1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hair loss

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by finalsbound, Aug 26, 2010.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I'm at a loss (chortle) about what to do...my hair has been falling out lately, usually just a few strands when I'm brushing it, but periodically it has come out in small chunks in the shower. I've been taking zinc and selenium supplements for about a week, but I haven't really noticed any improvement. Should I wait longer before I go to the doctor for it? I assume this is just stress-related, so I hope it stops soon. It's not like you can tell - I mean, I have super thick hair to begin with, so it's actually been kind of nice to not have so much of it, but I just want to know that there's an end in sight. The day I look at myself in the mirror and can TELL my hair is thinning out, that's when I'm gonna panic...

Has anyone else had stress-related hair loss? Did you take any medication for it?

thanks

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

KingCheetah has a mean grip.

1 person likes this.
  3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Same issue, I have the thick hair thing going too. I'll tell you one suggestion I was given (makes sense, but haven't tried it yet) -- the water in houston is HORRIBLE. One of my barbers was saying to get a filter for the shower, I hadn't thought of that but it definitely could be a contributing factor. All the sediments and crap in it, etc. Stress is always a contributor as well as being overweight I believe.

So I guess, be at peace 100% of the time and be super skinny. Plus move to the rain forest. ;)

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I have some high protein hair gel I make myself that will repair the scalp. It does need to be applied daily though.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

About a year after my dad had passed away my mom had chunks of her hair fall out from stress. My mom's hair grew back as thick as ever once she her stress went away.

6. Landlord Landry

this happened to my wife........ 4 times. all 4 times she was pregnant.

7. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Would that help regrow hair in balding men as well? :D

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

moestavern19 falls in a faint

9. finalsbound

Uhhh, no...not pregnant. It's my t.o.m. right now anyways. The hair loss has been going on for a couple months. Obviously it's related to emotions and out-of-whack hormones, but I was curious as to how long it would last. From all accounts, it goes away within a few weeks. I guess I don't have to stress over it too much.

Thanks for the input.

10. cavevato

cavevato Member

I say go to the doctor. About a year and a half ago I went to the doc to inquire about propecia because my hair was thinning. He was reluctant to prescribe it, and after some discussion he said "Lets run a blood test, if everything is ok then I'll reconsider". Did the test, turned out I had hyperthyroidism. Later test revealed I had Graves Disease which was causing the hyperthyroidism. If you'd rather wait, make sure your eating right. If your on some kind of exercise/diet plan make sure you're doing it healthy and not tryng to get results to fast.

11. Landlord Landry

if it's a boy: Carl Landry

if it's a girl: Carly Landry

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No problem finalsbound -- anytime.

2 people like this.
  13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Yeah.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Biotin. Get the strongest one.

You can find it at GNC.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I too think its stress related...don't really know how to fix that, but I would agree that once the stress stops, it'll get better...

I use to have thick hair, now its thin and I keep it short...sign of the times...

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No, but my friend Gary and his pals have plenty of the right product for you.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

A multi B vitamin will/should help. It's normal to lose about 100 hairs a day. I wouldn't be overly concerned just yet.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

my sister was losing her hair. she finally went to the doc for some other ailment. they did a blood test and found out she was diabetic. diabetes can cause hair loss. might want to get tested for it if you haven't already.

19. finalsbound

Thanks. Being a vegetarian, I do take a B complex to ensure i get enough B12.

carevato: I have been checked for hyperthyroidism in the past and it was negative. I feel like I'm reasonably healthy. I run almost every day, and I've been eating a lot of vegetables and whole grains. I've dropped a good amount of excess weight from the beginning of this year.

It just hit me though, and this might sound stupid, but do you think energy drinks could contribute to stress and/or hair loss? I usually drink at least one Red Bull a day.

macalu: eeesh...hope not.

#19 finalsbound, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Not to worry you, I had a friend who was a girl that had the same thing happen to her and she had alopecia and that resulted in the loss of all of bodily hair.