1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Griffey soon to be traded

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AtlantaRocketsFan, Nov 2, 1999.

1. AtlantaRocketsFan

i just ran across this little bit of info. in the wires. from what i've heard not only has he asked to be traded but the team has agreed to trade him as well. should be fun to see who gets him!

----------------------------

SEATTLE (AP) - Seattle Mariners star Ken Griffey Jr. has asked
    to be traded, the team said Tuesday.
    The Mariners had presented Griffey a new contract proposal on
    July 17 - an eight-year deal to comence with start of the 2000
    baseball season. His existing contract runs through 2000 season.
    Financial terms of the proposal would make Griffey the
    highest-paid player in the history of Major League baseball, the
    Mariners said in a news release.
    Griffey and his agent, Brian Goldberg, met in Orlando, Fla., on
    Monday with Mariners chairman and CEO Howard Lincoln, president
    Chuck Armstrong and Pat Gillick, the team's new executive vice
    president and general manager.
    Griffey said he wants to play on a team located nearer his home
    in Orlando, the Mariners said.
    He declined the contract proposal and asked that the Mariners
    begin trade discussions with other teams.

2. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Well, being the Blue Jays fan that I am, if the Jays do happen to get rid of Green and Delgado, I hope they can land someone like Griffey. That may be wishful thinking, but it is definately possible.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We are about to enter the millenium of the Rockets . . .

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Well Azim Da Dream.

Griffey wants somewhere close to home in Orlando, Florida. ANd Toronto is probably out of the range. [​IMG]

BUT >>>... HOUSTON IS NOT FAR FROM ORLANDO!

How about this.

Alou and Bell and Elarton for GRIFFEY!

HELL YEAGH!

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Its pretty much known that Griffey is going to the Braves. And in NYC, they are saying that the Mets will then try and get ARod. Its an arms race in baseball.

I would love to have him on my team. No one can touch a package of Andruw Jones, Kevin Millwood and two quality pitchers? Atlantas AAA system is the best and their prospects are among the best in the majors. They are loaded. He will be on my squad next year.

GO BRAVES!!!

5. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Almu, you just lost all the respect I had for you after that post.

Ok, fine, I'm still cool with you, but come 'on, man! [​IMG]
    How can you like the freaking Braves??! It baffles me that your such a die-hard Rockets fan, and then go on to root for the Ted Turners. Sure, I give them all the props for competing year-in and year-out, but I'm frankly sick of seeing their cocky, deep-pocketed butts every October. They don't seem to learn the lesson that no matter how much money they throw, they cannot finish with Clutchness, and win the big one. I know they had loads of injuries this season, but with the pitching they have, they should not have got swept. But peed me off more was the way Chipper Jones and John Rocker treated the Mets fans, that was uncalled for.

But I guess I'm going to have to live with the Braves, 'cause they're young, they got money, and they're sure as hell will get some other all-stars this off-season, like you mentioned.

Azim da Dream

------------------

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited November 03, 1999).]

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Braves will never give up Millwood.

And the mets wont get A rod.. They already have the best infield.

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Azim,

Unless you live in the NYC area, you would have no idea how the Met fans just dogged Chipper and Rocker when they came here the first time. Wait, it was the second time. July, I think.

Case in point. I was watching a Chipper interview after a pretty good game he had. He was on live with one of the reporters and the crowd started chanting "Chipper sucks". Then all of a sudden, what seems to be a coffee cup comes flying across the screen almost hitting Chipper in the face. Is that ok? When I went to a Met/Brave game in July, I sat behind the Brave bullpen way up in the bleachers. There was not one thing you can mention to me that the Met fans did not throw at the bull pen. That included a beeper from the guy about 6 seats away from me. You can ask anyone who is not blinded by NYC and they will tell you that NYC fans are the rudest, most arrogant, ignorant acting, raving lunatics on the planet.

As for the money the team spends. I was rooting for them when the absolutely SUCKED. The only one worth anything was Dale Murphy who won the MVP in 1982 and in 1983. They sucked. And they sucked bad. I don't like Ted Turner. But I love Bobby Cox. And in baseball, the best team doesn't always win. Its not about Clutchness. Its about luck alot of the times. The Yankees would not be in the Braves way if that little kid would not have jumped out of the stands and interfered with a play. The umps should of got the guy out. The Yankees inning would of been over. They would of went home. The Braves would most likely win in 1996. This year, the Yankees got TWO great calls in their favor thanks to the umps. No way they win game 2 or 4 against Boston without the umps helping them. But they got the call. In 1991, the Braves went 11 innings and lost on a bad call at 1st base which led to a Kirby Puckett homerun. They went from worst to first that year. So that right there would of been 3 titles with a possible one this year if Andres Galarraga, Javy Lopez, Kerry Lightenburg and Rudy Seanez, all MAJOR parts of the team, would be in there. Sure they have the pitching the other years, but they made the mistake of having a bad bullpen. Not bad...AWFUL. So they fixed that this year and what happens? They get hammered with injuries and still get to the World Series. Its not always about how good they are. Its about getting the right breaks.

I root for this team because to me, they are winners and I love the fact that they have an owner like Les Alexander who will do WHATEVER to win. And you can't say they spend money recklessly. Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Smoltz, Glavine, Rocker, Millwood, Lopez, and a ton of others all came from drafting, scouting, and cultivating their minor league system and keeping their farm system intact year after year. They could easily go out and buy a team like the Marlins did. But they didn't. They draft the talent. And then they sign the talent. Maddux, Galarraga and a few others are exceptions. You mean that Les Alexander would not spend more if there was no cap in the NBA? This year, the team showed alot of heart and determination. If you take out Olajuwon and Barkley along with Mobley and Rogers, would the Rocks win the title? Or get to the NBA Finals? If they did, how would you feel? I would feel damn proud.

I love the Braves. I hate the owner. Hes an idiot. Hes an ass. Hes a jerk. But the team does not embody the owner. They embody the manager who most feel is the nicest most down to earth person people run into. They say the same things about him and his relationships with players that they say about Rudy T. Just for that, I like them.

Azim, I hope you like my little novel I just wrote! Damn, I can talk! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited November 04, 1999).]

8. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Actually, Beck, Griffey has veto power over all trades. If the Braves trade for him, they he will sign with the Braves long term. If he doesn't think he will sign with them, he can just say that he ain't going.

He is in control.

9. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Almu,
    It's obvious your a true Braves fan and know your baseball, you defended your team from all sides, and it appears you've been a fan since the days they actually sucked. But, there's some aura of cockiness of that team that for some reason or another annoys the crap out of me. Maybe its the fact that Ted Turner is behind it all, or maybe its just me. [​IMG] Like you said, Cox is the man that the team embodies, and I've liked that guy since the days he was with the Jays. Another reason I may hate the Braves is that they are the perrenial favorites year-in and year-out, and I've become notorious to go against the Bully's - so to speak - of pro sports. It doesn't help that one of my buddies is a hard-core Atlanta fan and rubs it in my face every time they make the World Series (of course, they couln't do anything against the Jay's in '92 [​IMG])

IN short, I totally respect your love of the Braves, and I hope you respect my hate for them. Just don't expect me to feel sorry for them when they choke again next year!

Azim da Dream

------------------

10. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

The Braves will trade Glavine and Andruw Jones, but not Millwood. Millwood is their next great starter. If they trade for Griffey, Griffey might not sign there. He is a free agent after this year, and even though he is Ken Griffey Jr., being in the last year of a contract brings his value down. Glavine and Andruw Jones is the best offer that Seattle will get.

[This message has been edited by Beck (edited November 04, 1999).]

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Almu, I'm not doubting your love for the Braves even when they suck, but I just laugh because every Brave fan I ask always says the same thing, "I was a fan back when Bob Horner and Dale Murphey was there."

My response, "Who was their starting shortstop? Center fielder? Catcher?"

My typical responses include the following, "Huh? Did you catch that Cowboys game last weekend? How about them Spurs? I'm voting for GWB! [​IMG] "

Most Braves fans seem to also like the other current winners of the day. Most baseball fans know about Dale Murphy and Bob Horner.

I tell you why I hate the Braves, and it's pretty much the same reason I hate the Jazz, the refs help them too much. When strikes are 18 inches off the plate for the Braves, but not for other teams, that's the equivalent of illegal picks to get a wide open shot. I just laughed my @$$ off at that Livan Hernandez game when all the Braves pitchers were bithching about the horrible calls in that game when they get the same calls everygame.

Anyway, Almu, I trust your true love for the Braves!!

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Rocketman,

Dale Murphy was my mothers other great love in her life besides my dad. We are talking major crush. My dad was a Dodger fan and they destroyed the Braves and then I would root for the Astros and they would hammer them also.

I have to admit, they do get alot of calls when it comes to balls and strikes. But that can't be the argument all the time. This year against the Yankees, they had the customary calls, but the Yankee hitting patience won out on alot of their battles. But, I don't care if the All Century Team played the Yanks this year. They were going to lose.

And as to just knowing Murphy and Horner, I loved Gene Garber. Kent Tekulve part dux. And Gary Mathews? What about Bruce Benedict as the catcher and Camp as the pitcher. What a scrub he was. And lets not forget Glenn Hubbard. Another scrub.

As for the aspect of being bullies, I can see your point. But trust me. I don't root for classless teams. I don't care how good they are. To me, the Braves are extremely humble, too professional to a fault, and if you saw Smoltz interview after they lost to the Yankees, they don't make excuses.

I understand your points. I guess I could see that if someone is trying to explain to me about how nice the Yankees are. No problem. I am just hoping that next year is our year, we resign Chipper, get Griffey, and dumb all those scrubs they keep for nothing. Klesko, Williams, Boone...man, I guess they are good for something or they wouldn't be on the team.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Almu, in the days of the internet anyone can get that info pronto! [​IMG]

I'm glad that you're a real fan, I never doubted it.

BTW, love the signature!

14. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

You funny Rocketman!! [​IMG]

15. Glen Hubbard...Now if thats not a name I figured I'd never....ever...ever hear again, I don't know what is. Weren't him and Bob Horner like....twins.

16. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Almu,
    I know the way the 10/5 rule works. The statement had to do with Griffey's trade value. Griffey is saying that he wants to be closer to home, but thats not it. He wants the big money and regardless of where he is traded he will become a free agent and test the market. Just because he doesn't veto a trade doesn't mean he is going to sign with that team.

17. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Beck,

I heard his agent on an interview here in NYC and his agent said where Griffey ends up, that is where he signs.

18. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Why wouldn't Griffey's agent say that? If he doesn't say the Griffey will sign where he is traded to, Griffey's trade value goes down. The agent and the Mariners have to work together to get this deal done. The Mariners will not trade Griffey unless the deal is super-sweet so the agent has to try to make Griffey sound as attractive as possible.

[This message has been edited by Beck (edited November 08, 1999).]

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Beck -- the problem is that no team is going to give up what they are going to have to give up to get Griffey without having him sign immediately. No way the Braves give up Andruw Jones and Tommy Glavine for one year of Junior. No way the Astros give up Elarton, Hidalgo and Alou for one year of Junior. And you better believe that if it ends up being the Reds or some other smaller-market club they'll need those assurances even more so. Essentially this deal will look like a sign-and-trade, something fairly uncommon in baseball.

The Mariners are going to get a sweet trade, but they don't really hold the cards here. If they hold on to Junior through the year then he leaves them high and dry with nothing in return next season. Essentially they have no leverage. That's why they might have to end up getting less than they otherwise might have gotten in return. But as long as teams are bidding against each other they'll do just fine.

The M's are already talking about trading A-Rod, despite the fact he told them not to, because they're scared they'll end up getting nothing for arguably the best SS in baseball. You just can't afford to cultivate that kind of talent and then watch it walk out the door with nothing in return.

20. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Thats what I have been saying.