1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The fk see what through? We have seen his limit and it's getting into playoffs to get ass blasted repeatedly. Like how many more times do we have to see that? Like if u really wanted to see it through keep hopkins and see what u could have done with a "legit Oc" calling the shots.

waytookrzy079 and red5rocket like this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Basically, Texans received one "elite" player (Tunsil) and two second round picks
    for
    Three "elite" players (counting D.Brown, Clowney and Nuk)
    Two first round picks
    A second round pick

I could be wrong about the picks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Draft Picks are overrated. -BoB, himself? But pretty sure one of dem Delusional BoB defenders said this

red5rocket likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Cliff note version (and I think you see this coming):

DOESN'T MATTER, SAM. DIVISION CHAMPS, SAM.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

@J.R. or anyone that has this

#5506 zeeshan2, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Survey says: FIRE BILL O'BRIEN & SELL THE TEAM CAL

Bill O’Brien’s favorability rating among Texans fans took a dive when he traded DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals. But understanding the pulse of a fan base requires knowing more than that, especially given the Texans’ unique power structure.

Do fans disapprove of O’Brien The Coach, or just O’Brien The GM? How confident are they that the man who empowered O’Brien, team chairman Cal McNair, will do a good job leading the franchise in the future? And if they have little faith in both men, do they trust quarterback Deshaun Watson to carry the Texans to a Super Bowl anyway?

The Athletic recently surveyed Texans fans to get answers to these questions and others. We’re not professional pollsters, but in the form of more than 300 responses, we received a closer look at an unhappy fan base.

Which best describes your feelings toward the Texans?

[​IMG]

Respondents answered this survey after the Hopkins trade, but it would’ve been interesting to see how differently they felt before that move, if at all. Dealing a superstar player in consecutive offseasons likely fuels the sense of resignation many fans appear to have.

How do you feel about the Texans’ current leadership structure?

[​IMG]

There’s a couple ways to look at these results: Fans are skeptical of an O’Brien-led organization, or they simply don’t believe coaches should hold as much power as O’Brien does. Perhaps some fans are also skeptical of the credentials of executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby, who was previously the Patriots’ character coach and the Chiefs’ chaplain, but he operates behind the scenes and doesn’t meet with reporters. O’Brien is the face of the team and this era of Texans leadership.

What grade would you give O’Brien and the Texans’ front office since the team fired GM Brian Gaine?

[​IMG]

Forget O’Brien’s moves as GM. What grade would you give O’Brien for his most recent season as Texans head coach?

[​IMG]

On March 15, when the Texans agreed to re-sign cornerback Bradley Roby, a reader commented: “Pretty happy so far with GM BoB so far.. still early….”

That reader had no idea. A day later, Hopkins was no longer part of the Texans. And the segment of fans who thought O’Brien is a better general manager than coach appears to have faded — if it was even significant in the first place.

A sizable portion of respondents gave O’Brien a B for his work as a coach during the 2019 season. But only seven people gave the front office a B for its work since Gaine’s firing.

Which recent Texans trade do you dislike the most?

[​IMG]

Which recent Texans trade do you like the most?

[​IMG]

No surprise when it came to the least popular trade. But it’s interesting to see most likeable trade generated such mixed results.

The Carlos Hyde deal has plenty of fans, but I’d argue the trades for Gareon Conley and Duke Johnson brought back better value. Houston traded offensive lineman Martinas Rankin, a 2018 third-round pick, for one season of Hyde. The Texans gave up 2020 third-rounders for Johnson and Conley, but they’re under team control for at least one and two more seasons, respectively. Johnson could take over a bigger role in the offense this season, and Conley is one of the team’s top corners.

How many games do you think the Texans will win this season?

[​IMG]

The Texans have won 10-plus games each of the past two seasons and recorded at least nine victories in five of O’Brien’s six years in Houston, but based on these results, most fans don’t expect the team to make the playoffs.

Will Watson win a Super Bowl as Texans QB?

[​IMG]

Will Watson win a Super Bowl as Texans QB while O’Brien is his head coach?

[​IMG]

I’m surprised nearly half of respondents think Watson will never win a Super Bowl for the Texans. Yes, winning one is incredibly difficult and requires a million things to break a team’s way, but he’s also one of football’s best young quarterbacks. I wonder how much of the skepticism regarding whether Watson ever wins one is tied to the fact O’Brien will be his coach for the foreseeable future. Fans clearly have little confidence that pairing will be good enough to win a title.

Do you approve of the job Cal McNair has done as team chairman?

[​IMG]

Do you trust Cal McNair to run the franchise well moving forward?

[​IMG]

Since taking over as the leader of the franchise, McNair’s most significant decisions have been firing Gaine and promoting O’Brien to general manager. So these results are easy to understand. If fans don’t believe in O’Brien, then they probably don’t approve of McNair.

SWTsig, B-Bob, raining threes and 5 others like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Report: Bill O'Brien's 'Conviction' Has 'Intrigue ... Appreciation' Around NFL

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nviction-has-intrigue-appreciation-around-nfl

raining threes likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOLOLOL. Intrigue...? Other GMs "respect" it cause they want to be the next to fleece him.

B-Bob and red5rocket like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/1710367/

How do the Ravens get more in return for Hayden Hurst than Houston got for DeAndre Hopkins? If Bill O’Brien doesn’t make the playoffs and win a game is he done? I can’t imagine a hotter seat in the league. — Chris K.

Jay Glazer: His seat has been hot for five years but he keeps going to the playoffs, over and over and over. Last year, people went crazy because of what he gave up for Laremy Tunsil and what he got for Clowney. What did they do? They went and won the division. I know we get up in arms about a lot of things, but I don’t know. I have to be honest with you: They just keep winning in the regular season. I understand the outrage. I wonder how you could not have gotten more for Hopkins, and man, you gave up way too much for Tunsil but they just keep winning. If they were 6-10, I don’t blame you for throwing your hands up in the air, but they’re not. It just keeps working out.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Free agency in the NFL is in the rearview mirror for the most part. The NFL Draft is still more than three weeks away. What exactly is there to talk about in the world of sports in general and the NFL in particular?

May I suggest Bill O’Brien?

I think a compelling case can be made that the trade the Texans’ general manager/head coach recently made, sending DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals, is the worst in NFL history. All the television debate shows and sports talk radio shows can feel free to chew on that one for a day or two.

But wait, there’s more.

If you look at the personnel decisions he has made since Brian Gaine was surprisingly fired in June after just 17 months, I believe a strong argument can be made that he is also the worst GM of all time, albeit with a relatively small sample size. That could be a healthy discussion on my podcast or Radio.com show for a few days as well.

I’m not saying he is the worst GM ever or that the Hopkins trade was the worst one on record. I’m just saying that both are absolutely in the discussion. It is not hyperbole or a “hot take,” as so many people want to have in our culture these days. Let’s just examine the facts.

We’ll start on the micro level with the Hopkins trade because it’s a doozy. Hopkins has missed exactly two games in seven seasons. He’s a 27-year-old coming off his third straight All-Pro and Pro Bowl season. He’s also under contract for the next three seasons at $13.3 million per year, which is a steal compared to the $22 million per year Julio Jones is receiving or the deal for $20 million per season Amari Cooper just signed. Hopkins reportedly wants a new contact, and that clearly factored into the Texans’ decision, but managing those situations is part of the business of having a star player like Hopkins. He is without question a top-five wide receiver and some would argue he’s the best.

The Texans traded him to the Cardinals for running back David Johnson and a second-round pick, and the teams swapped fourth-round picks as well. The fourth-round pick the Cardinals received is for this year while the one they shipped to Houston is for 2021, so Arizona getting the more valuable fourth-round pick of the two is just the icing on the cake.

Whether it is the worst trade of all time really depends on how one feels about Johnson and his contract. The 28-year-old running back is coming off back-to-back seasons in which he averaged 3.7 yards per carry or worse, and most people saw concerning signs in his game, especially late in the season, that indicated his days as a quality running back are well behind him. The consensus among people I spoke to around the league is that nobody would have taken on Johnson’s contract, which has $10.2 million guaranteed for 2020 with another $2.1 million guaranteed in 2021. That means the Cardinals couldn’t have even given him away. If they wanted to get out from the burden of that contract, they would have to give up a draft pick, like the Texans did when they shipped Brock Osweiler, his $16 million guaranteed salary and a second-round pick to Cleveland in 2017. That’s how Michael Ginnitti, who owns and operates the popular contract website Spotrac, looked at the trade.

“To me, the second-round pick that Houston got from Arizona is canceled out by taking on the Johnson contract,” Ginnitti told me last week on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast.

Which would mean that Hopkins was traded for … nothing.

Even if you think Ginnitti is exaggerating the albatross of taking on Johnson, there is no question he reduces the value of the pick the Texans received. So, did they trade arguably the best wide receiver with three palatable years on his contract for a fourth-round pick? No matter how you choose to value it, we are talking about a pittance compared to the first-, fourth-, fifth- and sixth-round picks the Minnesota Vikings picked up when they traded wide receiver Stefon Diggs and a seventh-round pick to the Buffalo Bills a few days after the Hopkins trade.

A simple search bringing up the worst trades of all time will include the Saints sending every pick in the draft in 1999, as well as first- and third-round picks in 2000, to the Redskins for Ricky Williams, or the Vikings’ infamous trade for the Cowboys’ Herschel Walker, but in those instances, the team known for making the terrible trade at least got a good player in return. The Texans, according to Ginnitti and others, essentially gave up Hopkins for nothing.

Unfortunately — or fortunately, depending on your perspective — this is nothing new for O’Brien in Houston.

In August, he gave a third-round pick to Cleveland for pass-catching running back Duke Johnson. In an era in which smart teams continue to devalue running backs, giving up a third-round pick in order to pay $4 million per year to a guy who had 410 rushing yards and 410 receiving yards is absurd. That his skill set is redundant given what David Johnson might still be able to do just makes it comical.

Then, in September, O’Brien traded his first-round picks over the next two years, a second-round pick in 2021 and a couple of players (Johnson Bademosi and Julien Davenport) to the Dolphins for left tackle Laremy Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a fourth-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2021. Again, he showed his lack of contract acumen by failing to get a long-term deal done with Tunsil at the time of the trade as the left tackle now has incredible leverage and will become the highest-paid offensive lineman ever when he signs his next contract. Plus, Stills’ contract was one the Dolphins were looking to shed and O’Brien gladly took that one.

At least the trades for Tunsil and Duke Johnson were an indication the Texans were all-in on the 2019 season and looking to seize the rare opportunity of having a franchise quarterback on his rookie contract, right?

Wrong. Shortly after trading Tunsil, O’Brien sent defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, who had been given the franchise tag, to the Seattle Seahawks for a third-round pick and a couple of role players in Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo. It was only made more curious when the Texans decided to pay $7 million of Clowney’s $15 million salary. It would be hard to make that up, but it’s true.

Even the third-round pick they sent to the Raiders for Gareon Conley in October seems rich. He’s an inconsistent cornerback and the Texans may not even exercise his fifth-year contract option, meaning they could have him for only one more year.

Then you have, of course, the Hopkins trade, but we’ve already been there and done that.

Again, any discussion of the worst general managers in NFL history will bring up names like Matt Millen and Mike Brown, but I would encourage you to compare their track records with the epic nine months O’Brien has had and give him strong consideration.

After all, he’s earned it.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Am I missing something here? Appreciation around the NFL, then quotes one person stating, "Do I agree with the moves he's made? No!..." That one person (and the rest of the NFL) probably does appreciate O'Brien's conviction and doing it his way, here in Houston and far away from their organization.

14. conquistador#11

Had he been around, Does king billy cut Arian Foster in 2009 training camp or Before the Oakland Raiders game in 2010?
    He doesn't have self control to be a GM.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/31/business-of-football-tom-brady-bill-obrien

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who the hell is Ross Tucker to call me worst GM ever?!

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Rick Smith were here we would not be having these trade, FA issues and the team would be in a much better place.

Fire Bill O'Brien

TheRealist137 likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You suck too! Ross Tucker! You suck too! motherf***er! F*** you Ross Tucker!

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...Revisionist History. Y'all ALL wanted Rick Smith gone.

BoB has his plan. Whether it works or not, is probably up to him and if these moves makes the team better. Right now, they are not a better team. Let's see what happens in the draft, and if the get Tunsil signed.

Going around in a circle about Hopkins' trade was the WORST ever and BoB is the worst ever doesn't change anything. We as fans are stuck with it (until Cal.......). Might as well enjoy the show (Good or Bad) since we are all stuck without Sports for now....LOL.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I never wanted Rick gone because I always knew that Rick was not the problem. Willy B has always been the issue. Now we are all seeing it first hand.

conquistador#11 likes this.