1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon: "We can’t isolate as much against a good defensive team. I don’t care who you are."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drogba, May 15, 2018.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At the beginning of the year that's what he could do though. Dude has been completely off the entire 2018 year.

2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He's nowhere near as bad as you think. Outside of Luc, Gordon is the only guy on our team that is quick enough to stay in front of guards and strong enough to hold his own against big men.

3. kevtse

kevtse Member

I dont understand why all the sudden we are playing McHale/JVG ball. We won 65 games with DAnotnio ball, why the change? I know during the season we also played many iso, but not this many!

cheke64 and Madeinchin4 like this.
  4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Still a better perimeter defender than harden and Green. EG is not a horrible defender. He is competent but I don’t think he should start.

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yes in the first few games of the year he did have a lot more explosion in his game and was attacking the basket well. But I still don’t think he should be someone you give the ball to and ask to create a shot for himself or someone else. He should be a secondary ball handler in a offense that has a lot of action if anything. I just get nervous anytime he has to dribble more than 4 times.

steddinotayto and smp like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Game plan was not fine. Those 24 second violations highlighted how they knew our comfort spots and delayed as much as possible to tire Harden or CP3 out. Last minute dishes partly wrecked the %ages on top of the blown gimmie layups and open threes.

We need some in game adjustments to make sure our role players get the shots they want and Clint becomes Red Lobster again.

Despite his quiet offensive night, Draymond had endless shrimp in Game 1.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And they have the defense to stop ours. We don't have the defense to stop theirs.

Again, it's not about ISO. It's about how your other guns can hurt the other teams. When they know you don't have anything else that you can throw at them, they can concentrate on stopping the one and only thing you know how to do well. They have other ways to score. We don't.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Bro this is what we have been doing all year... we haven’t played D’Antoni ball all year!

We were almost last in the league in pace and passes. We haven’t been playing 7 seconds or less at all. It’s been more like 18 seconds or more!

9. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

All we need is for guys to cut to be honest

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Agreed! We can’t be waiting so long to get a play started. And that’s been a complaint I have had with the Rockets for years now.

ISO ball or not you need to do something before there are just 12 seconds on the clock other than dribble. Run a screen, some cuts and then try and break them down 1 on 1 but we just dribble the air out of the ball until the last second and hope we hit a tough shot.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

D'Antoni ball works when you have good shooters. Look at our roster right now

Anderson: he's not only a liability on defense but his shot is gone

Gordon: he hasn't been the same player since December

Luc: injured and can't shoot

Tucker: inconsistent

Ariza: inconsistent

Green: inconsistent

The Rockets are trying to catch lightning in the bottle four times against GSW to beat them. If it were against any other team Houston would walk through the series unscathed.

I'm not saying the system they've been running is bad or needs to be changed bc it got us 60+ wins and it got us here. I think if our complementary 3&D players can hit shots for once we'll be ok.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

But it’s not D’Antoni ball as much as it’s moreyball. We don’t run like D’Antonis suns teams did. D’Antoni has just adopted the Rockets philosophy and preached it to the players. And that’s fine I believe In Moreyball honestly. But don’t act like we have been the suns running and getting up shots we have been walking the ball up the floor all year.

And I agree we just need our guys to hit their shots and we will be back in this thing. Almost everyone is shooting worse than they did suring the season and that’s killing us rightness now. But the whole idea of Moreyball is that it just has to work one more time than it doesn’t. Moreyball isn’t built to blow everyone out of the water it’s built to work 4 out of 7 times.

waytookrzy079 and jcf like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL. Now I am certain he's dead wrong.

He just needs to hit the shots he gets. This team got here because role players knew their roles and did their jobs.

Love EGo but he needs to do his damn job and play better D. If not, then package him in off season for another superstar.

14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

1. The warriors play great defense and they wont give you too many wide open shots.

2. Rockets are filled with inconsistent shooters. They brick wideopen again and again.

3. Besides Harden and Paul, we dont have good passers. More passes = more turnovers. Warriors will take advantage of those TOs to destroy us.

15. rocks123

rocks123 Member

But arent they supposed to do a seven seconds or less offense? That's not base on ball movement. It's based on getting on the best position to score ASAP. But i guess they already abandon that too.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I truly question what some of you were watching during the regular season.

Deuce, Vivi, YOLO and 4 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

This, this, this. Motion offense will take more than day and half to install.

It's not like adding pin down or off ball screen to free up a shooter.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Push the basketball and cut. Fundamentals

19. MyLateRegistration

We weren't last on pace.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

You're just saying the obvious here. This thread is specifically talking about him.

Gordon has the highest ceiling amongst the role players especially offensively. He needs to play better and do his part before even trying to look at anyone else.