1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RICK SMITH!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ipaman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nick Caserio, Patriots

Rudyc281, raining threes and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

That is Nick Caserio. He is in charge of player personnel for the Patriots and has rebuffed job offers for years. Honestly no one knows if he is competent. The Patriots are secretive about how decisions are made. All I can is he has been with the best franchise in football for years and has kept his job when others have left. He has a back ground as an offensive assistant coach.

So in short there is absolutely no way for anyone to know if he would be a good GM.

What is telling is that he has a pre existing relationship with BOB. He also isn’t coming if Smith will have any input.

3. raining threes

The secondary sucked because, 1. KJo was drafted instead of Marcus Peters and Quin, Bouye were allowed to walk in FA. No amount of pass rush could possibly makeup for the suckage in the secondary this yr.

Teams with terrible OL's usually get their QB's hurt. It was almost criminal the situation Watson was put in. Are you really surprised Watson got hurt this season? I sure wasn't playing behind this OL and said so before the season started. The QB/OL is the foundation of any well built team. Or atleast that's my philosophy.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

No but Brian Gaine took a lateral job in Buffalo to get the hell away from Smith. Again I can’t see him coming back to HOU, even for a promotion if he has to answer to Smith.

RasaqBoi and raining threes like this.
  5. conquistador#11

They said today Gaine was fired by Smith?

6. raining threes

McNair needs to get Caserio.

Pay the man, he knows talent and I would like to see how the Texans would do with a likeminded GM/HC. With the lack of high picks and a poor FA class I really dont expect a whole lot of improvement next yr regardless of who the new GM is. Best we can hope for is that Watson can stay healthy next yr.

I hope I'm wrong.

7. raining threes

I dont see how any competent GM would consider coming to Houston if he has to answer to Smith.

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

McLain tweeted it.

Not sure if he made a mistake

9. raining threes

Me too

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Technically you are wrong. He went from Director to VP. And I don' remember him ever dissing on the Texans; not sure where you got the "get away from Rick Smith" from.

11. Mr. Clutch

He could have been trying to avoid O'Brien.

Will be interesting to see if he has interest in coming back.

Will just be interesting to see who wants to come to this situation

12. conquistador#11

What players has caserio acquired? We can get the guy that deflated the balls for a cheaper price. Hoody takes the players. Caserio is just a shadow gm what smith was to kubiak originally.

Take Brady out of the equation and from 2009 on the Texans have acquired the same or better talent than the Patriots. I remember not that long ago a defense that made brady throw a tantrum but the qb wasn't there for the texans. the guys that will be probowlers for other teams this season, how did they become Texans originally? They had to be found. What this team needs going forward is health. One of the thing BOB likes in his linemen is that they're versatile what a coincidence that Jeff allen "can play multiple positions" replaced a zone scheme warrior like brooks. B.O.B.
    The patriots can have linemen that can move all over the line because #12 diagnoses the defense before they even set up.

I want someone outside of NE.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...b-12465273.php?t=a5b3793ea9&cmpid=chronstrrpc

...The McNairs would like to have the position filled this week if possible. There's much to be done to improve a team that was decimated by injuries and lost nine of its last 10 games, including a 1-8 record after quarterback Deshaun Watson suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Smith's contract says he's in charge of the personnel department. He oversaw scouting, free agency, the draft, the medical staff and the equipment staff.

O'Brien's contract says he's in charge of who does and doesn't play on game days.

When looking for a replacement for Smith, the McNairs should look at personnel experts who are familiar with O'Brien. Having a relationship with O'Brien, or at least having worked with him, might be in the team's best interests to make sure the coach and general manager are on the same page.

To say O'Brien has a forceful personality is an understatement. He can be emotional, explosive and moody.

Three possible candidates who have worked with O'Brien are:

Brian Gaine, Buffalo's vice president of player personnel. He spent three seasons (2014-16) with the Texans, including a position as director of player personnel before being fired by Smith after last season. He had a good relationship with scouts and coaches.

Nick Caserio, New England's longtime vice president of player personnel. He and O'Brien are friends who worked together for five years with the Patriots. It might be difficult to persuade him to leave the Patriots, but he would get to be a general manager.

Jimmy Raye III, the team's vice president of football operations/assistant general manager. Raye, a longtime personnel executive with San Diego and Indianapolis, finished his first season with the Texans on Sunday.

Lame duck not desirable

This will be a busy week for the McNairs. They have to decide how long they want to commit to O'Brien. Do they sign him to a multiyear extension or see what he can do next season with a healthy Watson before trying to re-sign him?

A lame-duck O'Brien could be a goner after next season. If he's allowed to coach the last year of his contract with Watson and a healthy roster, he could become an unrestricted free agent with multiple offers.

Tying up O'Brien is important to the franchise. And it's doubly important to find a replacement for Smith who can be on the same page with the head coach.​

#1113 J.R., Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    raining threes likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The man that hired him “Beane” said it was “generally a lateral move” for Gaine to go to Buffalo from Houston.

15. Mr. Clutch

Bizarre.

This is not what he reported when Gaine left.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...ayer-personnel-Brian-Gaine-Bills-11147617.php

Brian Gaine, the Texans' director of player personnel, has been hired by the Buffalo Bills as their vice president of player personnel.

Under league rules, the Texans could have kept Gaine, who did a terrific job as general manager Rick Smith's right-hand man.

The Texans gave Gaine permission to accept the job because it's a promotion in title and a raise and places him closer to his family in Pearl River, N.Y.

arkoe likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

"If he's allowed to coach the last year of his contract with Watson and a healthy roster, he could become an unrestricted free agent with multiple offers.

Tying up O'Brien is important to the franchise. And it's doubly important to find a replacement for Smith who can be on the same page with the head coach."

My goodness, why does the media keep reporting that he'd have multiple offers without evidence?

And an extension for OBrien after a 4-12 season is ridiculous

17. raining threes

The difference is you don't want the Pats system and I do.

You could say the same thing about Dimitroff that you're saying about Caserio. Would you want SB runner up Dmitroff as your GM? Plus Caserio has a longer relationship with Belichick than Dimitroff does. As far as Brady goes you might should've checked out the Pats record without Brady before making this post.

One thing for sure is both O'brien and Caserio know the Pats system and would be on the same page together, unlike the clusterf**k that we've seen the last 4 years with Smith and O'Brien. That in itself would represent an improvement for me.

Are you a Pats hater, or do you just hate O'brien?

18. raining threes

Clint Murchison extended Landry after a worse season. There's risk involved, but no risk- no reward.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Rick Smith just won't go away. Grrr....

RasaqBoi and raining threes like this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

@Nook It might have been lateral in duties but not in title, money, and closer proximity to family.