1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Go Titans!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by TheFreak, Jan 8, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Can't route for the Titans. I might have if they would have taken their proper name "The Bublin Crude", but they didn't. If you realize how little Adams paid for the Oilers and how much they are now worth now, you realize Butt was just greedy. Just because you can double screw one city over another doesn't mean it is the city’s fault for not letting itself get screwed. LA may have finally figured this out in the days of public-corporate sponsorship, and the sports leagues are all in a tiffy about it. Granted politicians may have made the situation worse, but Butt Adams moved the team to make more dough, pure and simple, despite the fact it was fans in Houston and elsewhere that made it an unbelievably profitable deal for him. That's all you need to know about Butt. I guess it is starting to look like Drayton is the same way, and he got his damn stadium to boot.

BTW the Titans won't win next week, Boselli or no Boselli, Jags still have the best collection of weapons on both sides of the ball and a veteran QB and will win the whole thing (sorry Lams fans).

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Freak, what makes you so sure that if we had voted to build a new stadium for Butt Adams (nice one sir) that he still wouldn't have left? He promised he wouldn't leave if they took out the scoreboard to add more seats in the Astrodome, and guess what he did? I won't be surprised if the Titans are bad in a few years, he doesn't grumble about moving the team.

I really don't think that the Rockets and Oilers situations are the same. Despite Texans' idiotic views of outsiders (and vice versa), Houstonains and Alexander seem to like each other. Alexander has actually brought a championship to Houston, and has tried to improve the team year in and year out. If they let him go, they're stupid.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Looks like it's me and you freak, and Johnny Rocket.

McNair - Lot of people have been very critical of McNair, but if you ask me he's the most relaxed quarterback of the four. There's no pressure on him at all, and my gosh, he's won like 64% of his starts. Not too shabby. And no Turnovers. That's the key stat right there. He makes first downs and doesn't turn the ball over.

Wychek - Lately, teams have buckled down on him. I don't think he's going to get very open on Sunday. But that's ok. Just like last week, it should open things up for Sanders, Dyson, and Thigpen.

Sanders - I'd like to see him out there more. He's got the quickness to get open and he makes huge catches. I think he allows us to open the offense up...despite the fact he'll drop a pass or two.

George - What more can you say, but I think the Jags will limit him on sunday by putting seven men in the box. We'll need to throw the ball. As always.

Kearse - Quiet last week, but with Boselli out of commission he should make some playes or atleast set things up for the other interior defenders.

Hentrich - Huge last week. That guy has mastered the art of punting inside the 10.

TENN 27 JACKSONVILLE 23.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited January 19, 2000).]

4. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

TheFreak,

If I were still in Houston I would be upset with the new NFL deal too. Just because the current deal is a worse deal than Butt's doesn't mean Butt's was a good one. When cities can't repair dilapidated schools yet provide fat cat owners with public-funds so they can make even more money (Butt has already made an incredible profitable investment made that way because of fans in Houston and around the country), I have to question the politicians priorities. There is nothing wrong with making money, but holding cities hostage because other cities are willing to sell their souls is a game we should not be involved with. LA has figured this out, and others cities have shown some good signs too (SF has got new stadiums with primarily private funds, and Phoenix threw out their politicians who snookered them into bad sports deals too). The crux of the problem is the major sports leagues have monopolies (if you could let groups of citizens own teams--like GB, and let new teams freely enter the market it probably wouldn't be so bad), and such can extort money from the public.

Down with Nashville and the Ti-tets.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm with Smokey all the way.

Clutch -

I'm not sure who I'll root for. Since I don't live in Houston anymore, the attachment just isn't there.

Part of me is going to want the Titans to beat the crap out of Houston every time they play....it's those apathetic 'fans' and city that lost the team I cared about. Who in Houston is going to go see this new team play anyway? They couldn't even sell out the Dome when the Oilers always had one of the best teams in the league every year....Randall's had to buy up the remaining tickets every week just so the game could be televised. The Astros have consistently had one of the best records in the league the entire decade yet draw nothing at the gate. Don't forget about the Rockets 2nd Round series opener against Phoenix in '94.....only 14,000+ in attendance. That's just sickening. Houston really doesn't deserve any teams.

Sir -

How would the city have been screwed over? They're paying much more for an expansion team than they would have for the Oilers. That makes no sense. The only screwing going on was the Oilers getting screwed by the city, just like they screwed over the Rockets in the arena vote. Who cares if Bud just wanted money? Everybody wants money. The bottom line is the city is paying more now than they would have for Bud. I don't see the logic in losing a football team to spite an old man who'll soon be dead. Houston just sucks.

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited January 19, 2000).]

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Root for Bud's Tennessee Traitors?

Never!

But I am happy for the old-time players who were Oilers, like Bruce Matthews.

RM95 took the words out of my mouth when he said Earl Campbell was his hero. Right on!

Remember folks, this team still has the toupee-touting hooker-chaser as their owner. The team still has Oiler blue in their blood.

That is why they will lose to Jacksonville this Sunday. Probably on a couple of blown calls by the referee and a last second TD drive by Mark Brunell.

Mark my words...this franchise is still cursed!

------------------
    Bring It!!

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Anyone who likes the Titans unis has to love the Rockets' unis. [​IMG]

Don't like Bud Adams... but I like the team themselves.... I'm rooting for them oddly enough.

------------------
    Proud Father of the Rockets' future point guard.

8. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Damn straight. Titans RULE. I loved them when they were the Oilers and I love them even more as the Titans. They have the best Uniforms in the NFL. No doubt about it. Plus this is a young team for the most part. As many of you I do not care for Bud Adams. But I am pulling for the Titans all the way.

Also interesting to see the Houston Chronicle poll. From the people that took the poll most Houston fans were pulling for the Titans. Interesting.

Well I hope they can pull another win out against Jacksonville. That will be a great game. Go Titans!!!

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited January 22, 2000).]

9. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

[​IMG]I agree w/ Dream34 The Titans Uniforms Rock!!!! [​IMG]
    Can't wait for the game tomorow I think the Titans can pull out another win against the Jags. When the new Houston team begins playing I will like the NFL 2002 team the most but not much more then I will like the Titans.

------------------
    ~John~
    Rockets I Want Back In Clutch City: Mario "Junk Yard Dog" Elie and Sam my man Cassell.
    Fav. Quote: "We Want Scottie Back.....Scottie Brooks That Is" ~Off of A Banner at the game.

[This message has been edited by Johny Rocket (edited January 22, 2000).]

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It will be so awesome if the Titans make it to the Super Bowl. I know that ABC will do stories from Houston about how the Oilers skipped town after Houston's mentally r****ded and geezer mayor got into an ego war with Bud. Bob Lanier is the devil himself. Bud brought football to Houston. Bud did a lot for the city. Sure he did his share of crap basically threatning to move the team but Houston really did need a new stadium. Why are the Astros getting what they want and the Oilers weren't? The Astros haven't been to any world series. The Oilers/Titans are on the brink of their first AFC championship. I'm so proud to be an Titans fan. The Rockets have won the city's only pro championships and they get no respect. The Rockets need a new arena. I'm glad we got an expansion franchise. I hope the Titans beat the crap out of the Houston team.

11. reddog

reddog New Member

After that Buffalo game how can you not root for the TITANS? I'm happy for the team and coaching staff! To hell with bud adams, that doulble-nitt suit wearing,oily headed,fat PUKE!!!!

12. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Irregardless of outcome of todays game. Yes, I will still be a Titans fan!!! I think the Titans will be making alot of noise for years to come. I mean they have done a wonderful job in the drafts. I mean they stole both Eddie George and Jevon Kerse with a mid first round picks. I think they have a sound head coach. They have fans that are behind them. I mean Adelphia Coliseum has already been stated as one of the loudest (if not the loudest in the NFL). I think they have a young QB who should develop over time.

I think the Titans will be the cream of the NFL crop for years to come.

13. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Bud We Still Don't Like You But Congradulations on Going To The SuperBowl. <H2>GO OILERS!!!!!</H2> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Johny Rocket (edited January 23, 2000).]

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Things of interest about Tenn game...that I noted.

-Jacksonville was all over our play action pass roll out. It was like they knew it was coming. McNair was able to get away, but every time he turned around after the fake, a Jag was right ther to try and take him out.

-Why did Jax only rush three people on passing downs? McNair could have run for about 200 yards if he had wanted to. They were lucky he didn't take off a couple of times in the first half.

-Kearse was manhandled again. He's being shut down now. The pitch on the fumble recovery wasn't smart because he was being tackled, but it should have been handled for a TD.

-We cam out passing. Stunning, huh. What's up with that? And it worked to a degree.

-We've never returned kickoffs for T.D.'s. Not in my lifetime. We've been horrible. Even having Tight ends return them for a couple of years. And now, all of the sudden, it's like we can't be stopped. Something changed overnight for the kick return teams. Go Figure. They've been huge.

-And on a side note, How about the decision to sit McNair for two years before letting him play. I think a lot of people have forgotten about that, and now, it looks like it's all paid off. McNair is the most relaxed QB I've ever seen. Even when he misses throws they never appear to be ill-advised. Just way off target.

15. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Boy I was wrong about the Oilers-JV game. The Oilers showed a ton of grit not just this week but the last two (they were quite lucky the Bill's special teams coach is an idiot). But atleast I was not as wrong as Bill Walsh was about the Rams-Bucs game, who said the Rams could name the score (e.g., 50-6). If Bill Walsh can be so wrong about a sport he has been in all his life (and excelled, and been called a genious, and....), the rest of us should be pretty darned humble about our predictions.

16. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I hate Bud Adams as much as he rest of you BUT I really like most the Oilers and have met and had more than one conversation with quite a few. I am very happy for guys like Steve McNair, Eddie George, Bruce Matthews, and Floy. (Old Oiler insiders will know who I'm talking about.) I am sad that guys like Ernest Givens, Haywood Jeffries, and others did not get this chance when they played. And if you are wondering if I feel bad for Warren Moon, the answer is NO. (Don't get me started, I hate his guts.)
    So Huzzah and Kudos to The Titan players. Mr. Adams, I wouldn't give you the sweat off of my ...

------------------
    There can be only one...

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

In case you guys didn't know this .... one site already is talking Houston football... houstonprofootball.com -- very cool site. Watching the Titans is interesting to me but personally I'm waiting for the new team ...

18. JaceMan da SpaceMan

**** you

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I love the fact that my #2 snatched their Super Bowl hopes from their hearts.

Go Rams!

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯