1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Really? People on this board want to fire Morey EVERY YEAR. They say his personnel moves don't work. Treating players like assets is wrong. They wanted to especially fire him after 41-41... 2 years ago.

2. texian

texian Member

And Rick and Cal walk off into the sunset... with your money in their pockets and nothing to show for it.

It's time we start rewarding this pair for Osweilering and Bouyeing this franchise -- let's raise prices. [​IMG]

3. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I admit I have been one of Morey's big critics over the years but I have to give him credit. He is always swinging for the fences trying to set the Rox up as a relavent team in the NBA and it's looking like now the Rox are a legit championship contender. The Rox and Astros are light years ahead of the Texans and the organization better start finally getting a sense of urgency and stop taking the fan base in this city for granted.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bro this aint no ****ing college. He was drafted.

Nook likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's true though, he mentioned that Houston was his top destination choice in terms of teams he was excited about playing for.

Obviously ending up with the team YOU want when its not in your control is completely up to chance and luck... but ultimately he got what he wished for.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  6. texian

texian Member

[​IMG]
    CLEMSON, SC - NOVEMBER 29: Offensive Coordinator Chad Morris of the Clemson Tigers reacts with Deshaun
    Watson #4 after Watson scored a touchdown during their game against the South Carolina Gamecocks at Memorial
    Stadium on November 29, 2014 in Clemson, South Carolina. (Photo by Tyler Smith/Getty Images)

Chad Morris: Watson Told Me "I Hope It's The Texans"

April 28, 2017
    Houston (CBS HOUSTON) - The Houston Texans made a move and got a big-time quarterback for the first time since 2002. The guy they wanted also wanted them, according to Deshaun Watson's former coach Chad Morris.

Morris told Mad Radio on SportsRadio 610 Tuesday Morning that Watson wanted to be drafted by the Texans.

"After he came back from the Texans," Morris told Mike Meltser and Seth Payne. "That was it. That's was where he wanted to go. Even last night I rode the bus over with him to the red carpet and he looked over at me and he said, "Coach I hope it's the Texans."

"This is a guy that wants to be there. If you could have seen the emotion when the phone rang when we first heard Houston traded up and you heard the phone ring - he just lifts everybody up."

Morris also coached Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins in his time at Clemson and how the connection between the two should help the rookie.

“You’ll see a guy that is a veteran that will come in and help a teammate out and kind of point him in the right direction,” Morris said. “Help make some of the mistakes, some of the things that DeAndre saw early on in his transition and pass that along to Deshaun.”

Morris said he texted with Hopkins after the pick and the 4th year wide receiver was excited, like the rest of Clemson nation. DeAndre even took to twitter, like many of his teammates, to express his happiness with Watson coming to Houston.

DieHard Rocket likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I really don't care if he wants O'Brien here. OBrien doesn't protect his players.

Not because he doesn't care, but because he's dumb. He'll call a play with Chris Clark trying to block a monster and have no one in the backfield or any motion to try to confuse the defense.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The concussion issue and Watson are nonstarters.

It's up to the medical staff and the NFL to protect the players.

Watson is a rookie under contract. He can want a rocketship to Mars; he'll learn to live with whatever he is given.

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...no. There have been PLENTY of Rookies that have bad coaching and never develop. You bring in the wrong coach, you can stunt development. That is why you don't fire O'Brien.

Part of the issue with RG3 is that brought in Jay Gruden and he HATED RG3....didn't adjust his offense.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That sounds great if you believe BOB is good at developing QBs. Most of us don't buy that though.

Edit: And even if you do buy that, you probably don't (and damn well shouldn't) believe he is competent in any other arena and that will surely doom the potential of the Texans as a whole throughout his tenure.

I'm not surprised in the least bit that Watson likes BOB and wants him to stay. The chances that a rookie QB would do anything *but* feel that way are very, very small.

#1770 DonnyMost, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You don't separate the next great player from the coach that allowed him to be great. That's just ignorant. You risk slowing or stunting his progress.

mario_v likes this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm just wondering where you think the #1 offense in the league came from during the games Watson was in. Obrien was calling those plays, OB knew that Savage couldnt deal with the crap Oline so he put Watson in and it was magical. So when Savage is bad its OBriens fault and now you are about to tell me when Watson is good it's Watson? Sick of all the double standards just to hate BOB.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Best and worst potential NFL head coach openings in 2018

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21759278/ranking-best-nfl-potential-head-coach-openings-2018

14. texian

texian Member

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This has been beaten to death.

Watson moved the ball despite BOB, not because of him.

BOB did not design broken plays and scrambles.

BOB had 3 years to audition as an offensive guru and failed miserably.

Wonderkid Watson finally showing up to the party does not change that.

#1775 DonnyMost, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Nook and Rocket River like this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I’m switching back to no, under specific conditions.

He has the locker room. While I attribute 100% of this year’s limited success to Watson, he has backed OBrien. To a man, every player here for years has loved playing for OB. That’s condition 1, and it’s been met.

2, he has to hire a real OC. Someone who can allow him to manage gametime situations better.

3, something has to be done about Crennel, Vrabel and the defensive staff. I have wayyy cooled off on Vrabel being DC. I do not like the positionless hodgepodge they play.

4, last and most importantly. Rick Smith has to go. Someone dies on this hill and I choose Rick Smith. I don’t think keeping OB at HC ensures the continuation of mediocrity whereas keeping Rick Smith absolutely does.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL.......no, they don't.

red5rocket and Nimo like this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are idiot if u think that. O'Brien designed plays to take advantage of Watson. He coached up Watson to help his rapid improvement.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

LOL.

Nook likes this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont agree with his name calling or his short way of saying nothing at all sometimes but he is right about Bill having designed plays for Watson. There were a lot of misdirection screen plays that were called during Watsons playing time and only one of those same plays called for Savage that Ive seen.

red5rocket likes this.