1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giving Trump The Significant Finger

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Jun 7, 2018.

1. adoo

adoo Member

Obama delivers full-throated rebuke of Trump's presidency

In a rare public address, in a University of Illinois auditorium ,Obama says
    Trump poses such a threat to America that it forced him to speak out.

There was nothing subtle about the speech. He slammed Trump’s policies on everything from the environment to
    veterans affairs to the negligent response to hurricane recovery in Puerto Rico, as well as the dotard cozying up to Putin,
    calling them a mismanagement of government, but also morally wrong.

"I’m here today because this is one of those pivotal moments when every one of us as citizens of the United States need to determine just who we are, what it is that we stand for," Obama said. "As a fellow citizen, not as an ex-president, I’m here to deliver a simple message, which is that you need to vote, because our democracy depends on it."

“Over the past two decades … the politics of division and resentment and paranoia has unfortunately found a home in the Republican Party.” “It did not start with Donald Trump. He is a symptom, not the cause,” Obama said to applause. “He’s just capitalizing on resentments that politicians have been fanning for years.”

It’s not just about Trump, Obama said. It’s about Republicans “who know better in Congress … bending over backwards to shield” Trump. They’re hypocrites, he said, and they’re just as dangerous to America. At times mocking them and at times laying into them, Obama said they’ve abandoned all that they’re supposed to stand for as Republicans, and as citizens of this country.

"None of this is conservative. I don't mean to pretend I'm channeling Lincoln now, but that's not what he had in mind, I don't think when he formed the Republican Party. It sure isn't normal. It's radical. It's a vision that says our protection of our power is all that matters,” Obama said. https://www.politico.com/story/2018...has-pushed-america-to-a-pivotal-moment-810650

Next up for Obama is a Saturday rally in California for Democrats looking to take Republican-held House seats. He will re-visit California in a couple of weeks. there 25 such congressional races in uber-blue Calif;

#41 adoo, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    DreamShook and No Worries like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

In response to the dotard's threat of using the DoJ to investigate the NYT, regarding the anonymous Op / Ed, the NYT offers this

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

DreamShook likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't know if Obama was out of practice, but for a "full-throated" rebuke I wasn't feeling the electricity. Obama should have talked about his accomplishments more when he was in office. I hope Obama doesn't give any energy to the establishment Dems, He did shout out some progressives in his speech. I'm afraid this will give fuel to Trump; he is good at using this stuff to his benefit.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I kind of wished I had the time back that I spent listening to some of that. Too much bitter beer face pausing and looking around -- I think that's what short-circuited any sparks, for me at least. Could have been a whole lot shorter and just kept to the main message: vote, it's never been so important for all American citizens to get out and let politicians know what they think.

I didn't need him to retell the financial crisis, etc., but I guess I'm an old guy compared to his college audience.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would stop worrying about whether or not Obama gives the Trumpkins any talking points or not, and focus on if he helps turn out the base or not,

I don’t think he hurts. The people who snark at Obama (the Boobythenotsogreat types who say they didn’t vote for Trump) are voting with Trump regardless.

Dems don’t need to do things to think they are suppressing votes on the other side. That’s only an argument for the other side. Turn out our base, and it’s a no-brainer.

8. adoo

adoo Member

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...s-repudiate-trump-tweets-on-maria-deaths.html

Florida Republicans, including Gov Scott and Gubernatorial Candidate DeSantis--- Repudiate Trump's Lie on Puerto Rico's Death Toll

“Mr. President. SHUT UP,” Alan Levine, a Republican appointed by Gov. Rick Scott — a top Trump ally — to Florida’s university governing board, replied on Twitter.

“Any death, whether one or 3,000 is a tragedy. That doesn’t mean you caused it, and its not about you. Show compassion for the families,” Levine wrote. “Learn what we can so future response can improve. Honestly….”

There is no way Ron DeSantis would be the GOP nominee for governor without the early and avid support he received from Trump. Yet he’s basically calling his supreme benefactor a liar here. His spokesman has issued this statement

“Ron DeSantis is committed to standing with the Puerto Rican community, especially
    after such a tragic loss of life,” “He doesn’t believe any loss of life has been inflated.
    Ron is focused on continuing to help our Puerto Rican neighbors recover and create opportunities for those who have moved to Florida succeed.”
    That’s how explosive this issue could be in Florida.

foh likes this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

The pantheon of investing includes multi-billionaires Warren Buffett and Seth Klaman,
    2 of the biggest beneficiaries of Trump's tax cut for the uber rich

Two years ago, Seth Klarman was the biggest donor to the Republican Party in New England. According to The Boston Globe, during the Obama administration, the F.E.C. filings show that Klarman gave more than $7 million to the party.

The new F.E.C. filings that will come out on Sept. 20 will show that Mr. Klarman is now giving almost exclusively Democrats — and donating far more money than he ever has.

The loner Klaman came out of his shell to be interviewed by the Globe;

"....I’m not a Democrat,.........democracy is at stake......... We need to turn the House and Senate as a check on Donald Trump
    and his runaway presidency

And maybe I’ll be able to convince some other people of that and get them to support Democrats in 2018.”

#49 adoo, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

on the day after his former campaign Chairman Manafort had plead guilty and willingness to cooperate w team Mueller,

Traitor Trump ordered the declassification of sensitive documents related to the investigation into Russian election interference---including the FISA warrant for Carter Page---a move that could eventually allow the public unprecedented access to a probe that he has repeatedly railed against. https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...application-related-to-carter-page-1537220786
    this willful disregard for the rule of law engenders this FU from Congressman Adam Schiff via Tweeterm https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...to-have-russia-related-documents-declassified

“President Trump, in a clear abuse of power, has decided to intervene in a pending law enforcement investigation by ordering the selective release of materials he believes are helpful to his defense team and thinks will advance a false narrative,”

“With respect to some of these materials, I have been previously informed by the FBI and Justice Department that they would consider their release a red line that must not be crossed as they may compromise sources and methods,” Schiff added. “This is evidently of no consequence to a President who cares about nothing about the country and everything about his narrow self-interest.”​

No Worries likes this.
  12. adoo

adoo Member

Federal judge: Congressional Democrats can sue Trump over emoluments

A lawsuit filed by 200 congressional Democrats alleging President Trump is violating the Constitution by accepting payments from foreign governments can move forward, a federal judge ruled Friday.

The Constitution’s emoluments clause prohibits presidents from receiving payments from foreign governments,
    without congressional approval, and was meant to prevent corruption and foreign influence.​

Trump’s hotel in DC just blocks away from the White House has hosted events for foreign governments and visiting officials while he’s been in office.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

This dude here has been raping America since he has been in office.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

How so? I really would like an answer on that one.

Economy is doing pretty well. A huge threat in NK has calmed down among other things in regards to National security.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The economy is not "doing pretty well"

Taking out huge loans for tax breaks has robbed us of our last tool to help counter a strong recession.

The next economic crisis is going to be catastrophic

edwardc likes this.
  16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This is what makes me LOL.

Liberals claim the economy being healthy under Trump was due to Obama and his policies beforehand.

But if its doing bad, its DJT.

Pick one and stick with it.

RocketsLegend likes this.
  17. edwardc

edwardc Member

NK is still a threat and as you stated in another post most of the what has been done with the economy is because of Obama
    45 has given the richest people a huge tax break which has put more on the middle class when he claimed that those break would create more wealth for the middle class it hasn't.

18. B-Bob

If you read his post, it had nothing to do w your response. To reset: a hugely debt-financed tax cut for rich people has made us very, very vulnerable to the next natural or unnatural downturn. But that's not even open to debate.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes it is if you look at the growth of tax revs over the past few years. The issue is spending not the cuts.

20. B-Bob

So did the stimulus help us out of the last major downturn? Want to trace what the U.K. did over the last 10 yrs w an austerity response? Ain't pretty.

You may know this realm much better than I , but do we not want spending as an ace in the hole? A lever when needed?