1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox Sports] Favre info leak story sparks NFL-wide reaction

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8700404/Favre-denies-info-leak;-ex-teammate-takes-jab

Brett Favre is still making headlines in Green Bay.

One day after FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reported that the former Packers quarterback leaked information to help the Detroit Lions beat his former team last month, Favre, the league and former teammates all voiced their opinions on the situation.

Favre spent over an hour on the phone with Lions coaches ahead of their Sept. 14 game with Green Bay, according to Glazer's sources, giving Detroit a rundown of the nuances of what the Packers do on offense.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league had no comment but stressed that Glazer's report detailed no illegal action.

"Even if it were true, there would be no violation of league rules," Aiello wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Monday morning.

Favre, traded to the New York Jets after a prolonged, ugly split with the Packers' front office this summer, was not asked about the report after the Jets' loss at Oakland on Sunday. But in a text message to an NBC reporter before the Seahawks-Buccaneers prime-time game, Favre strongly denied it.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli didn't issue a similar denial, saying only that he had no comment.

Any information Favre may have given wasn't much help. The Packers beat the Lions 48-25.

After calling the situation "disappointing" and declining further comment Sunday night, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Monday that the team wasn't seeking any recourse against Favre.

"I'm not going to do anything about it," McCarthy said. "I have no comment."

The idea that a player might be willing to spill secrets about his old team certainly isn't new in NFL circles. It's almost expected that when a player leaves one team and joins another, he will share inside information with his new coaches — especially if they were preparing to play against his old team.

So if Favre shared information about the Packers with his new coaches in New York, there wouldn't have been much of an outcry in Green Bay.

But the notion of Favre possibly reaching out, unsolicited, to offer a scouting report of the Packers to a team he doesn't play for didn't sit well with at least one former teammate.

"He contacted them? I don't respect that," cornerback Charles Woodson said after the Packers' victory over Indianapolis on Sunday. "If they call him and he gives them information, that's one thing. But to seek a team out and to feel like you're trying to sabotage this team, I don't respect that. I know he's been the greatest player around here for a long time, but there's no honor in that."

If such actions aren't considered out of bounds, Woodson said they should be.

"I've never called a coach on another team and told them what's going to happen," Woodson said. "It is what it is. Obviously he says he wasn't bitter about what happened, but obviously there is a little bit of resentment there."

Packers wide receiver Ruvell Martin shared Woodson's concern.

"If it's true, then you've got to question motives," Martin said. "I don't know what to say."

But Martin downplayed the actual damage leaked inside information could do to a team.

"In my opinion, there's not too much you can gain," Martin said. "You can give them our hand signals, (but) those are on tape already. If we find out you've got our hand signals, we try to find a way (around it)."

Packers center Scott Wells said it would be "disappointing" if Favre shared information with a division rival, but noted the Packers ended up beating the Lions anyway.

"Obviously it didn't work out too well for them," Wells said. "We were still able to go out and move the ball on them and win the game."

Other Packers wouldn't touch the subject.

"I'd rather not know what it is and not comment on it," said wide receiver Donald Driver, a close friend of Favre's.

2. Landlord Landry

great, more Brett Favre news. hoo-ray.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Tarnish that legacy more, dip****. :rolleyes:

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Very interesting story. If it's true, c'mon now Favre. You're a better person that that. Don't stoop to that level.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Favre is on his way to being the Mark McGuire of the GB Packers... such an ingrate.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

nothing proven yet.. and nothing from favre (not even a 'no comment').. so let's wait and see..

7. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

610 was saying Favre denied it soon after it was leaked out.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Douchebaggery?

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Who cares? How is something like this not expected?

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If an hour of conversation is going to cause GB to lose, then they deserve it.