1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

One more....Daryl Morey. It would be justice to make him coach the crap he has given us (minus Harden and Westbrook of course)!

2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Rick Pitino? Lol.

“Hakeem Olajuwon isn’t walking through that door...”

BaselineFade, mikol13 and HP3 like this.
  3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Oh hell no. How can anyone listen to his takes on TNT and think he would be a good coach ?

4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Scottie Brooks is tha name and don't you forget!

5. PrinceH

PrinceH Member

Difference is Raptors and Warriors GMs identified forwards to add to their already stacked backcourts which was similar to our situation. I'm not gonna crucify MDA for this chapter, for not being able to win with no real SF, no scoring PF and no versatile Center

When the Bucks come up short this year I won't criticise Bud, a very capable coach, I'll criticise the FO for not giving Giannis anyone better than Middleton as a 2nd option

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

why would you criticize the bucks? regardless of whether or not you think Middleton is good doesn't really matter. by all means, the bucks team is rated #2 and #1 on offense/defense respectively. that team as a whole has the makings of winning a championship this year as one of the handful of true contenders. It doesn't just boil down to Middleton. So when either the lakers or clippers don't win it, are you going to criticize the FO for not giving Kawhi/Lebron anyone better then pg13 or AD

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. PrinceH

PrinceH Member

They're not going to win it all this year I'm afraid, i dont see the makings of a championship team at all, they're like the EC version of us. They may even beat the regular season record, but beating a full strength Raptors in 7, I'm not confident

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're nothing like houston. raptors? the bucks will easily make it farther than the raptors

9. ch44

ch44 Member

I don't think either side is planning on a reunion next year unless this one ends in a championship. If I had to guess, Ty Lue will be the leading candidate next year.

pippendagimp and Vivi like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets legend Tai Lu? :D
    My oh my...

[​IMG]

Kornel87 likes this.
  11. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

What's the draw to Ty Lue? I just see him as a guy who fell into coaching as a retirement job. Does coaching Lebron and riding his coattails really gain you that much rep?

HP3 likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't really know how good Lue is as a coach, but at this point he has been around some big name coaches for years (if i remember well), and strikes me as a guy the players respect/like for some reason.

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Well the first Coach's Challenge Dantoni has used in like 25 games was to make sure PJ got to play extended minutes.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fire MDA for getting rid of Luc, Ariza, CP3, and 4 first rounders

HP3 likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If MDA has any shred of credibility left, he will sit James Harden down for at least a few games. This dude is clearly messed up and needs a break.

Kornel87 likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I've probably made a few posts in here but at this point in the season now i am convinced.

I dont think its a great idea to fire a coach midseason ... usually ends up poorly. You only wanna do it if the coach has lost the locker-room .

I dont think its happened here yet, but i think its slipping.

MDA's main problem as a coach is he doesn't know how to throw a changeup and he gets fixated on his fastball. What i mean by that is he directs most of his effort, and opportunity to his main/best rotation and style. His thought process is like this " Harden is best at x , therefore we will have him do x as much as possible and i will build around that." MDA loves shooting and space and the analytics have backed him up .... that might be his downfall. He has never considered that it might be better to mix strategies, or at least didnt consider it for long.

MD talks about the mistake PHX made with getting Shaq and trying to play a different style ... i think the trade was a mistake because Shaq was well past his prime. Not, because he tried to add in some variation.

MDA will do things like play short rotations, play guys though injury, not give young players any sort of consistent minutes, put the ball in his best player's hands an absurd percentage of the time, and of course small ball .... and there is a very clear reason why he does it. He is trying to "improve" his fastball . Hes trying to win every game and the way he thinks is most effective is to have his best unit(s) out there for as long as possible. On the surface it makes sense.

But what MDA ( imo) has failed to learn is that you need another pitch. IMO PJ at the 5 isnt a change-up . We are still trying to get 3's or points at the rim ... we are just trading the lob threat for more space, presumably. And when james is on the court how often is the ball not in his hands? We keep say we want vets .. why ? must be for the defense because no one outside of james has to use their brain on offense ( unless he is forced to pass in which case ... unless they are wide open or rolling to the rim they just focus on getting it back to james)

We have a predictability problem of the highest magnitude ... and when james shot is off , because of the volume it really kills us. Wouldn't it be great if james was 80% and we said " hey you can come off the bench tonight , or since youre only 80 percent we are gonna spread it around a bit more tonight." .... instead its full handling duty and the encouragement of MDA to jack up as many 3's as possible .... because "youre open"

I just fundamentally disagree with how he manages players . He can squeeze value and production out of you , BUT its not good strategy for the long-haul of the season.

On the Locker-room . I believe he still has it right now , but winning breeds chemistry and losing destroys it. IF we continue to struggle do you think WB, PJ , and James are gonna be happy ? If we continue to hemorrhage losses on the way to the ASB and we are in the 7th spot ... from an ownership perspective I'd definitely consider it. Worst case scenario is you fall apart , but i think we also get our pick back. The real worst case is to be first round fodder ( which with james i think our floor is above that normally , but our floor is lower this year)

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

James Harden is allegedly hurt and this dude played him 38 minutes in a blowout.

Amazing

smp and JW86 like this.
  18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Sam Cassell and Tyronn Lue should be Coach. Tyronn Lue as head coach and Sam as assistant

19. JW86

JW86 Member

Grizzlies are 24-24, we could end up 8th soon. Granted our roster is not great, you should be able to do more. I agree that Tucker at the 5 is nothing special, he's not that much of a floor spacer given he rarely shoots anymore. He's also hurt, Harden is, Capela is and they all play. I rather rest them and lose, so the other guys can get an opportunity, build some chemistry, gain confidence and trust. MDA will just continue to ride the guys he trusts, which doesn't go beyond 8/9 guys. This season is lost unless players save his behind.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

lets downgrade. That'll fix everything

bj3175 likes this.