1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grading the Rockets in Round One

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j@amc, Apr 26, 2018.

?

In beating Minnesota 4-1, I give the Rockets a ....

Poll closed May 3, 2018.
  1. A -- Better than I expected

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. B+ -- Not bad

82 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. B -- Okay, but not great

103 vote(s)
    50.5%
  4. C -- At this point, I'm unimpressed

15 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. j@amc

j@amc Member

So what do you make of the Rockets round one victory?

Before that series started, I made a list of the things that I was going to be watching for in the playoffs.
    1. A low turnover offense -- ✓+ (we were historically good in that closeout game)
    2. Tight defensive rotations -- ✓ (plenty of positives here, including Harden's personal effort)
    3. Rebounding -- ✓+ (the Wolves were a fine test here)
    4. Shots for Clint -- ✓ (going up against KAT and having success should bode well for the next round)
    5. Eric Gordon's shot and health -- ✓ (very up and down, but trending up in the last 2 games)
    6. Our counters when teams fight over the screen at the top of the key. -- INC. (the Wolves didn't really test us as others will)
    7. Teamwide deflections, steals, and loose ball recovery -- INC. (the Rockets struggled to maintain full defensive intensity here)
    My one sentence pre-playoff summary: "If we're sloppy with the ball, rebound with little intensity, and get away from our team oriented approach on D, we will make it hard on ourselves in the playoffs."

So overall, I give the Rockets a B+ for that Minnesota series.

When things were tight, the Rockets flipped "the switch." Though I'd like to see a little more creativity on offense (things like ball and player movement, etc.), overall we did more than enough to distance ourselves from the inexperienced Wolves. Facing either OKC or the Jazz though, we will need to step up our overall defensive intensity, especially in contesting passing lanes. (We did only had nine deflections in that close out game.)

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

They've only played 2 good quarters of ROX BALL other than that it's been a grind.

B-

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

B- I'd say, I've been impressed with a few quarters of offense and defense for some halves though some individuals including Harden have given their all for most of the series. I'm not going into the next series too confident, since we still haven't shown our true capabilities and we struggle with both the Jazz (length and defense) and the Thunder. It is a good sign though we've won 4-1 given how we've played and we're getting Mbah back, but MDA needs to show some balls and bench guys who are not performing and give others a shot. Black instead of Nene and Joe instead of Ryno or Green would've not been a crazy decision given their play in this series. Since he hasn't even tried this aside from a few minutes for Joe, I think his stubborn self will stick to 8-9 guys and Green / Ryno might be more limited with Mbah back.

kjayp and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I liked their ability to adjust to the Wolves ICE-ing the pick n roll.

I also liked the defensive rotations, especially in the second half of the last two games.

I liked that they were able to stay close with the Wolves in the first half last night despite them shooting 70% (7/10) from three and Harden+Paul struggling from the field.

6. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Rockets had a great series defensively besides that 2nd half in game 3 where they hit everything and attacked the paint. We didn’t shoot well in the series but that’s how it goes sometimes. We had wide open 3s and just missed them. Our defense didn’t allow the Wolves to get too ahead before our shots finally hit and obviously 4-1 is a great series win. 3 our of our 4 wins were also blowouts so in conclusion I give us an A-

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Capela - A-
    Harden - B-
    CP3 - B-
    Ariza - B
    Tucker - B-

Gordon - B-
    Green - B
    Ryno - B+
    Nene - C+
    Joe Johnson - F

Mike Dan Tony - B
    Jeff Biglydick - B+
    Greasy Keith Jones - F

Bill Worell / Clyde Drexler/ Matt bullard - D
    Reggie Miller - F
    Dorisk Burke - F

Max Kellerman - A-
    Colin Coward - F

I'm a harsh grader but whatevs

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

B+ simply because we can shoot 27% from 3 and still beat the 4th best offense in the league.

hakeem94 and Ketchup&Mustard like this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Solid B.

If we want to compare this team to a Championship squad we can't ignore the 6 garbage quarters of basketball. The team loses focus, starts games slow and don't start playing till the second half.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

ill give them a B. they have room for improvement but still played well enough to win. Defensively, they're on point at the start of the playoffs and thats a huge welcome sign for things to come as hou gets deeper

djperm and Jake Tower like this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

They won 4-1.

That's an A and also exactly how I thought it would play out.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Joe Chee outscored KAT in the 2nd half of Game 2. That deserves at least a B+.

SF3isBack!!, hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There were stretches where they gave little effort, so a B or B- is definitely warranted.

djperm likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not being negative, but I'm honestly not impressed, so I guess I'm trapped in the C zone. Plenty of individual positives, but as a whole functioning unit working together cohesively, on both ends, for a full 48 minutes - didn't seem up to par with a typical 65 win team against a 1st round opponent.

djperm and kjayp like this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would say the Rockets put their belts on at half time during game 4.

D meet B

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

It's hard to complain about a 4-1 series win. Even though they were an 8-seed, Minnesota has some good and talented players.

But here I am, complaining that the Rockets overall didn't look their best in this series. I guess that shows how spoiled I have become from watching how great the Rockets have been this regular season

#17 photojoe, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    banzai and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Minny is only 8 seed due to Butler getting hurt (against us ironically). People have forgotten how deadly their offense is when Butler is actually healthy. With gimpy Butler, they are around 5-6 seed.

saleem likes this.
  19. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

that game 3 50 point out burst by itself propels us to a B grade.. that was historic.. three blow outs.. what keeps them away from an A- is the loss and a blow out loss at that..

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They definitely did not play nearly as well as their best stretch of the season. Some flashes for sure, but didn't have a game where everything clicked. Guess game 5 was close to that.

Mostly concerned with the defensive slacking through significant portions of the game.