1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don't why he was fired.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

?

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't know either.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They are the fourth winningest NBA team since 2010, and 1of just 5 teams to win at least 60% of their games during that period. And yet, the Rockets are:
    - the only 1 of the 5 to not make the finals ('10-'19);
    - the only 1 of the 5 with an overall losing series record in the postseason ('10-'19)

The Rockets' overall playoff record (50.7%) ranks 4th ahead of just the Thunder (who've made the WCF four times in during this time period)

Among the 10 winningest teams of the decade, the Rockets are:
    - 1 of only 3 to not make the finals ('10-'19)
    - 1 of only 3 to not make the conference finals at least three teams (and one of those, Toronto, won a championship)
    - 1 of only 4 with an overall losing series record in the postseason ('10-19)

And their postseason record between 2000-2009 - in which they were the 9th winningest team in the NBA - is downright dreadful (1-5 in postseason series; 16-22 overall)

The *only* legitimate counter argument to the Rockets being an annual underachiever/disappointment (and, frankly, the *only* reason they nose slightly ahead of the Texans) is a fluke WCF trip against the *only* team of the past 10 years that has been a bigger disappointment (the Clippers) and a total collapse against the Warriors that delusional Rocket fans seem to want to pretend was a championship because HAMSTRING! while just conveniently ignoring the team's utter and consistent underachievement in the playoffs the past 24 years.

But I'm the apologist/homer?......

One of the top teams in the NBA... with the least to show for it, other than make-believe HAMSTRING! titles.

The Texans, btw, rank 12th overall ('10-'19) in the NFL. They have 6 playoff appearances; Rockets, 7. They are 4-6 (40%) in the postseason; Rockets, 6-7 (46.2%).

Look at those results and remember that the Rockets were the 4th winningest team in the NBA... and also that I was unironically called an apologist/homer by people who think the Rockets' decade is significantly better than the Texans'. Sure, it is.

6. Major

Major Member

justtxyank and the11mingdynasty like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Did u factored in that the Rockets had the to play inthe uber competitive Southwest division, hard as sht western conference, coupled in that they got bounced out of the playoff more than half the time they got in this decade by the one of the greatest team to ever exist in nba history. And then when u look at texans situation, u should b able to see y people viewed y Rockets are better significantly than the texans.

Rockets generate news cause they are competitors, texans generate news cause they are a joke plus watson.

8. Mr. Clutch

I predict he gets fired next year.

The team will suck next year. losing record, miss playoffs, to much incompetence at all levels

juanm34 likes this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Keep hoping for the Texans to fail.

gotitans.com
    Titansreport.com

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think 6-10 will get it done. Anything over that and they won't have the stones.

11. Mr. Clutch

Keep being a BOOF

Sooty and the11mingdynasty like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We don't want Texans to fail u BoB fan, we just want the incompetent coach fired, so we can either A) rebuild/tank or B) make a push further in playoffs. We can't do jack sht with this coach, he's literally preventing us from doing either since he's the hc, gm and god knows what else.
    Keep riding BoB jock. It's only been two weeks since his incompetence screwed us over, but here u are back on it again like the playoffs never happened.

Might as well wait another season to grade our coach huh?

#5272 DatRocketFan, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not a Bob fan. Want him gone. Want a new Offensive scheme.

However, Bob is not going anywhere.....b****ing is not going to change that. Getting him to make changes will.

You suck a dick.......Im sure you can fine one.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

How do I suck a dick if u supposedly agree with me that we "both want him gone". The difference between u and me is that u are wishy washy on what u really want (your thoughts on BoB so far inconsistent: i want him gone, I want a different offensive scheme, I'm on the fence), I been straight forward that I want the incompetent hc gone no matter what he does. He's not gonna magically get competent/better in his 7th year as a coach. At this point, hiring any one with any hint of potential is way better than running it again with BoB.

#5274 DatRocketFan, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Sooty and the11mingdynasty like this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Come on, guys. It takes TIME to build a team and take it to the conference championship. This isn't something a 2nd year head coach with no previous experience can to. It takes YEARS.

I'm sorry, what?

Oh...

But seriously, did anyone else find it frustrating that 3 of the 4 head coaches in the conference championship games were either fired or hired away from the Texans? I mean, I know that's the way it goes in the NFL...you stick around long enough and you'll eventually work for every team in the league. But it's still kind of frustrating knowing that we're still stuck with BOB.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

BoB can't fire himself...yes the D had some issues this year, but so did the offensive play calling. In the end, he's hear for another few years until his contract runs out...Then Jason Garrett will be the coach haha

juanm34 likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not going to keep responding because it's obviously pointless.

Sooty and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agreed, but it's all we can do at this point. It's kind of therapeutic for me, to be honest....

Just an FYI below:

With Andy Reid winning the AFC Championship, the award for the coach with the longest tenure in the league without a Superbowl (or Conference championship) appearance goes to......our very own Bill O'Brien! Congratulations, Bill!

He's actually tied with Mike Zimmer (Vikings), but still....

Texans head coach is a sweet gig if you can get it. The only way you can possibly get fired is going 2-14!

plutoblue11, juanm34 and justtxyank like this.
  19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Seems like an upgrade at this point. :(

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Saleh and Lafleur were babies when they were with the Texans but I get what you mean. Shanahan was also really young and I don't see any way he was going to get the gig after Kubiak when the offense is so similar. Not to mention, it took him what, four more years after we fired Kubes to finally get a HC gig?

Watching that Titans team succeed though makes you feel really shitty about OB though.