1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garrison Keillor Fired from Minnesota Public Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 29, 2017.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Over alleged improprieties. I haven't heard what exactly those charges are. Also for the thing Keillor is most famous for Prairie Home Companion. He stepped down from that two years ago and it will continue but will be renamed. Minnesota Public Radio will no longer rebroadcast old episodes with Keillor.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...er-behavior-minnesota-public-radio/905491001/

Garrison Keillor fired for alleged 'inappropriate behavior' by Minnesota Public Radio
    Veteran radio host and writer Garrison Keillor confirmed Wednesday that he was fired by his longtime broadcast home, Minnesota Public Radio, over accusations of improper behavior.

After confirming the news in an email to the Associated Press, Keillor issued a follow-up statement saying he was terminated over “a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard.” However, he did not elaborate.

MPR issued a statement on its website Wednesday announcing it would “end its business relationship with Keillor’s media companies effective immediately.” That includes ending distribution and broadcast of The Writer's Almanac, a daily syndicated program that Keillor continued to write and produce, in addition to rebroadcasts of The Best of A Prairie Home Companion.

They also noted that Prairie Home Companion itself, which is now hosted by Chris Thile, will get a new title.

In the statement, MPR President Jon McTaggart acknowledged, "Garrison Keillor has been an important part of the growth and success of MPR, and all of us in the MPR community are saddened by these circumstances. While we appreciate the contributions Garrison has made to MPR and to all of public radio, we believe this decision is the right thing to do and is necessary to continue to earn the trust of our audiences, employees and supporters of our public service."

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Let's work out the new name!

Prairie Human Resources.

Creepy Man Companion.

edit: interesting that he's been calling some of the Franken criticism absurd recently. Always disliked his smug, smarmy radio persona and the loud nasal breathing on air.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is all getting extremely weird. Like B-Bob, I had never been a huge fan of the fellow while he was on the radio, but certainly listened to the program from time to time. The list of those apparently accused of sexual impropriety continues to grow.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently, all the rest of you have been whipping your junk out and grabbing women by the p***y for years while I've been behaving myself.

Did I miss a memo or something?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm curious what the improprieties are. I suppose MPR doesn't feel they owe their audience this information?

6. B-Bob

I hope they deliver a report in vintage Prairie Home Style, with home-made sound effects in the background and an excruciatingly slow, halting delivery, full of supposed gravitas.

No Worries and durvasa like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Let's hope that a bath robe was not involved.

Nook and durvasa like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Probably because you've been staring at the stars too much, giving us reports of asteroids and new planets and such...all about the geek life.

Pretty Horny Companion

Or ...
    ||
    vv

Lake Robegon Daze

#8 heypartner, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Nook and No Worries like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dang. I used to listen to his readings as a kid.

http://www.garrisonkeillor.com/index.html

I am deeply grateful for all the years I had doing "A Prairie Home Companion" and "The Writer's Almanac", the summer tours, the outdoor shows at Tanglewood and Wolf Trap, the friendships of musicians and actors, the saga of Lake Wobegon, the songs and sketches, Guy Noir, Dusty & Lefty, the sheer pleasure of standing in the warmth of that audience. A person could not hope for more than what I was given. I've been fired over a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard. Most stories are. It's some sort of poetic irony to be knocked off the air by a story, having told so many of them myself, but I'm 75 and don't have any interest in arguing about this. And I cannot in conscience bring danger to a great organization I've worked hard for since 1969. I am sorry for all the poets whose work I won't be reading on the radio and sorry for the people who will lose work on account of this. But my profound feeling is that of gratitude, especially to my wife Jenny, and for this painful experience that has brought us even closer together.
    — Garrison Keillor

B-Bob likes this.
  10. B-Bob

I am hearing third hand that:
    1. At a social event he was resting his hand on a woman's lower back. She bent over to pick something up and his hand got under her shirt and moved up her back a bit.
    2. She was freaked out and eventually talked to him about it.
    3. They had, according to him, a good frank conversation. He'd had no idea he'd done something that felt naughty. They were good and were still work friends for a good long while.

I dunno. It doesn't seem like part of a pattern, but his attitude is pretty good. I'm done with this. So long and thanks for all the airtime. EDIT: I just wish he had done it sooner, and apparently, so does at least one of his coworkers.

#10 B-Bob, Nov 29, 2017
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

You have a strange way of looking at these things. "Not-exactly-very-guilty"? Really? I mean, I've never accidentally found my hand in a woman's shirt. Have you? He was just resting his hand on her lower back? Really? Look, If I have my hand inside a woman's shirt it's 100% on purpose.

C'Mon man.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Never heard of him and never cared for any show about prairies.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Old guys get handsy. They need to adapt.

14. B-Bob

I hear you. I don't know what the hell he was doing. He's definitely guilty of making a coworker uncomfortable. It just doesn't seem like assault as with some of these mofos, and it doesn't seem like a pattern.

If it's strange that I see differences between the wide range of allegations against these dudes, okay. I see rape and assault as worse and more harmful than some of these other things, but that might be strange to some.

Mainly I wanted to come on here to make fun of his show and whatever its new name will be. But then I heard through Mrs. B-Bob about the report she heard of the incident, so I shared it.

#14 B-Bob, Nov 29, 2017
  15. B-Bob

Or just resign ASAP.

#15 B-Bob, Nov 29, 2017
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Nothing get's the taste of shame and humiliation out of your mouth like a big slice of rhubarb pie.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will give credit to Minnesota Public Radio (MPR). They are thorough. I was looking up "Rhubarb Pie Prairie Home Companion" and all of the MPR Prairie Home Companion pages had been taken down already.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If all of this was in regards to a single incident which can easily have been an inadvertent slip of the hand, it is a shameful overreaction. I’ve appreciated MPR in my two years as a new resident of MN, but if this is what it appears to be than I’m really disappointed.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

MPR has been pretty good about investigative journalism. I don't know for sure but I get the feeling there is much more to this story than just what Keillor is saying. I don't know if there are legal reasons or others why MPR isn't detailing what happened that caused them to decide to cut ties with Keillor. A friend of mine pointed out that you wouldn't cut ties and that thoroughly with someone who had made so much money for you without very good reason.

20. B-Bob

It may well be out of respect for his long service to and work for public broadcasting. They're not going to try to embarrass him, and if people criticize them for a quick trigger, so be it. That's my guess. Also, if she is suing, she may be suing both Keillor and also MPR. Then they'd have extra reason to be quiet about this.