1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest "Space Sci-Fi" Shows in history

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Feb 15, 2012.

?

What is the best space based sci-fi show in history?

1. ST: Deep Space Nine

11.2%
  2. ST: Voyager

0.5%
  3. ST: The Next Generation

14.2%
  4. Babylon 5

5.6%
  5. Battlestar Galactica (new series)

16.8%
  6. Firefly

24.4%
  7. Farscape

2.0%
  8. Stargate SG-1

5.1%
  9. Star Trek (original)

10.7%
  10. Other (please list)

9.6%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Thanks to this thread, I decided to go back and watch the entire DS9 series over the course of about 2 months and finished about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have to say I now think it's better as an overall work than TNG. TNG's Borg episodes to me still rival pretty much most of the DS9 series, but in terms of characters and overall depth of the series, it's not close - DS9 wins. The minor/side characters on DS9 actually have roles and reasons for existing as opposed to in TNG where half the damn cast was worthless at times. In DS9, I can only think of Jake Sisko as being pretty pointless (the Wesley Crusher of the series). It's a shame the show just abruptly ended and it's a shame Ezri only lasted a season. :grin:

Anyway, thanks to those that recommended it. Now to see if I want to try watching the entire Voyager or *gasp* Enterprise series. lol.

Deckard likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Voyager has a lot of really good episodes but I don't the overall arch is nearly as good as DS9.

Babylon 5 wins.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I think BSG edges Firefly because Firefly had so few episodes. DS9 is a close third.

4. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Babylon 5 slightly edges out DS9 for me.

The new BSG runs a close third.

When Babylon 5 and DS9 were both airing at the same time that was golden age for SciFi TV.

#144 Chilly_Pete, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've watched the full run of Voyager 3 times I think and first few seasons are painful but after season 3 or so it gets much better. There are still plenty of duds in there but the characters do become more endearing and interesting especially as the series heads towards it's conclusion.

Enterprise I watched it from start to finish on it's original run, no desire to revist that series.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

DS9 was the best Star Trek ever. TNG was very good, but DS9 went to another level after the first 2 seasons. The final scene of DS9 was very hard for me to take because I didn't want the show to end. Only thing that compares to it is Babylon 5.

Voyager wasn't bad but be warned it won't measure up to DS9. Don't waste your time on Enterprise unless you want to brag about seeing every episode of each Star Trek series.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aQttrkzWOo4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  8. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This isn't the "List your Sexual Orientation" thread.

9. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Gazpacho soup!

10. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

voted firefly even though i think it's overrated..gee there really hasn't been good sci fi in tv....i hope they make a serious star wars series. With HBO in fantasy, maybe sci fi is soon to come.

1 person likes this.
  11. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Which Battle Star Galactica should i check out? What channel and what season is it on?

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

You'll want to see the 2004 series. The series has ended and I'm not aware of anybody showing it in syndication. It is on Netflix streaming though, if you have that.

13. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

If you enjoy Sci Fi shows, BSG is a must! I finished it not too long ago and thought it was very good, better than any other scifi, imo.

so hot
    [​IMG]

14. TheresTheDagger

I loved the original Star Trek, but never really got into any other space themed TV shows....

Until the new Battlestar Galactica.

The first 3 seasons were some of the best television I've ever seen. I guess they just ran out of ideas cause the rest was definitely not as good.

Still, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

15. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

i went to piratebay. There is Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome, which is a movie and 4 seasons of Battlestar Galactica. Are they tied like Firefly and Serenity?

16. TheresTheDagger

BSG Blood and Chrome is a pre-quel movie for the BSG series. It takes one of the main characters from BSG (Commander Adama) and makes him a young cadet fighting the cylons 30-40 years earlier. I haven't watched it all yet but what I've seen looks good.

Watch the 2 part BSG movie first. If you like that, then you'll like BSG.

17. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

What is the 2 part BSG movie called?

So technically it should go(in terms of viewing order):

1. Blood and Chrome Movie

2. 2 part BSG movie you just mentioned

3. Season 1-4.

4. All webisodes?

18. TheresTheDagger

The webisodes (I believe....its been about 6 years since I saw them) take place between season 2 and 3.

Everything else you posted is chronologically correct.

There is also another BSG movie called "Razor" which can be watched anytime after Season 2 ends (if I remember right).

19. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

ok cool, but what is the name of the 2 part BSG movie so i can find it.

20. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica#2003_reimagining

I think that's the TV miniseries.

I haven't seen Blood and Chrome yet so I'm not sure if watching that before the series makes sense, but it is based on events that happen before the series.