1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. MystikArkitect

Funny that Episode 1 and 2 were actually not bad. I was actually nervous after Ep2 because of that buildup, the scene with Podrick, Brienne being knighted, the battle prep....it was setting up so nicely.

And then holy crap there will never be a disaster of this magnitude on television again. It’s unprecedented really. I went ahead and just read the spoilers because I stopped caring. I was just discussing with my wife if this was enough to ruin the entire series. Simpson’s I still look at fondly even though there wasn’t much good after Season 10. Breaking Bad and Seinfeld both ended decently enough. True Detective Season 1 was amazing. Tywinn, Robert, Olenna, Littlefinger, Margery, Joffrey, Stannis, Rob, etc. Such great characters undermined by this shitshow of a season.

astros123 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Read the books when it comes out in 2030

jcf likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Man I hope GRRM is eating a healthy diet and taking good care of himself.

cebu likes this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

All I wanted was a good ending (that makes sense) and a rockets championship. Apparently I ask for too much

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Endgame delivered.... I say that after a week's worth of cursing and drinking

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I’ve only seen the first avengers. I haven’t seen any of the super heroe movies since then. I don’t know how many I can catch up on..

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

GOT is subversive fantasy... what the hell do some people expect? Go watch LOTR or numerous otheres if you want the perfect character arc and storybook ending where the hero gets the girl and the hero wins and always does the right thing. Those are great stories, but told 1,000 times over. Nothing wrong with it, but you have to approach GOT as if it is not to be trusted.

#1807 dachuda86, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    mikol13, GRENDEL and Falcons Talon like this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The issue people have with Episode 5 isn't that the writing isn't like LOTR, it's that the writing isn't like GoT. The shocking and subversive parts from the earlier seasons (Red Wedding, Ned's execution, Jon getting murdered, etc.) are against the expectation of traditional fantasy readers, but all happen as a natural consequence of characters acting exactly as who they are. Dany's turn, which the showrunners specifically said happened as she sat there hearing the surrender bells rung, runs against who she has always been. Yes, she has committed great violence, even cruelty, against her enemies, but never massacred innocent civilians.

9. Invisible Fan

She's fairly shrewd and calculated. Who's to say the bloodbath she caused is intended to crush opposition and remove any doubt she means business about bending the knee?

Dgn1 likes this.
  10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Don't know if I'd say skyrocket , ever seen one of kit harrigntons
    other movies.

#1810 DAROckets, May 16, 2019
  11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I've always just thought these scenes were meant to show she was honing her skills .

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure what killing the King's Landing civilian population does to make this point. They didn't exactly have a say about bending the knee.

13. Invisible Fan

Her fam died there.

Not much anyone can do with her dragon.

Dgn1 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Squeezing out the last fire from her last dragon that may die in the future.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The whole point is that she is crazy... she has that incest blood and in the got world that makes you likely to go mad. Sorry if that isn't how you like it. I do blame show writers for rushing it. It is really not too shocking if you watch all the times she burns people and enjoys it. And especially not shocking if you read the books. The tv show made her into a Mary Sue for a few seasons too which really was a huge mistake as well. Largely people who liked Danny are upset as well, but she was not some hero. She is a conquerer. That is what they do. She already brought an army of professional rapists and pillagers and a dragon. What did people expect? Martin is staunchly anti-war so why the hell would she be some hero at the end. It was nice to see that ending. She was fed up with everyone after everyone chose jon and she knows he will take over if she doesnt scare the **** out of people. She gave up her dragons and large parts of her army and her closest adviser. And still the throne wasn't hers. She even knew that it was jon's and seeing it after everything she went through made her cave in to her worst side.

There is also an element of being in the air. You dont see what it is like where you are spitting flames.

#1815 dachuda86, May 16, 2019
    FLASH21 likes this.
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

Pictured above... a true hero lol.... clearly a progressive feminist on a mission who isn't the embodiment of destruction.

MiddleMan likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm usually dogging the show, but I don't agree with this bad-ending take. It's ending fine. Yeah, the plotting isn't tight and the compelling dialogue appears to be almost all gone, but that has been true for a few seasons now. The show is not as good as it was in the first ~4 seasons. The story arcs for Dany, John Snow, Tyrion, Varys, Sansa, Cersei, Jaime, etc are fine. The Night King went down like a chump, but otherwise I find them pretty satisfying. The execution on them has been a bit sloppy (that people don't understand how Dany went mad, don't understand why Jaime returned to Cersei, etc), but if they'd done it expertly I could see the coming end being very good.

mikol13, Dgn1, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The one thing the last season has hammered home for me...

The entire story is now pointless.

It had a point when it was about Winter Coming. But that wasn't that difficult apparently. The Night King was fairly useless.

So it's about the Lannisters and the Iron Throne. Who cares... from a reality perspective?? A bunch of people in power fighting other people in power. Sure, Jaime and Cersei aren't nice people. Great. Got it.

For the rest of their world, they all seemed to be doing ok. Certainly better than under Daenerys. I guess Daenerys did some good outside the 7 kingdoms, freeing enslaved people, that's true.

But otherwise, as meme's and reddit have pointed out many times, the story should have easily gone like this:

"Ned, come to King's Landing!!!!"

Ned: "No"

/end

19. astros123

astros123 Member

Can someone tell me where the **** all the unsully came from? WTF is happening with the writing?! Did they just magically respawn?

[​IMG]

MiddleMan likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They did rather botch the end of the Night King, there's no denying. The show might have been better without that whole bit, especially given the way it was ultimately resolved. However, finishing the story of how the Targaryen heirs to the Iron Throne return to unseat usurpers and whether the Seven Kingdoms get the good one, the mad one, or something else is a worthwhile story to tell. The politics of who is to be king has always been the most compelling part of the show anyway.

mikol13 likes this.