1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Go get Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's a remarkably narrow view; you can absolutely find excellent value in rounds 2+ of the draft.

Do you wish they had kept Brandon Brooks? Ben Jones? Do you wish Derek Newton had been able to stay healthy? None were first round picks.

They aren't very good at *coaching* them; evaluating?... I'm not sure.

And they're going to be flush with cash, even if they pay Peterson. They could sign multiple OL and have significant cap room left over. Money isn't a concern...

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Liked Obi coming out of UConn. Wonder what happened...I know he had injuries rookie season

HstnSprtsFan101 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Gruden happened

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

You're listing players drafted by the previous regime. None of the good offensive linemen the Texans have drafted were ever brought in under O'brien.

Under O'brien the Texans have drafted 5 linemen. That list includes Xavier Sua'Filo, Nick Martin, Julien Davenport, Kyle Fuller, and Martinas Rankin. Of those, the only player that has been even serviceable is Nick Martin, and he's starting to look like just a guy instead of this 10yr entrenched vet people though he would become. Sua'Filo was a defacto 1st rd pick and my god did they blow that. Davenport is trash and I have no faith in him to be anything other than that. Rankin could be something inside, but you can't count on it. Not under O'brien, who hasn't shown the ability to either develop or even at least put together a good blocking scheme. Hell, He hasn't shown the ability to hire good coaches on the offensive side. Devlin is garbage.

So as far as evaluating, I'm pretty much spot on. They over reach and draft guys with "traits" they like, that also lack the talent necessary to use those attributes they so covet. That's why I have no faith in them finding anything in later rounds. Kubiak understood line play to a T and knew exactly what type of players he could plug in to his scheme that would fit. He was damn good at it. And while I had my issue with Rick Smith, he was pretty adept at finding offensive linemen for Kubes.

Of course I would have wanted them to keep Brandon Brooks, Jones, and Newton was a solid RT when he was healthy, dude could move in the run game. They wanted to get longer, taller, and "stronger" under O'brien. All they got was big, dumb, and slow. All 3 guys you listed would still be starters on this line.

As far as the cap space they'll have, sure they can over spend and get a tackle or two in FA. But typically, good tackles and guards don't hit FA. Look at Solder in NY. Everyone was clamoring for him when the Patriots showed no interest in signing him, and he's a turnstile right now for the Giants. I was even wanting the Texans to sign him, but I should have remember the one true rule about any Patriot FA. If Belichick doesn't care that he's walking, then you should have some very large reservations about what that player is still capable of.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

With Peterson off the table, how about Chris Harris from Denver?

Fulgore likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

what about Phillip gaines of the Bills for a future 5th? Smart. Physical. He's all about the H-town. Military family, discipline.

Raiders, what do they have?

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

Dominique Rodgers Cromartie retires. Should the Texans sign him?

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What? Sign someone who’s retiring?

9. mario_v

mario_v Member

He probably just doesn't want to play for the raiders, but maybe he'll change his mind and sign with the Texans?

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Raiders would sill have his rights

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

He got injured again and was put on IR

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Weren't there also questions about how much he really loved football?

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Wonder if the Texans could get Bouye back in the offseason.

He has a $15M cal hit with $4M guaranteed. Jags already over the cap for next season.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

That would be awesome. Bouye,Badger,Kareem and Reid.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Man... I have no idea if he truly available - but I thought the Texans should've forced Arizona to make him available and boy, not to blow my own horn - but was that ever prescient, given how much the secondary regressed. (Not that I was the only advocating for a deal.)

I still think he's worth a #1 and I'd still do that deal in a heartbeat.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Buy the dip!!

20. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

No wonder JJ Watt and he are so close.