1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hannah Gadsby's Nanette

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Jun 21, 2018.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Netflix has got the latest stand-up show of Hannah Gadsby. It's a bit unusual for a stand-up act. Kinda more like a TED Talk than stand-up. Anyway, very interesting philosophical talk about gender, acceptance, comedy, art, etc. I was impressed. If you've seen it, interested to hear what people thought. If you haven't I encourage you to see it. She's gotten a ton of press coverage for it, but here's a random article if that's helpful: https://www.thecut.com/2018/06/hannah-gadsbys-nanette-and-the-limits-of-laughter.html

2. tmms

tmms Member

Haven't seen the show or ever heard her name before, but you just got me interested in watching it by comparing stand-up to TED talk.

Always thought that there's not much difference between the stand-up acts that made me think and some of the speeches in the form of TED talks.

It sounds like this show is more like a meta-comedy that deconstructs her past stand-up acts, which could make it more comparable to TED talks.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, meta-comedy sounds right. I mean, there's straight stand-up too. But she talks about how she uses her act to manipulate your emotions and she's doing it at the same time. I thought it was a trip. Doesn't seem to have caught traction here though.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I tried to get through it, just didn't appeal to me.