1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fry's Electronics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 18, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Just went to Target to buy T2 Judgement Day and have to say, I got a little nostalgic scanning each shelf of DVDs and Blurays and having one of the employees help me find it, like I was at a Blockbuster or Hollywood movies again.

T2 is on sale on blu ray, 4k blu ray and digital all in one for 7.50

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Love Frys and sad that it seems to be on its last legs. No way they are going to last until next year.

Best Buy sucks and I hope microcenter also doesn’t go out of business.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Talked to the assistant manager at the local Staples today as they prepare to inventory items before closing the store. Apparently the reason for this particular store closure is that their lease is ending, and a new tenant offered the landlord much higher rent. The new tenant = Aldi.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

haven’t been to Frys in like 10 years, but I used to like going to the one off 59 back in the day

maybe I’ll pop in real quick 1 of these days just to see if the stories of it looking like a deserted ghost town are true

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Be prepared for it to be true. Like I said earlier, the condition of the one in Austin shocked me. There were only 2 people at the registers. One was a guy who took forever to give me change for a twenty (I should have used a credit card for my less than $5 purchase, but I wanted change), and the other looked like an 80 year old homeless lady. Not kidding (and not that there’s anything wrong with that). Had just walked up to a register and the guy I picked was just the first one on my way out. Should have picked the lady. The days of being directed to a register with a green light are long gone.

As I walked out, a fellow who looked like he was one of the few holdovers from 2 or 3 years ago, standing by the door with the colored pen to mark your receipt, as per usual (some things never change until the business is belly up, apparently), marked my ticket without looking at it. I asked him, “What the hell happened to this place?” He looked at me with a stare that resembled a dog that’d just been kicked and shook his head. “They’re trying to move everything online. The days are numbered here.” I looked around before I left and they had an enormous banner hanging from the ceiling saying to check out their website for “Great Deals!” Sad.

Uprising and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. donkeypunch

The irony in that. I agree with aeroman

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Their website sucks for sure (as mentioned in the thread), but What's interesting is if you live close to the store in Austin, they offer same day delivery, but again their site is truly awful... Unfortunately the same day delivery is pulled from stock at the store... So.... No inventory there either

Deckard likes this.
  8. trigun333

trigun333 Member

I used to actually work at the Webster location back in 2006 as a cashier, and it definitely has changed since then. When I worked there it was non stop people shopping during the weekends and after 5:00 PM during the weekday. Worked there for a year and a half and got to experience the whole shopping year at the store during its peak. I got out before going through Black Friday again. That was the most brutal shift for me during my time there. Now, it's basically deserted at every hour. I tend to go if to see if I can find a PC part that I don't want to wait on. I'm successful about 80% of the time.

They actually price match Best Buy, Amazon, and Newegg as long as you tell the floor associate ahead of time and they'll, for the most part, help you out because they are bored to death. I made my a listing of all the parts I wanted and were available at Frys and basically compared prices on the internet. I was happy with the overall pricing for everything and also didn't have to pay for shipping or wait for any of my parts, so there was some savings compared to if I just went online. I wish they would revamp their store but maybe its only would possible if the store was smaller and focused on smaller rang of electronics. I wonder how long the Webster location has before it closes.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I always recall the BEST stores and their unusual architecture. Assuming they were killed off by the internet too.

[​IMG]

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I always thought those became Best Buys. As a kid in the 70's going to the Best store in Austin was an amazing experience.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Same. Went back a few weeks ago just to see if they had a cheap t.v. deals. Literally saw one other customer in there.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

well damn...it’s sounding like Fry’s needs to just be put out of its misery

I’ll try and go there sometime this week and provide an update

I really used to enjoy going to Fry’s...it’s a shame what’s happening to them

Deckard likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought it was worthwhile being able to actually look at things I was thinking of buying. I can do some of that at places like Costco, but the stuff in their stores doesn't have the same variety Fry's used to have. Same with Best Buy, who's hanging in there, trying to adapt. Less variety.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Man I thought Frys was still going strong. I get their ads in my email all the time but haven’t been in years. Used to love that one off 45.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Americans have made a decision
    Cheaper is better than quicker

Fry's has online store but so does alot of others than don't have the overhead of maintaining stores

We will wait for 2~3 days to save 10% or more

Rocket River

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Opposite, quicker is better than cheaper. Amazon prime is what changed it all. Anything you want at the click of a button

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Brick and Mortar still has some key advantages over ecommerce. The issue is that Frys itself has no advantages. Frys positioned itself as a big box retailer that could offer better selection than competitors. Unfortunately for them, Amazon can offer much better selection and prices and the advantage of being able to buy an item in person isn't enough to offset Amazon's advantages.

Best Buy on the other hand has made a major shift in strategy. Aside from launching its own ecommerce site, Best Buy also has pretty strong price matching. But the key thing that Best Buy did was focus on service. Specifically, they invested heavily in Geek Squad, installation services, consulting services for home entertainment, etc.. All of those things make money. Amazon can sell you something like a ring doorbell but Best Buy can price match it and schedule an installer to come out on the next day. (Amazon also has contractors that it can send but their network is quite limited and can't compare to Best Buy's). Also Geek Squad itself is a huge revenue generator and again its a key difference. They're so well marketed at this point that people make it a point to buy at Best Buy because of Geek Squad. Lastly, Best Buy also partnered with hardware providers to create mini stores within Best Buy that are staffed with people from those partners which again re-emphasizes the strong customer service element that they are pushing.

Now compare that to Frys which hasn't changed since 2000. They're fighting a losing battle and didn't invest in any of the key components that will make them money. Their service has always been awful but that's a much bigger problem today as B&M with poor service is basically worthless unless you're trying to be Walmart.

Deckard and Rocket River like this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

When Fry's started selling knock off perfumes I knew the end was near. Also, haven't seen anyone play that piano in 15 years.

Deckard likes this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

They still have those big newspaper ads. Why? It's not working.

20. donkeypunch

Awesome, now theres no more jockeying for position to see the specials on the bulletin board.