

Dallas has the golden carrot in Romo, and Houston has an extra golden pass-rusher in Clowny or Watt.

Hard choices, and I know there is enough Dallas hate in this part of the state that a lot of people would turn their noses up at such an idea.., but it's kind of like passing up on Derek Carr - sometimes you just need to stop turning your noses up and look at things realistically.

If the Texans can solidify the o-line, and get a decent Coordinator in here, then you are a good QB away from being legit. It's really not that different a situation from Denver a few years ago when they gambled on Manning.

It's at least worth considering.

I would hate to see Watt go as much as anyone, but with his iffy back and Clowny's emergence (finally!).. which guy do you send out? Hard choices indeed.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't eggball but finally y'all can see the truth. JJ Fatt is an over-rated, unathletic loser. He is addition by subtraction. Either trade this loser or just cut him.

Texans with JJ Fatt - 2-14 embarrassment and 30-0 humiliations at HOME
    Texans without JJ Fatt - #1 defense and Playoffs

mario_v likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard to know who will emerge as the more valuable durable defensive player really out of JJ or Clowney, since they have both had a few injuries. My bet would go on Clowney for long term production, simply because his body hasn't taken as much impact as JJ's. JJ's body could be on the decline, but you never know. Our bodies aren't built to lift tractors, but guys take supplements and everything legal they can to make them bigger and stronger. When you start putting too much stress on the bones, ligaments, and back, things just break and tear. Who knows if Romo will break his back again either. But, Denver took a chance on Peyton and it got them a Super Bowl. Romo would definitely bring the offensive threat at QB we desperately need.

I would hate to lose either of our Beasts of Burden, because our defense will be a force with JJ and Clowney, and if one gets injured we will still have the other. That being said, I would love to see Romo throwing bombs across the field to Hopkins, Fuller, and Strong. I hate Dallas though, so even if the opportunity does come about, the thought of making a deal with the devil makes my stomach turn.

#3 deb4rockets, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. rockpileindisma

Hates eggball. Hates the Texans. Hates JJ watt. Hangs out in Texans forums and JJ watt threads. #makesense

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I hate you.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a hard choice, you don't even consider trading Watt or Clowney and you laugh at anyone who comes to you with an offer.

edwardc, red5rocket and ramotadab like this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL....he wants to trade Clowney and/or Watt for a 36 year old QB who hasn't played a full season in 3 years. LOL. God, there are some DUMBASSES on this board.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's probably just better to assume that they are Cowboys fans that want to rip off the Texans in order to one day win a playoff game like the Texans did.

9. Buck Turgidson

Trade Clowney for a guy who will most likely be cut, then *add picks* to sweeten the deal? This is GARM-worthy.

Nook and swoosh1014 like this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

What color is the sky in your world?

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Romo got hurt behind the best O-line in the NFL and outside of one drive this year, he hasn't played a meaningful series in a while. He's also 37

12. Nero

Nero Member

Sure. You're right. It's a dumbass idea, just ask Denver. The Texans will be just FINE without a legit QB, so it's CRAZY to consider dealing from a position where you have a luxury to acquire something where you have a need. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, like I said, the Texans would HAVE to beef up the O-line, because putting a guy like Romo behind the line as it currently sits would be a disaster.

But go ahead, turn your noses up. SOMEONE will trade for the guy, and when he's leading a team deep into the playoffs next year, and Houston goes 9-7 and gets molested in the playoffs again, just keep reminding yourself what a dumbass move it would have been to bring a guy like that in here, especially if we draft a good young quarterback. Couldn't learn a thing from him, no way.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cowboys couldn't afford Watt's contract anyway

14. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Stopped reading at Romo for Clowney and picks...

Thanks for the laugh!

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Wishful thinking at its worst. I can give you 18M reasons why Lossweiler will be the QB of next year's lost season. End of story. And again, if Savage was supposedly the answer, then why did BoB aka the "QB Guru" and George (The Fall Guy) Godsey sign off on this dweeb? I have never heard a good explanation for this except to blame Rick Smith, Bob McNair, the Cookie Monster, evil space aliens and Donald Trump. (Personally I blame Don Coon er King)

Thank You Capt. Obvious but I must remind you that the last time they looked for OL, they came up with XSF. Somehow, I'm not filled with confidence they'll get this right.

Dude is 64 years old and just walked away from his last gig. As for him somehow being "Miracle Man", you know what they say about Ifs (and buts).

And what in this universe makes you believe that even if the exact clone of Dak was staring them in the face at this year's draft the Texans would somehow be able to recognize him? After all they certainly didn't see Dak standing there in the last draft. In fact, the only person who bothered to look at film of him at Miss State was Wade Wilson and last time I looked, there are NO Wade Wilsons in this organization.

I actually started laughing until I realized you were serious. Tony "My Back Hurts!" Romo??? Seriously??? You'd place this team in salary cap hell for a guy who's one hit from needing a portable walking chair or some such assistance device? Please refer to my earlier observation about IFs. Not to mention how many chuckles and snickers you'd give the national media every Sunday when they pan over to the sideline to show $18M Brock with his helmet on and his "lost baby deer look". I can hardly wait - might just be that something "extra" the Texans' TV ratings need to attract viewers in other parts of the state. Also, you do realize that Romo is experienced in a totally different offensive system than whatever it is that BoB is running here. I'm curious how you can believe that this would work but I forget that BoB is the QB "whisperer".

OK, I'm looking at this realistically and I don't see how going after a fragile QB at the end of his career like Romo compares to getting a very good young franchise caliber QB in his early 20s. That plus the in-state humiliation you'd visit on long suffering Houston football fans as they get ridiculed by those legions of arrogant Cows fans. And I'm not going to even point the absolute joy you'd be giving Jerruh as he is gifted with a golden opportunity to stick it to those also-rans down in Houston.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Not even for Matt Ryan?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't laugh at them for it, and I might even take it, but that wouldn't be offered.

18. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Is Atlanta stupid enough to trade away Matt Ryan for Clowney or Watt?

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

STOP comparing Romo to Manning. Romo has never won a playoff game. #2, Broncos didnt have to trade ANYTHING for Manning.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

This is how Dumb you are. Everyone in the NFL knows the Cowboys cant keep Romo on the roster for 2 reasons: 1. It could hurt Dak's development ( Romo wants to play....every Dak game: "when u putting in Romo?), # 2...Cowboys need help on D....they need the cap space for Free Agents (despite what Jones days). The thinking is Romo will go for a 4th or 5th round pick. And u want to trade Clowney....lol.