1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gammons] reporting Griffey to Astros trade talk happening

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by fya, Mar 21, 2005.

1. fya

fya Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2018385

"•Cincinnati is calling around in an attempt to acquire pitching. There are the rumors of the Mets and Nationals' being interested in acquiring Willy Mo Pena. The Reds also told the Astros they would move Junior Griffey to Houston – for four top prospects.

•The 'Stros right now plan to open the season with Willy Taveras in center field and Craig Biggio at second base, which means Chris Burke will either go back to the minors or stay in the majors as a utilityman/left fielder."

It was talked about on ESPN radio, but it's probably b.s

Griffey is always on the dl, but if the prospects included:

Redding/duckworth, Palmeiro, Burba and Windell

then do it! :) :) :) :)

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Rofl, 4 top prospects. They'd be lucky to get someone to take Griffey's contract on period, with no return of players.

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The Reds would be fools if they traded Wily Mo Pena. That guy has the ability to hit 40+ homers and drive in 100+ runs.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DMc has reportedly been a Junior fan. Burke and Redding and two Class A players ??? Why not?

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'd do it, if he was insured. ;)

This was also in the article:

The Astros' fifth-starter battle seems to be between Brandon Duckworth and Tim Redding, who are both out of options, but if 25-year-old righty Ezequiel Astacio keeps pitching well he may fill the spot. If Duckworth or Redding doesn't grab the spot, Astacio could go to Triple-A New Orleans for a couple of starts, then be ready when the Astros need a fifth starter sometime after the first week of the regular season.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Because Griffey's constantly hurt, missed 50+ games annually, and is a shell of the player he used to be when on the field. Oh, and he makes 9 mil a year.

7. fya

fya Member

Isn't willy mo a boras client?

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Is Griffey really that that bad, sans injuries? I seem to remember him having a good years pre-injury.. of course I haven't even peeped at statistics. I would love to bring him to town, long as it doesn't cost us too much.

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Hell no. The chance of injury is too much.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he costs about $9 million/season. that's not outrageous, if he produces....but you'd probably want Cincy to bite off some of that figure to make it easier. not sure a club like Cincy would be willing and/or able to do that. i think they're looking for the salary dump.

in about 300 ABs last season (his most since 2001) he hit under .260 with an OBP of around .350, slugging around .513 with 60 RBI and 67 strikeouts. He stole 1 base.

#10 MadMax, Mar 21, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

lol. This is 34 year old griffey, not 24 year old Griffey, right?

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Four top prospects for a 35 year old who hasn't had a 500 AB season since 2000? HELL NO!

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't think he can make it a season without missing a lot of games due to injury so I don't think this would be good for us. I would rather go with the younger guys until something better comes along. If the Astros do this deal, then it better weigh in our favor. If it involves trading Redding and/or Duckworth, then be my guest. :)

14. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd do it. This team needs some hope. Griffey gives it to us. We need something to hang a hat on.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

"4 top prospects" AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

IMO, there is not a chance in hell they would get any of our top prospects. The only contstant with him the last couple years has been injuries and a high contract. Didn't Griffey get one of his *many* injuries trying to get to a ball at MMP? Imagine his old creeky knees trying to hold up in one of the biggest centerfields in the league. One of his knees will explode and money will come out of it like a pinata.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then what do we do if it doesn't work out?

We have the first new young crop of players poised to get significant playing time in many years. While it sucks that we're not as good as we have been in the past on paper, this time in Astros baseball history is not an unexciting one for an Astros baseball fan.

That being said, I'd be willing to look at Ken Griffey, Jr. as a possible answer to our CF question. Of course, the Reds are kidding themselves if they think anyone will give them four good prospects right now. I'm guessing they'll either give him up for far less than that or hedge their bets that he'll stay healthy and be productive to move him closer to the trading deadline.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Salary dump. They would be lucky to get a low A prospect with a fake birth certificate.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

unless the 4 prospects are me and the 3 guys who just posted before me, then no.

if they bring their demands down a LOT then griffey could be intriguing. but i still don't see any way he stays healthy so i'll pass.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Nice one! LOL

Haha. :D

Hey, I can still play. Look out.

Good times.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

Let's just think about this what if he doe's remain healthy the outfield would be much stronger a little faster with more power.Lane, berkman and,Griffey would put the astros in a much better in the offensive and defensive side of the game.