1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Grayson Allen is the next Chandler Parsons

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets13champs, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Big money will turn generic guy into chick magnet

2. i3artow i3aller

3. omgTHEpotential

What's the fascination with this guy? Has he showed anything that would indicate he could be more than a role player in the NBA?

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  5. omgTHEpotential

Haha.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Grayson Allen just got suspended by his own team for dirty play.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...suspends-grayson-allen-indefinitely/95742040/

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't follow college bsketball at all but just watching the clip from last night and this kid's lack of awareness and common sense should be a red flag for any NBA team to pick him. How are you going to sweep the leg and trip another player and act as if you did nothing wrong? I hope Coach K sits him for the entire season.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

Why cause he's white? He plays more like Von Wafer

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This guy is the quintessential hated Duke player. Better college player than pro. White. Myopic..... But I would love to have him for 4 years before he leaves to get overpaid

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Allen is douchey just like Parsons

11. omgTHEpotential

Has Parsons ever tripped someone on purpose on the court?

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Did the same thing twice last season as well. Something is up with this kid and good to see Coach K do something, even if a little late.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wonder if he had a father figure in his life to teach him how to be a man?

14. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

dude got hops.. currently projected as a 2nd round pick

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/grayson-allen

NBA Comparison: Courtney Lee/Bob Sura

Strengths: Allen came to Durham with the reputation of being a knockdown shooter and after an okay freshmen campaign (35 percent from three) is now looking the part as a sophomore (44 percent from three on high volume) ... For his career, he holds a 62.4 percent true shooting percentage ... Since his breakout game in last year's NCAA Championship Game, Allen has continued to be an offensive force for Duke ... Capable of shooting efficiently in both catch and shoot and off the dribble situations ... Given any room to get off a shot it's likely to find the bottom of the net ... Accepted the challenge early in the year of being the Blue Devils go-to guy and has flourished in the role ... A leader who plays with both passion and confidence ... Plays with great energy and always seems mentally prepared and a step ahead ... Creative when driving to the basket, utilizing his big hands to palm the ball ... Has put a few unsuspecting defenders on posters ... Straight line speed is above average and helps him flourish in transition ... Uses his jumping ability to snag rebounds that you would think were out of his range ... Positions himself well to be in the right place for rebounds ... Excellent free throw shooter (85.8 percent for his career) ... Willing defender ... Understands team defensive concepts ... Body shows that he works hard in the weight room to maximize his natural strength ...

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size for a shooting guard. While he gets a lot of dunks on drives, he doesn't possess the first step to get past elite defenders nor the athleticism to stand out at the position in the NBA ... Need to work on his in-between game ... At this point he generally does all of his damage shooting the three or taking the ball right to the basket ... Avoids contact when attacking the hoop ... Tries too often to jump around defenders instead of through the impending contact ... Despite an up tick in play is averaging less than one additional free throw attempt per 40 minutes this year (6.6 free throw attempts as a freshman and 7.2 FTA this year) ... Needs to become more comfortable with the ball in his hands ... If you take away his first two options he often struggles to improvise ... Not much of a creator with the ball ... Doesn't have the handle to make plays for others ... Lacks a certain feel for the game in terms of making those around him better ... At just 6'5", and with a small wingspan, he's on the shorter side for a two guard ... Hasn't shown the ability to be a consistent defender ... Can be caught fighting for rebounds unsuccessfully instead of rotating back for transition defense ... Not very agile, lacking lateral speed ...

Notes: Measured 6'4.5 (with shoes) 189 lbs with a 6'6.5 wingspan at the 2013 Kevin Durant Skills Academy ... 2014 Jordan Brand Classic and McDonald's All-American participant ... Won the 2014 Powerade Jam Fest and American Family Insurance High School Slam Dunk contests ... Named to the 2015 NCAA Final Four All-Tournament Team ... Named to 2015 ACC All Academic Team ... Currently leads the ACC in Offensive Win Shares (4.2 WS) and Win Shares (5.1 WS) this season

Overall: Allen has two things coveted for an NBA wing player, a sweet shooting stroke and explosive athleticism ... If Allen can craft himself into a solid defender, there will be minutes and opportunities available to him in the modern pace and space NBA ... In games against NBA level competition has underperformed this season (seven points on 3/18 shooting versus Utah, and six points on 2/11 shooting versus Kentucky) ... Could use one more year at Duke to complete his development into a two-way wing ...

#54 HardenTime, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  15. thegreatdantoni

So my 2 teams are duke and the rockets. I watch pretty much every game for both these teams.

I've only seen highlights of Bob Sura in college, but I watched him on the Rockets. Interesting comparison. I don't think Grayson Allen is a great shooter, but he's serviceable much like Bob. He plays with the same grit, but without the back injuries.

I'd say that competitive fire is what has made him trip people in tense moments (no excuses, I'm no grayson apologist). He plays the game like dwayne wade or russell westbrook. Much like westbrook, I guess using the fire means sometimes you lose your cool. Personally, I don't think that's a quality we want a player on the Rockets to have. Toughness, yep -- fighting coaches when the game is on the line, no -- I'm talking to you Montrezl. But a lot of the greats have lost their cool. For example, Chris Paul at Wake Forest. He punched Julius Hodge down low, and he recieved a tech for kicking daniel ewing down low. The narrative on Chris Paul is that he is a good person. So, can grayson overcome this weird chapter of his personal history? uh... maybe...

I think he is a little too slow to play the style he does in the league. He will have to develop a floater and a stronger left hand. I do think he has the ability to develop point guard skills, but that is not his current mentality. Honestly, I liked him better as a role player when Duke had more talent around him. Ever since ESPN hyped him up as a preseason all-american, his shot volume is up and his shot selection is down.

Can he be a good NBA player? Yes. Will he be a good NBA player? unclear.

On this year's team, I think Jayson Tatum, Luke Kennard, and Amile Jefferson will be better pros. Jefferson is starting to remind me of a fusion of antoine jamison and lance thomas. Kennard is like a left handed Jon Scheyer with a little more flair. He reminds me of Goran Dragic. Keep an eye on him. Tatum hasn't gotten on the court much yet, but he's going to be special.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. ABforPresident

Did anyone watch the Duke - UNC game? It was absolutely bananas! Grayson Allen looked like the real deal. Ice in his veins.

17. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

The idea Kennard is drafted ahead of Allen is ridiculous. I truly hate Duke but Allen can flat-out play. And spare me that "gritty this, gritty that"- Allen plays like a brother and will dunk it in anyone's face.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tatum is the most NBA ready of that bunch. Tatum has elite hops and quickness.

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'm impressed by Kennard's ambidexterity. There's something old-school about his game, reminds me of Chris Mullins.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I do respect Allen for getting his d-bagginess out in the open like this, can't be shocked when he makes a scene in his first contract negotiation.