1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Man, it seems like Xavier Cedeno should be older than 31 (32 in a few days)

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

3. Buck Turgidson

Don't forget Delino DeShields, for that one year he was really good.

4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Looks like Giles got a couple of back to back saves over the weekend.... nice to see he's not getting any worst.

5. bobrek

He's 6/6 in saves for Toronto after going 12/12 with Houston.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

thought he blew one big time against Boston in his debut , or was it 2nd appearance.

7. bobrek

He might have blown a tie like he did in Houston a couple of times this year, but not a save

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Hate to keep bringing up Hader, but tonight against the Cubs he pitched the 7th and 8th. 24 pitches, 19 strikes, 6 Ks.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hate to keep bringing it up Fiers, but Astros might not have won the 2017 World Series if he didn't pitch well when needed in the regular season.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. vince

vince Member

He was their work horse when it seemed injuries sidelined all of their other starters.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But do you think they would have lost their division lead?

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not sure if serious...............?

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There was obviously zero chance we lose the division lead, but maybe we slump enough that we lose home field without Fiers, or maybe some extra losses midseason on top of all the other losing creates a snowball. Maybe with a better pitcher than Fiers we pass the Indians and have a different postseason bracket that results in us losing to Cleveland in the ALCS, or possibly cruising to a WS title instead of the insane tension. You never know how things play out.

All I know is that the timeline in which Mike Fiers lead the 2017 club in innings pitched resulted in a World Series title. I will never lose a wink of sleep over Hader even if he's the greatest relief pitcher in history.

Joe Joe likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

12/12 in saves and still has a -.06 WAR....... that isn't easy to pull off.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nope. I don't care about Division Championships except that they make it easier to win World Series.

I don't know what happens in the playoffs if the Astros don't have Fiers. Maybe the Astros trade for Gray at July deadline instead of getting Verlander later. I don't know what happens. I know with Fiers in the regular season, the Astros won the World Series.

Completely Serious. Astros won the World Series last year. I don't care how bad a decision prior to the World Series was in hindsight (or even at the time) as flags fly forever with the help of a leaf blower. I would not change a thing leading up to the 2017 World Series.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He may set an untouchable record.... most saves without a blown save while sporting an ERA > 5.00.

Nook likes this.
  17. bobrek

Yep...also up to 20/20 in saves overall and still the one run allowed. He actually came into a tie game and didn't implode a couple of days ago. :)

18. Hey Now!

He was hot garbage fire in the majority of his 29 appearances last year - 7.57 ERA in the 17 appearances (16 starts) that surrounded a very good 12-start stretch. For the season, he had a -.5 bWAR. And he didn't pitch a single inning - regular season or postseason - after Sept. 13.

We shouldn't minimize that 12-start stretch because he was, as I said, very good - but the Astros won their division by 22 games. To say they "might not have won the 2017 World Series" without Mike Fiers is bananas. They led the division by 6.5 games when he went on his streak. So, maybe they don't win it by 22 games but......... they were going to win it, likely if you or I had taken those 12 starts. No one else in the division won more than 80 games.

19. Hey Now!

Sure; 2017 was a magical year, and I will never question or doubt the entirety of the experience. It all came together beautifully.

But, as easily as you can argue Fiers' contribution, you can just as easily argue what a detriment he was for the majority of his 2017 appearances. A near-8 ERA in 82 innings. That's trash.

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He’s amazing