1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former UT back Cedric Benson killed in motorcycle crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CrazyJoeDavola, Aug 18, 2019.

1. CrazyJoeDavola

https://www.chron.com/sports/longho...-running-back-Cedric-Benson-dead-14341498.php

Lee High and University of Texas star running back Cedric Benson reportedly has died in a two-vehicle wreck in Austin, according to the Austin American-Statesman. The newspaper attributed information about Benson's death to family and friends.

CBS affiliate KEYE reported on its website that the Saturday night crash involved a motorcycle and a minivan, and that medics declared a man and a woman in their 30s dead at the scene. Two other people refused transport to the hospital.

The KEYE report also cites a law enforcement spokesperson, who said that the motorcycle was traveling westbound on Ranch-to-Market Road 2222 when it struck the white minivan that was pulling onto the roadway. The two people who died on scene were on the motorcycle, the spokesperson said.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Damn that's horrible. RIP

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Very sad, way too young. Horns Up. :(

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Motorcycle death is nothing new. Almost 30x chance that of a car. Surprising to me was that Ferry deaths were #3.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Terrible. Cars are the reason for most motorcycle accidents. A lot of people on bikes would still be around if we didn't have cars. I feel badly for Benson's family, and the family of the passenger. Such a waste. Rest in peace.

Motorcycles are so dangerous, and I wanted one so badly when I was a teenager. My late father flatly said no. No discussion, either. I found out later that one of his best friends was killed on one right in front of him by a guy running a light. Long after, a friend of mine was killed leaving a party. It was at by a car that ran a stop sign, about 6 blocks down the street from the party.

I understand why folks ride them, it's a wonderful sensation. The wind blowing through your hair, maybe a chick gripping you from behind, and being able to see everything, especially in the country on a two lane blacktop. Dad's lesson stayed with me, though, so eventually I did the next best thing. Bought a red convertible '65 Triumph Spitfire. Loved it. Just like being in an oversexed go-cart and would corner on rails. My butt was about 4" above the pavement, legs sticking straight out. Had to rebuild the engine twice. They are a pain to keep running, but when they're running good, they're a sweet ride. Still miss it.

superfob, DaDakota, Houstunna and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I went to a MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course this weekend to learn how to ride and buy a motorcycle soon. After a day of riding and learning about the dangers, I just realized it wasn’t for me. You hear lots of stories about people who break bones but love it so much they continue to ride...or worse yet, people who die from their injuries. I don’t want to fall into either camp.

RIP Cedric Benson. Incredible talent

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've been riding bikes for over 30 years and I will be the first to tell you they are dangerous as hell. People don't see you, small tire contact area makes road hazards like grease spots, gravel, water really dangerous, and what be a small fender bender in car could be fatal on a bike. Anyone that tells you differently hasn't ridden very long or is just lying to you.

Deckard, Houstunna and CCity Zero like this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

RIP. Way too young, just awful news to hear this morning. I was a student at UT when he played, he was an amazing and special talent for sure.

I still can't believe it for how young he was, I mean his last post last night on social media was about riding this very bike. It's surreal sometimes how you get to see someone's last post, like he was legitimately going out to have a good time, just awful how things can get completely messed up in an instant. I means it's always been like this with anyone, but I guess I just mean you get a small hint as to his state of mind looking forward at riding his bike with social media.

Anyway like others have mentioned about bikes being dangerous, if you don't ride them please try to respect them more. I've wanted a bike before (not for years now) and even grew up with riding a bike (not much serious traffic riding though since it was a small Texas town). Don't get me wrong I love bikes but I don't think I could deal with the other people that don't respect riders (yes accidents happen but I've seen some real ******* drivers, also, not saying that's the case here as accidents can happen, it just sucks).

What I'm trying to say is it's clear to me on the road who actually understands what it's like to be riding your bike in traffic. I typically give riders good distance, even move out of their way if they're going fast, and at stoplights give them extra distance, so in case I get rear-ended the biker will hopefully be okay. It's absolute bullshit when people tailgate a rider and don't follow basic traffic rules. I added this in case, so people will try to double check for motorcycle riders (even if it helps one person's driving habits it's worth it).

RIP, Horns Up

superfob and Deckard like this.
  9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

He was one of the first High School Stars I remember watching when I first began working with Fox Sports in the late 1990's. That dude was a beast out of Midland Lee - helped them to 3 state titles in a row. Unfortunately, he had a penchant for drunk driving / boating.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The van was pulling out -
    People don't look for bikes......sad.

DD

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bikes are hard to see at night and most of them drive like assholes. Just think of a flashlight zooming thru traffic.

12. Buck Turgidson

Damn. Way too young.

10:30 at night on that stretch of road (and many others, I see it all the time) on a motorcycle is a recipe for disaster.

13. MystikArkitect

Motorcyclist.

RIP.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Benson's Boat Party -- never forget... RIP.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've ridden that road on my bike at over 100 mph before. It's pretty fun and DANGEROUS. Very easy to drift into oncoming traffic.,

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Gotta disagree here, although it isn’t the place for an argument. Most bikers know what they’re doing and try to drive safely, just like people in cars. Most on the road are reasonably safe drivers. Most, but far from all, in both cases. It’s the small percentage that are reckless that drive us all crazy and put us, and them, in danger.

I had back surgery because a guy in a big pickup ran a red light and took the front end off my Honda Odyssey. This was the original, smaller model, based on the Accord at the time, and our youngest was in the small 3rd seat in the back, strapped in like an astronaut. There was a Suburban next to me, the side with oncoming traffic, so I couldn’t see what was coming, but the light turned green and I slowly started to cross the intersection. Figured out later that the Suburban didn’t move because he saw the idiot coming, who was going well over 50, having sped up to “make” the light. It was the feeder at S. Mopac and 290 Many years ago in Austin, going east, and I was in the middle lane.

It was like a stick of dynamite suddenly went off. If I’d left a second sooner I’d be dead, and maybe my son. The front frame rails were sticking out. People all around us had stopped, thinking we’d be going to the hospital or worse. The van had instantly spun 90 degrees. The guy in the pickup had got out, stunned and looking around. He admitted running the light and said, “I was in a hurry to get to Target.” If I’d been able to, at that moment I would have killed him.

superfob and CCity Zero like this.
  17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Parents had a friend who died riding a bike.

I had a friend who died riding a bike.

I still have a messed up collarbone because I hit an RX-7 riding a bike. Loser backed out without looking and had the audacity to tell his insurance that I was at fault. Lot of fun cursing my ass off to his insurer (USAA)

My advice? Ride a dirt bike. So much more fun and pretty much 99% chance some douchebag won't run you over.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The Pakistani girl that died with him is related to some people that I know.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I get it. The adrenaline mixed with a crotch rocket can make people do stupid things. This is one of them.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Cycles, motorized or not, have absolutely no place on curvy country roads with blind turns. You'd probably be amazed how some of those people ride around here, they usually scrape one up every month or so.

Sorry about your wreck, I've been in 2 faultless bad ones myself. My tolerance for assholes on the road is minimal.

Be smarter and stay around longer, amigo.

Deckard likes this.