1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Growth of the coaching staff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MorningZippo, Nov 21, 2012.

1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

For all of you watching tonight, I know how bad the coaching staff is in game. Questionable rotations, questionable plays, and so on. The usual rant.

However, a couple thing I have noticed that aren't all bad. Patrick Patterson is starting to put the ball on the floor after a pump fake, and he's making plays because of it. I believe this is Sampson, trying to develop Patrick's face up game. He looked ecstatic after Patterson made a couple of plays, jumping up and down. He also has called more timeouts than he has in the past, stopping 2 Bull's runs in their tracks.

I now believe that Sampson has a solid head on his shoulders, he simply suffers from inexperience.

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

He's been an assistant coach for years. He should know rudimentary knowledge like knowing when to call timeout and not benching your starting PG on a good run in OT.

3. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

When you compare to thibidou its just so amusing how baaaaaad

4. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

cmon tv coaches you dont know a first thing about coaching....go get some real life experience instead of frustrating yourself over something you have no clue about....:grin:

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Here's something people may not realize... But NBA coaches, assistant coaches, and everyone on that staff can draw up plays that work perfectly in theory. One that can account for different defensive sets, different shot clock situations, everything. One that will always result in the best shot for the team on any occasion. Even JVGs and Mike Browns of the world can preach it just fine.

Getting players to execute such sets? That's the problem. Especially when the average roster age is like 23 now without Delfino.

6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Maybe I didn't explain it well in my OP, but what I'm saying is Patterson has clearly bought into what his coach is telling him, and that's where the growth is.

7. Mysteryhunt

Mysteryhunt Member

I just like that we are actually running nba plays! some of that stuff we were doing on offense around games 4-5 was bizarre.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Patterson by all account is a coach's boy and a very smart player. He didn't just all of a sudden start to listen to his coach. But rather repeatedly playing the same offensive sets, seeing different defenses, and is capable of better reading them.

NBA plays mostly involve a lot of read and react from players. And it takes experience to do this well. Hence why veteran teams always execute better than young teams.

9. philchips

philchips Member

This is only one game for patterson and his post game is weak at best and is still a below average rebounder. As far as sampson is concerned, what's with no minutes for jones? One game some minutes next game nothing. This is a confused system that flip flips.

10. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

All you guys care is about O. the Rockets oPPG is 100.9 Ranked at 27th in the first 11 games, and they hold the Bulls below...
    I was mad at the coach cuz the roster is much better in D compared to the one we have last year (97.9 oPPG). But, we were worse.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

We have a much younger roster this year with nearly all player coming in from different teams. Lack of defensive cohesion early on should be expected. Also, we are playing a faster pace this season, averaging 2~3 extra possessions per game compared to last year. That alone would make up ~3 points/game.

12. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Corrected.
    Look at the first 3 games the rox have won, it was either Harden making all the tough shots or the bench players putting up huge numbers. Well... I won't be expecting Harden to play like M.J. in every game nor the bench to step up, but I do expect we play BETTER D with the current roster.

13. prs325

prs325 Member

I have a feeling that the Rockets are showcasing PatPat building his value while trying to hide TJones. In the event of a trade, TJones will seamlessly transition into the rotation, perhaps even take the starting spot.

I mean 20 points for Patty, and a DNP-CD for TJones after consecutive games of solid play - something is up...

14. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

This year we finally have a solid center in the middle. We have Ppat and Morris at PF rather than Scola. Also, we have Harden instead of KM. I won't be expecting a par in defense.

15. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

I still remember the time when Rox had to play the Scola + Ppat at 5...

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

We had mostly Courtney Lee at SG last year. And we had Lowry for a lot of the time too. I don't know why you just pick the bad and purposely ignore our good defenders.

Also, team defense doesn't get built in 12 games. If the Rockets are playing the same way at the end of the season, then it's worth griping.

17. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

The we had two good defending guards, "GUARDS". Sorry...