1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. vince

vince Member

I was furious when the Astros traded Appel. I thought he could turn it around. But even a change of scenery didn’t help. Astros managed to squeeze anybit of value he still had. A great move by Luhnow which show he’s a great GM.

And Kudos to Appel for accepting his reality, that he isn’t cutting it in the majors. Maybe he comes back or maybe he comits to his life outside of baseball. The talent seemed to be there, but he just could not adjust to pro ball players catching up to his stuff; he lacked elusiveness to mix into his arsenal.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I always thought him being so disappointed in not being the #1 pick in 2011, and turning down the million+ signing bonus with the Pirates, then coming back and raising his stock even more the following year was going to be a plus in the "handle the pressure" department.

But in the end, we have a guy who never really failed at any level prior to the draft... and when he finally did face adversity/failure, he crumpled like a cheap suit.

Provided his arm is sound... whenever he gets his head right, I'm sure he'll give it another go (if he really wants it). Could top out as a relief pitcher.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

#1 to done. Sad.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Maybe he peaked at Stanford? Most college pitchers would get clubbed like a baby seal, in AA.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe.

He did have good stuff for college. May have had one or two double digit K games in the minors, showing that the stuff... when right... could be elusive.

But like all pitchers that get adjusted to, he was going to have to adjust back at some point... something he probably never had to do at any other point.

Not going to comment on work ethic, etc. since none of us are privy to the full details.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The article itself said that he is one of only 3 players ever drafted #1 overall who never made it to the majors. So I'm not so sure on the 50/50. One expects at LEAST a serviceable starter from the overall #1 selection.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Make up your own mind. Here is a list of pitchers taken #1 in the MLB draft since 1990:

8. Buck Turgidson

Stanford education and a few million dollars is a good fallback.

He's the wrongest I've ever been wrong on a guy - not Reed, not Redding, not Hirsch, not nobody. I remember talking to justtxyank or juicystream (has anyone seen them both in the same room?) months before the draft and I was really torn b/t Bryant and Appel. Oops.

Bregman is a pretty good consolation 3Bman though. Bryant at 1B....damn, then we could talk about "greatest IF ever".

9. Nook

Nook Member

Everyone was wrong on him. Theo Epstein said the Cubs would have taken Appel #1 as well.

awc713 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

I know.

Are sports psychologists a common thing now with teams? I know of stories of players hiring them personally.

How much in his own head is he right now? I can't imagine that level of failure on that big a stage.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not everyone

awc713 and NIKEstrad like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think we're in that discussion now.

But if you throw Bryant in at 1B, we are talking 3 true MVP players in their prime for multiple years, and Bregman who is pretty damn good himself. If healthy it wouldn't even be a discussion.

But, s**t happens. Sports are an inexact science, and baseball is the least exact of them all. The what if game is so much easier to talk about, and deal with, after you've won a title LOL.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

We have no idea how the cards fall if Bryant over Appel. For instance, Aiken may have been the choice, in part, because they had a more polished pitching prospect ahead of him and they assumed they could take a HS pitcher and be more patient. If Bryant, they might have favored Rodon, instead - and if they'd drafted Rodon, they likely don't get Bregman.

BUT........ imagining THIS line-up with Kris Bryant is fun so - CARRY ON!

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I feel weird complaining about the Astros drafting. Doesn't feel right.

arkoe likes this.
  15. SuraGotMadHops

Appel should give the Skeeters or one of these independent leagues a try in a year or two. Fresh start, small time, build up for a comeback like Kazmir and Jason Lane did.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Sports media made HOU a punchline for not holding onto JD Martinez...and now he cant ink more than 100MM. Great hitter for sure, but funny how things lay out sometimes. So good until it's time to pay the man.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can totally see this happening after a couple of years off. He'll get the itch again and being close to home will make it worth the attempt.

18. plee

plee Member

It does seem like he was mentally ill prepared for the "pro" grind of playing baseball, throwing every four or five games, bus rides, etc... Not sure if teams have psychologist or people to help players coming into the profession leagues. Or he could be just be "burned out", probably playing since 5 or 6, all year round, etc... It's a good thing to do and see if he can get back the fire... if not, just move on from baseball.

19. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I'm guessing this is the appropriate thread for this, but I found this to be pretty funny. It's no secret that Lance was never a gym rat, but it's a bit humorous to hear him say this.

No Worries likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As great a player as he was, he actually did underachieve in his career. With his natural hitting talent, if he put in the effort during his mid 30's he might not have fallen off a cliff and would probably be a strong HOF candidate.

awc713 and texans1095 like this.