1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon EPIC Game 6 Highlights vs SuperSonics (1987 Playoffs) - 49 Pts, 25 Reb, 6 Blocks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For Rockets fans only

The_Yoyo, juanm34, napalm06 and 23 others like this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Ill take it. Sign im up

Killatron 2000 and MadMax like this.
  3. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Can we get him back? :rolleyes:

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes he might be the owner

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

An incredible game that day. In a way, unfortunate it was so great because it seemed the Sonics triple and quadruple teamed him from then on every game we played them. I've never seen a team so terrified of a player that they essentially used multiple players to deny Dream the ball every trip down court.

6. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

When you play with him in 2k he seems small, but watching this video he was a legit 7 footer who played big

I think he is 6-11 in 2k and plays soft like duncan

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Is this the first video you saw of Olajuwon?

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Yes.

10. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I watch Dream compilation videos all the time. Can't help myself. He was that great. He is the reason why I love basketball so much. Thanks for creating this thread.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

@Clutch @heypartner @Jeff

We have to work to do to educate Rockets fans

they need better coders, maybe forgot to program this

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Let me give you a hint of who the biggest Hakeem Olajuwon fan is

You are on his site

13. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1463/olajuwon_and_the_unbeatable_rockets_of_1986/

Olajuwon's "Unbeatable" 1986 Rockets
    [​IMG]
    Saluting the great Hakeem Olajuwon, we dig up some 22-year old VHS tapes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FRIDAY, APRIL 11, 2008 1:18 PM CST
    [​IMG]
    By Clutch
    Copyright 2008 ClutchFans.net
    [​IMG]

As Hakeem Olajuwon prepares to go into the Hall of Fame and the Rockets set to unveil a monument in his honor tonight, I can't help but reflect on how I am a Rockets fan today in large part because of Olajuwon.
    I was born in New York and lived there until I was 4 -- my earliest sports memory was owning a Wesley Walker #85 Jets jersey. We moved to Houston though in 1977 and a few years later I would be swept up into Earl Campbell and 100 mph fastballs from J.R. Richard and Nolan Ryan.

I was an Oilers and Astros junkie. The Houston Rockets? Not really. I wouldn't even call it a distant third -- it just wasn't in the race for me.

In 1982, my older brother started following the University of Houston basketball team. "Phi Slama Jama", they called them. They had a bunch of scorers and athletes and one big soccer goalie from Africa named Akeem Abdul Olajuwon, so I started watching games and reading the papers.

At my young age, basketball seemed boring to me, but this jamfest was an exciting brand and Olajuwon drew me in. I was hooked, and so was much of the city.

Those who saw Dream back then know what he did in college. He went from being a defensive player to an attacking terror on both ends, and it resulted in 3 trips to the Final Four for the Cougars.

When he opted to leave after his junior season I was crushed, but there was a chance he was staying in town. The #1 pick in the NBA Draft came down to a coin flip between the Rockets and Portland Traiblazers, who had drafted Olajuwon's college teammate Clyde Drexler the year before.

Anton Chigurh asks Portland: What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss?
    Portland brass called "tails". The coin came up "heads". The Dream would continue in Houston, and I've been all in on the Rockets ever since.

My story isn't unique. Olajuwon put the Rockets squarely on the sports map in Houston. He brought in thousands upon thousands of new fans to the Rockets and their Dream-fueled run through the playoffs in 1986 created a "Luv Ya Blue" equivalent for basketball in a town where football reigned supreme.

I don't know what year it was that we got a VCR, but once we did I would try to record everything, filling up VHS tapes with any Houston-related sports game, clip, video or highlight that seemed like something I might want to watch again.

I recently made a trip back to Boston, where my family lives now, and found some boxes of tapes (God bless my mother -- she kept everything). I started going through them and sure enough, there was the original recording of the Rockets-Lakers Game 5 of the West Finals in 1986 and all of the local post-game. Sure, other things I found, such as recordings of all of the local news broadcasts of Billy Hatcher being traded to the Pirates for Glenn Wilson, did suggest that I had an illness, but there was enough good stuff to hint it might be a bit of a treasure trove for a Rockets fan of the 80's.

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

This guy is winning an MVP in his career. Book it. Too dominant on both sides of the court. If Sampson can shake the injury bug, I expect us to be right up there with the Lakers and Celtics again.

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

5 star thread. I'm always up for some Hakeem highlights. @tinman

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

these threads make me sad. it's like dating that hottest pawg in school, but then you graduate and now you're stuck with melissa mccarthy. she could be entertaining but you aint hitting dat either.

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

If only Harden had a game 6 like this.

Can Hakeem teach Harden how to have heart?

18. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Dream is one of a kind. It never cease to amaze me how one guy gets double/triple/quadruple teamed and make buckets at a higher clip than his team mates in the clutch.

Take that for data.

tinman and heypartner like this.
  19. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

So James Harden = Melissa McCarthy??? :eek:

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

Championship performances aside, I've always considered to be his best all around performance.

Akeem "The Team" Olajuwon - "One man is not supposed to beat 5, but Akeem almost did."