1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest Hits in Astros History

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Spacemoth, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

10. Burke 1R HR, Game 4, bottom of the 18th, 2005 NLDS. Series clincher.
    9. Springer 1R HR, Game 5, bottom of the 7th, 2017 World Series. Tied it at 8-8 after the Dodgers just would not stop scoring.
    8. Kent 3R HR, Game 5, bottom of the 9th, 2004 NLCS. Game ending, gave us a 3-2 lead in the series, best moment in Minute Maid Park history to that point.
    7. Correa 1R HR, Game 2, bottom of the 11th, 2019 ALCS. Game ending, tied the series at 1-1. We might not have won this series without this hit.
    6. Springer 2R HR, Game 2, bottom of the 11th, 2017 World Series. Deciding runs scored in the second craziest game and second most impactful in Astros history.
    5. Altuve 3R HR, Game 5, bottom of the 5th, 2017 World Series. Tied it at 7-7 after the Dodgers threatened to pull away again.
    4. Yuli 3R HR, Game 5, bottom of the 4th, 2017 World Series. Tied it at 4-4 off Kershaw, gave us hope that he could be beaten and set off the greatest scoring barrage of any single game in baseball history.
    3. Altuve 2R HR, Game 6, bottom of the 9th, 2019 ALCS. Series clincher.
    2. Bregman 1-run single, Game 5, bottom of the 10th, 2017 World Series. Off Kenley Jansen. Triggered the greatest single moment in MMP history and probably the only time after which MMP needed some foundation repair because it was so damn loud.
    1. Marwin 1R HR, Game 2, top of the 9th inning, 2017 World Series. Tied it 3-3 with 2 outs in the 9th off Kenley Jansen, the most unstoppable closer of the year, with a zero-point-stupid ERA and zero blown saves until that point. Changed the entire World Series around, swung the momentum completely around, gave faith to the hearts of Astros fans who for 50+ years had never known it, broke the Houston Sports Curse that had been going on since 1995 and honestly probably even way earlier.

This is a franchise that's been around since 1961, and look at where the most important hits are. Go ahead and try to tell me that what happened a long time ago mattered as much.

#1 Spacemoth, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. Spacemoth

Maybe Springer's HR in game 7 of the World Series should be here also. Knocked Darvish out in the 2nd inning of the single most important game in Astros history.

DoitDickau and Von Rafer like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

All HRs except Bregman

Altuve HR, Game 2 @ Dodgers, Top of 10th

Good to have so many choices

4. Spacemoth

Gotta hope that this list changes up a bit over the next two weeks!!

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Billy Hatcher's home run has to be up there. 14th inning, game 6 of 1986 NLCS

msn, awc713, Plowman and 6 others like this.
  6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

No salamis yet

Yet

7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Man this question is tough...honestly I think I would put this Altuve HR tonight above Bregman's single. Altuve's tonight was HUGE. We were about to have to run out Osuna for a 2nd inning or role with Rondon and had they won I would have finally started thinking maybe we lose this series even with Cole on the mound tomorrow...I felt like eventually he is going to show he is human and give up a couple runs (likely early on as this is the only chance teams have had to get to him). Had we gotten down early tomorrow, I think our team would have been shell shocked given how we would have lost tonight and they may have never recovered (I think this is what happened game 5).

Plus, even if we had won tomorrow, we would of had to burn Cole but instead now we are set up perfectly in the WS with Cole, JV and Greinke going games 1-3 and I think Greinke on the road will be beneficial with us - he's the best hitting pitcher plus he's a NL style pitcher that needs the easy outs at the bottom of the order.

Personally, I think you have too many recent hits up there which I understand given we finally won a WS. That being said, I think the Kent HR should be a bit higher and the Ausmus HR that tied the game in the 9th that Chris Burke ended should be included with Burke as a 10a and 10b type thing - Ausmus had hit like 2 HRs tha year so I just remember it being unbelievable. Both of those moments were ones that FINALLY got us over the hump in the NLDS and then the NLCS.

crose and Mkieke like this.
  8. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

One of my favorites is still Ausmus 2005 NLDS Game 4 v Braves. Given our opponent & lack of success, Ausmus’ plate struggles and lack of pop, and the fact that it was 2 outs bottom of ninth - still feels like a great moment.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Interesting to think about these in terms of tension breakers vs walk offs, and based on your personality disorder, which each of you feels ranks higher.

Htown Stros likes this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

Well, there was THIS one in the NLDS bottom of the 8th. The one that made Ausmus and Berke's HR's possible.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Yeah, someone mentioned this in a different. I have no recollection of it.

Berkman's only advantage over Bagwell was postseason. And that's a big advantage.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even though the Astros won the NLCS in 2005 despite the Pujols HR, what it did unintentionally create is complete forgetfulness of Berkman's huge 3 run HR in the bottom of the 7th that gave the Astros the lead 4-2 and put them on the cusp of their first pennant ever.

If Lidge had been able to convert the save, we'd still be talking about that HR.... and now it can't even make a random top 10 list.

Just one of those things... but it is safe to say that MMP has had a TON of memorable moments. Probably now moreso than any Houston sports venue in the city's history.

Hippieloser and Htown Stros like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking about this but unfortunately we lost that game so as a moment in Stros history I think it rightfully has been overshadowed.

CometsWin likes this.
  14. the shark

the shark Member

Another one I like is the Big Bopper's (G. Davis) HR in game one of the '86 NLCS. Only run of the game with Scott pitching a 1-0 shutout!!

Not top ten worthy but still a huge hit.

Buck Turgidson and CometsWin like this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

This Springer Dinger was absolutely HUGE!!

In game 7 of the WS!!

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Toro HR in Verlander’s no hitter

msn, crose and CometsWin like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

No love for Charlton Jimmerson?

18. Spacemoth

The Marwin hit to break up Darvish’s no hitter.

HatsForBats, crose and donkeypunch like this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It was a perfect game he broke up.

crose likes this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Bonus points since I was there in person... everyone went silent for a few seconds thinking it was a double then wondered why Ausmus stopped running.