1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Springer's Ceiling

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Springer has spotted him nearly a 30 WAR lead through their 25-year-old seasons. Now if we are just talking the amount of WAR between now and the end of their careers...that's possible and basically only slightly better than Hunter Pence (~6 WAR).

2. raj87

raj87 Member

He certainly reminded me of Dave Winfield when he hit that stand up triple against the Brewers. Corey Snyder is a more realistic comp, however.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what? Corey Snyder as a comp for what? He was worse than current Springer...and definitely worse than Springer's ceiling.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He fell of dramatically that last season in ATL, then was the worst player in the game after signing a 2 year deal with the Dodgers. He then became a journeyman quality backup for a few years. His fall was definitely fast and why he was still at a reasonable age.

5. raj87

raj87 Member

Let me clarify: Corey Snyder as a player with similar potential. Snyder was an elite prospect in the 80's. Selected 4th overall with a cannon for an arm, he was a true five tool guy. I am definitely not referring to his production.

6. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Should we be worried? I mean he's still relatively young but he just doesn't seem right like how he was before the injury last year.

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said in the game thread he up to this point is overrated. Nothing close to his hype coming out of the minors. He's a solid player but nothing special. People may need to start lowering their expectations of him.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Surprised nobody has added the customary "are we concerned" to the thread title...

So much knee jerk... It's game 8.

1 person likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you thought Springer was merely solid and nothing special last season, you are flat out wrong. Springer by team performance and by WAR was extremely valuable. He hasn't been elite, but if that was your expectations you were assured of likely disappointment.

If you are basing that on his inability to stay healthy, OK, but he has been an extremely good player when he has been on the field. I think the team expectations are driving peoplecrazy.

10. msn

msn Member

/thread

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Carlos Beltran

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Domed. These ceilings are most often implemented into large, grand homes and mimic the circular dome of an ancient church or government building. Sometimes, the dome is capped with a skylight or stained glass oculus to let in natural light and add greater dimension to the ceiling.

13. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of people may have forgotten in the off season there were reports that the organization was considering trading Springer. Does an organization consider trading one of their cornerstone players? Not likely. I'm sure the organization was looking for a big time return and it would have been pretty dumb to just give him away but they did consider trading him. If I'm not mistaken I believe the organization was trying to solidify pitching by fielding offers for Springer but couldn't get the right offers. Look, I like Springer and think he helps this team. I just feel many tend to have overrated him up to this point.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What credible reports were there that Houston was shopping Springer? I seriously doubt that happened, and if it did it would have been to trade him for an ace (Fernandez, Kluber, Carrasco, etc.)

15. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I believe Carrasco was the rumored pitcher in trade talks. Drelich the team's beat writer was one of the guys reporting on this in the off season.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No kidding. People have forgotten the amount of patience that is required over the course of a season. Springer started slow each of the last two seasons before picking it up and hitting at a very high level. I think the ceiling is still very high but even in his current form he is a premium talent IMO. Not elite by any means but nothing to write off.

Look at his May/June/Sept last year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=springe01&year=2015&t=b#month

~.285 avg, 13 HR, 28 RBI, ~.870 OPS

I think 25 HR is realistic over the course of a healthy season, and that's around top 20 OPS. I would expect those numbers to strengthen with more time ahead of Correa and with our stronger lineup in general.

17. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think Springer should be untouchable on this team. This guy can play cf, actually, he is a cfer. Imagine his numbers as a cfer.

Actually, he would be top 5 cfer in the league.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Astros were 57-45 with him last year; 29-31 without him. That might be overstating his impact - but he undoubtedly makes the team better. If they were truly shopping him, it was almost certainly for an ace-level pitcher, which also speaks to his value.

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Top 5 cfers:

1. Trout
    2. McCutchen
    3. Pollock
    4. Springer
    5. Jones

20. Buck Turgidson

If there aren't flying buttresses I'm not interested.