1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gammons: McLane gives go-ahead to add to payroll

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by desihooper, Jul 13, 2003.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'll believe it when it happens

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The way we are playing right now, I don't know if we need to change anything. I think this team will be fine once we get our starters healthy.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Cory Lidle, Ted Lilly or Kris Benson seem to be available. Some other starters should also become available after the All-Star break. Look for the Stros to land a decent starter. The Hun is fine GM when it comes to trades.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

And the Rockets promised us a great logo. But you know how it goes :)

6. desihooper

Supporting Member

The crowds have picked up over the past homestand. We have one homestand left before the end of the month, it's a weekend series against the Cubs, that should draw well also. In August we play 18 of our 28 games at home including a 12-game homestand to conclude the month (3 game sets with the Cubs, Reds, Dodgers, Padres) Picking up another piece to stick into our rotation might entice more people to come out and watch the team as it finishes up. The team that makes the deal to improve themselves the most out of the Astros, Cardinals, and Cubs may distance themselves from the rest in this division. Putting a winning team on the field is a proven way to get AIS in Houston, remember, we're in first place. If McLane steps up and commits to "Being a Champion" he could reap a double benefit, more money at the gates and another banner to hang (affix?) in Minute Maid.

I tend to think that we'll be hearing the following line, "we added an MVP-type player and a Cy-Young caliber pitcher to our roster in Kent and Oswalt. We're hoping Miller can return to form and the three of these guys can carry us to the finish."

Maybe they'll add another arm in the bully to bridge the gap to Lidge, Dotel, and Wagner. That way, you make it a 5 inning game and go with your four hammers after that. It's a little unconventional, but it may make economic sense for the mid-market Astros.

Biggio
    Ensberg/Blum
    Bagwell
    Berkman
    Kent
    Hidalgo
    Ausmus
    Everett

Oswalt
    Miller
    (insert new pitcher here: Benson, Ponson, Lidle, etc.)
    Robertson
    Vallone

6th-9th innings
    Redding
    Lidge
    Dotel
    Wagner

might just be the recipe for second half success for the Astros

7. BALLhog 247 365

the astros also need a right handed hitter coming off the bench...our bench is full of left/switch hitting batters. seeing brian hunter be our only option against a left hander last night doesnt make me happy...

8. BALLhog 247 365

kris benson is consistently inconsistent, so i dont think he would be what the astros need. i think ponson is the astros best option...

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Colon would be a nice addition to the team but I know McClane wouldn't want to take on his contract.

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

No way we drop Redding from the rotation. Villone proved to be invaluable two years ago with his versitility out of the pen or starting. He would be the candidate to get moved should we acquire another SP.

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

As evidenced by todays performance (6 1/3 IP 0 Runs) I agree in that Redding is best used as a starter.

Villone will prove to be more ammo for the bullpen.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Behad- Redding had a very good start today, but I wouldn't say no way. Frankly, the guy just scares me when it comes to him starting games in September or perhaps October. There are very few pitchers in the majors that get as rattled as he does if he runs into trouble. He no doubt has great stuff, and I wouldn't mind seeing him make a move to the pen a la Dotel, but I'd agree Villone goes to the pen before he does.

The names out there are Ponson, Benson, Lilly, and Lidle. Depending on the $$, perhaps we'd take a peek at Weaver. Odalis Perez is apparently out there, but the Dodgers are looking for a big bat, and we can't afford to move Hidalgo at this point, so a 3 way would be necessary to bring Perez to Houston.

I'd pass on Lilly, because he seems like a lefty version of Redding-prone to mental blowups. Benson, Ponson, and Lidle are pretty much a pick 'em IMO, though I think Benson has the most talent (and most recent arm troubles). If the CWS decide to trade any of their pitchers, I'd prefer Buerhle because young, stud lefties are the hardest to get. Another guy that might become available is Javier Vazquez, who would be the #1 guy to get IMO.

It'll be interesting to see what it takes to acquire these pitchers. Since Drayton has apparently given the go ahead, it means we'd take on the salary which lessens the cost in terms of prospects. I'd guess the guys teams will be looking at are Whiteman, Buck, Lane, Rosario, and Burke. IMO, Burke is the only untouchable (and of course, Lidge and Robertson should be no ways) on that list.

Could this be the prospective owner (Tillman Fertita) that was rumored a few days ago telling Drayton that he wants the team to be good when he takes over?

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Get Kris Benson please.

The pirates are just mishandling him and he would flourish as an astro, and is young.

Avoid a rental like colon unless we have no other options. But buerhle is intriguing and I definitely like vasquez and lilly(though the a's only will trade him for a big bat in return. He's been rumored to toronto for jd drew with STL getting lidle. That would weaken St louis imho.

Ponson i'm iffy on, and Lidle, a rental, I'd avoid.

But this is great news.

#13 DVauthrin, Jul 14, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im not sure if it is worth it to go out and find another starter. Honestly, I dont see it as much of an upgrade. I would rather go and find a relief pitcher. That way, it would be a "relief" to the arms of the guys in the bullpen right now. It can keep them from being burned out when crunch time rolls around later in the season.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

During the time that Villone has been with the club, he's pitched way better overall than Redding has. That being said, I would still rather let Redding start to help his development than put him in the pen.

I kind of doubt the Pirates would be willing to help us out, seeing as how they're in our division and all.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I know arkoe, I was just stating my favorite pitcher on the market.

Rezdawg,

That 3rd starter to complement miller/oswalt will be handy in the postseason.

Can you imagine oswalt-miller-vasquez or oswalt-miller-benson.

Those would be tremendously intimidating. Our relief pitching is fine as is, and benitez would only weaken it as he is overrated.

17. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Yeah arkoe I'd be a bit surprised if the Pie-Roots would hand over Benson. They'll probably see how they do after the All-Star break before they start thinking about trying to unload him. With them in 4th place and 7.5 out, they might go ahead and let him go if they want to save his salary (4.3 mill.) and if they can get something decent in return.

As for Benson himself, he doesn't seem to be very motivated at the moment to pitch well. McClendon is bashing him, and he doesn't seem to have much success in his career (34-37, 4.21 ERA). But, this IS the Pirates we're talking about, so it's not like he's likely to get a lot of run support. He's got the talent, it's just a matter of putting it out on the field.

18. desihooper

Supporting Member

Pirates unloading begins

So now we know the Pirates have started to clean house. If we could get one of their starters mentioned in this article, and perhaps Scott Sauerbeck to shore up the relief corps, I think we will accomplish both our goals with one trade. Someone to provide some relief for the Big Three in the pen and someone, Benson(?), who can step in behind Oswalt and Miller to give us a stud, young, top three in the rotation. Milo was talking on the radio the other day and said a change of scenery might be what Benson is looking for. Come on Gerry!!

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Which starter would you replace in the current rotation?

Oswalt - no
    Miller - no
    Robertson - has won 8 in a row
    Villone - 2-0 with an ERA under 2.50
    Redding - 2 good starts in a row and a number of other quality starts

The question becomes:

At this point in time, who is Benson better than in the Astros current ortation?

20. haven

haven Member

bobrek:

Villone has a life-time ERA of 4.97. Benson's is 4.27. Benson is a much, much better pitcher. He's also got better stamina.

I worry about the inconsistency, too. But I have trouble believing that a pitcher that's pitched so much better over the course of his career wouldn't immediately replace a journeyman demi-starter like Villone. There is, of course, a question of whether Benson is worth that much more at the expense required to get and pay for him - but once we got him, it's an easy choice.

I've always liked Benson's stuff, and have been surprised he hasn't been more successful. His salary isn't too exorbitant, and there's a chance he could fulfill his potential w/a change of scenery. Even if not, he'd be a long-term improvement over Villone.