1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

One last post:

I don't like how GoT has reset the consequences of the prior season in the last two premiers.

This year we came into the year knowing Jon Snow had established control of the North as their hero, Glover was behind him, etc. Yara was a prisoner of the Greyjoys. We get to episode 1 and we undo that. It wasn't as dramatic as last year's where we wiped out entire armies in the first episode to reset the board, but still, it's annoying. It makes prior stuff so inconsequential. There's no dramatic betrayal by Glover, just a ho-hum letter resetting him back to being a dick hiding in Deepwood Motte. Why bother? And the Greyjoy thing was such a throwaway.

Also, Dany is the worst part of the show. I don't root for her at all. b****y character, mediocre to poor acting, super entitled...she'd "be a good queen" because we've seen that she frees people. Other than that she sucks. It's easy to see why nobody in the North would want to be under her rule if they weren't under her like Jon gets to be.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Tormund's party even said the undead army was between them and Winterfell so they'd have to travel around to avoid the undead army. I can only rationalize that a small party moves quicker than the whole army, but still, it's not worth making sense of travel time in the show.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, Moses and the Israelites wandered around for forty years in the same bit of desert.

"Moses, let's just go back and retrace our steps, no harm no foul...."
    "We are not going back!"
    "No offense, M, but the Big Guy by chance didn't give you a map, did he? I mean, I know I've seen that same rock now five times...."

The undead apparently shuffle and lumber. Maybe they've become impatient over the years: "Producers say you can head South now." "FINALLY!"

ghettocheeze, B-Bob and justtxyank like this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The bigger the army the slower it will move, naturally, right? The wall scene shows them basically "shuffling" forward.

Compare that to the Unsullied/Dothraki marching into Winterfell at basically a light jog.

Plus you have the advantage of knowledge. The good guys have homefield and probably know the quickest paths, whereas the undead are in uncharted territory.

That being said, yeah it is kinda weird but it's not completely implausible... like some of the travel stuff from season 7.

#204 DonnyMost, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    jchu14 and tmoney1101 like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Ha. That’s Jon Snow’s response to everything.

For me it was a big moment, and whether or not his response was underwhelming, I still wanted to know what it looked like on screen.

tmoney1101 and justtxyank like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don't get the big deal about Thrones vs. Rockets. I set the Rox to DVR, and watches Thrones first. As long as you fast fwd through Shaq and Chuck, and commercials I caught up live around halftime anyways.

Good setup episode, and the characters certainly were acting the way I would have expected. Lots of good witty humor written in this episode too. I should have hated the dragon flying and the staredown when they were making out thing, but actually found that to be hilarious. Mostly because I can relate to our dog doing the exact same thing anytime me & the ms. want to have some alone time.

Sure doesn't seem like they are wasting any time this season with the two primary confrontations.

ryan_98, arkoe, BigM and 1 other person like this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This episode did have some great one-liners.

"I've always had blue eyes!"

"I wanted those elephants."

The funniest thing may have been Bran getting left out in the cold for hours on end. Like, a little help fellas, maybe?

tmoney1101, B-Bob and dobro1229 like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'd put out of mind just how awkward Jaime's participation in the war would be:

"Thanks for pushing me out of a window, a * * h o l * !! Although I forgive you, for I am now Bran-Borg."

"Hey, well, my dad apparently wasn't all that great, I'll grant you that; but you've got brass ones for showing your face, Kingslayer."

Jaime thinking, "Maybe I should have caught a ship to overseas. No Bran. No Targaryen. No Cersei."

Sansa: "Who left Bran sitting there in the courtyard? Go get him."
    Some Lordling: "He likes it there, Lady Sansa. Watch. BRAN! YOU WANT TO COME IN FROM THE COLD?"
    Bran: "Bran-Borg feels no cold."
    Some Lordling: "See?"

RunninRaven and Eric Riley like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

tmoney1101 and justtxyank like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Arya still hasn't officially met the queen :eek:

11. justtxyank

The part that makes it implausible to me is that the Wall comes down and the army is marching to Last Hearth. When the Wall comes down I assume Umber boy is at Last Hearth because when this season starts back up he's at Winterfell telling them he needs more supplies to finish evacuating. The Wall has to have been down for a few days minimum here because they know at Wintefell. So someone got a raven to them I guess by then? Umber boy leaves and goes back to Last Hearth. By the time he leaves Wintefell, the King should have been moving to Last Heart for days. He gets there, gets slaughtered, etc. It was probably only a day tops by the time the Heroes arrive because the bodies were still fresh. Also, when Umber boy leaves Wintefell, Jon tells them to send a raven to Castle Black to come to Winterfell since the wall has fallen. It's just all so weird lol. I know it's meaningless and I'm a loser for caring, but it cracks me up.

12. justtxyank

The tension around Jon Snow's loyalty is good.

Best part of the episode to me.

The North not happy he bent the knee.
    Sansa not happy.
    His best friend in the family Arya doesn't 100% support him like he thought and gives him that warning about not forgetting he's family.
    Finds out he's a Targ. The little comment from Sam about him giving up his throne for his people and asking if Dany would do the same?

Good stuff.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Or Bran. Jon looked surprised that Sansa knew already. Jon also was puzzled while glancing at Bran while he was still computing things.
    This is the one that irked me. If the Wall has fallen, why send a raven to tell them to come to winterfell, wouldnt they all be dead or caught in battle and if theyre worried about the whole army they assembled to take on the walkers, how the hell is Castle Black gonna be able to?

Rocket River and justtxyank like this.
  14. justtxyank

I forgot about Bran good call. Cheat code lol.

Well remember they didn't come through the wall near Castle Black. They came through the far castle that the Band of Heroes went to. I'd actually forgotten that part of it. Forget what I said about travel. :p

15. cebu

cebu Member

he said he was waiting for a friend... i guess it's Jamie... he has nasty plans for his ultimate BFF, the man who made him who he is now. it could be heading north or south. we'll see.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont think so. I think hes come to terms with the whole window thing and I think hes realized that Jamie has moved away from his sister and probably sees good in him. Hes gonna have a part to play with the whole Euron/Cersei thing.

In the recap before the show, they kept going back to Tyrion lurking in the hallway while the cousins banged. Then on top of the castle wall, The onion, verys and he were discussing about Jon and Danerys being a" cute couple". Those were words from Tryions mouth. Something is coming with that scenario as well. Maybe he plots Sansa against her, or maybe Sam already unintentionally plotted with breaking the news to Jon. Maybe Bran is puppeteering this whole thing after all.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Look, incest is totally OK when it comes to the Tagaryens. They have a long history of brothers marrying sinters. Danny and Jon pairing is among the more genetically diverse of Tagaryen sexual relations.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. justtxyank

Unless it's poor writing (which is possible) Bran wouldn't bother to make sure Jon knows about his heritage unless he sees it as important to his ultimate goal. He's Mr. "there's no time for this" about all of the pleasantries yet he thinks it's vitally important that in the middle of this war Sam goes and tells Jon ASAP about his lineage and claim to throne even though it would likely disturb the stability of the alliance.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

when the rest of the family finds out i don't think jamie makes it very long. especially arya. this is assuming of course they find out

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

and Jon still doesn't know what Bran is